Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting but misinformed piece about BB on local radio in waterford

Options
  • 08-12-2004 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

I happened to be listening to the radio at 1am this morning and tuned into Beat 102-103 fm, they had a piece about the report that were paying to high a price for our internet access

Some nonce came on then from the telecommunications and internet group spouting on about 100,000 lines enable and 80% coverage blah blah blah

Its interesting that even locally the ignorance shown by people about the BB situation is just downright sad

I intend to write an e-mail now just to show my disgust at the whole piece

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

**** i hapened to catch the replay of your show at 1 am this morning and the piece that caught my attention was the part about internet prices are to high in ireland, the person you had on was sadly regurgitating Eircom propaganda.

The figures hes quoting of 80% penetration and 100,000 lined being enabled are only accurate in the minds of eircoms spin doctors.

The truth of the matter is simply that the Network that we pay the highest line rental in europe for is a crumbling mess of patched up cable and some are in such a bad state that they will only be able to carry voice signal only.

Because theres no predefined number for functional internet access as of last year, eircom are not obliged to fix your line to enable you to receive Broadband if your line fails the eircom broadband checker.

The biggest sticking point at the moment is pairgain splitter boxes, these boxes split your line off multiply to other households as nothing more than a cost cutting measure by eircom, if these are on your line you will not under any circumstances receive broadband until these are removed, thats a herculean task at best.

In finishing id just like to direct yourself and your team to the following website

www.irelandoffline.org

In there is a wealth of information as reagrds what the actual situation is if you wish to do a follow up piece on this in the future, also theres contact numbers there for the committee members who would be more than willing to come on the show to talk about this problem

Yours Sincerely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Well done Shinzon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Well then. IrelandOffline will be on BeatFM around 2.30pm(ish) today to give a consumers perspective on this.

The person they had on yesterday was Tommy McCabe from IBEC.

damien.m wrote:
    Well then. IrelandOffline will be on BeatFM around 2.30pm(ish) today to give a consumers perspective on this.

The person they had on yesterday was Tommy McCabe from IBEC.

Wow that was quick, at least another perspective will be heard

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

It's worth pointing out that Beat covers the whole of the south-east, not just Waterford. The show will be repeated tonight from midnight.

listen online

• Advertisement

I caught the last couple of minutes of the interview last night on the beat replay, i have to say it was a very good informed rebuttal to what tommy mccabe said the day before.

To be honest Niall seemed exasperated as the facts and figures were laid out in front of him

Well done to Beat for contacting Irelandoffline and well done to damien for talking to them

Shin

Advertisement