Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please remove search term limitations

Options
  • 08-12-2004 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search

Could it be possible for words that are deemed too short (i.e. less than 4 characters) be included in posts? This has the potential to cause problems when trying to find threads that already exist in certain forums, e.g. a search on the computer boards for "IBM RAM Problems" will drop the two most important words.

Can this be lifted please?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Could it be possible for words that are deemed too short (i.e. less than 4 characters) be included in posts? This has the potential to cause problems when trying to find threads that already exist in certain forums, e.g. a search on the computer boards for "IBM RAM Problems" will drop the two most important words.

Can this be lifted please?

use the google one on the front page. (searched here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Good and all as Google usually are, I have a tendency not to trust their site specific searches, they usually don't return great results... Seems to be an exception here so far though. But you still don't get the more advanced features like single forum searching, or search by username...

I'm sure most people will try the inbuilt search first though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Use the asterix key.

i.e. search for IBM*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

You can use an asterisk alright. It also can have the effect of kicking the DB server in the goolies if too many people use it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It appears like a cray cluster is in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The thing I don't like about search is you search for a term and it shows you the thread but you have to read through all the posts to try and find the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

CTRL-F TBH

Also search for post, not for thread (on the VB3 search not google)

Advertisement