Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do I need to keep in my car?

Options
  • 08-12-2004 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Just having a big clean up (Mickey D's wrappers galore) and noticed that I carry a lot of crap related to my car. If I have the standard 3 things on my windscreen, do I need anything else besides Insurance details and my license? For example, do I need that letter you get when you pay your road tax,etc? I'll keep everything, just the less in the car, the better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The one thing missing from your list is your Drivers License. You have to have that with you at all times.

As for the disks, as long as you have those, you don't need anything else (letters etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

If you get stopped they may ask you to produce your insurance details at a station. You don't have to have the NCT on display either but have it to hand in case they ask for it. It's a good idea to get a torch in case of a break down/flat tyre. I have a rad led head torch which is perfect, you can still point it at what you want and use both hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

So license is all I need then? If I get in an accident (knock on head) there are enough details on my insurance disk?

They will want you to produce your insurance within ten days if you have an accident. Your disc is not enough. Then again, I called the cops to a parked car that had both fake insurance and tax discs and no NCT and they couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. The driver had already caused an accident two weeks previous with another car with no tax, insurance or nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Ah, sorry, FX, your reply came while I was posting my last response. License + insurance details. Got it. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

also an illuminous vest and a sheet of cardboard in case you break down at night

Well as regards the insurane they will just ask you to produce the cert/letter at a station you nominate within ten days. You show up and they just record it in a book at the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

I'm curious as to what people think about having to have your driving license in the car with you. Personally, I find it a pain in the a*se. If it was the credit card type like in the US, there would be no problem, just leave it in your wallet. Instead we have a flimsy awkwardly sized piece of paper that's too big for the average sized wallet. Then if you leave it in the car - and the car gets broken into - Johnny scumbag knows your name, address and what you look like! God forbid you leave house keys or somthing similar in the car by mistake!

I've heard they were going to introduce a credit card type license - over a year ago :rolleyes:

DC.

Just keepit stashed somewhere in the car where they wouldn't find it. I keep the overide key for my alarm and €200 hidden in case I need either at short notice. As for the drivers license just fold it over so it fits in your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

FX Meister wrote:
    Just keepit stashed somewhere in the car where they wouldn't find it. I keep the overide key for my alarm and €200 hidden in case I need either at short notice. As for the drivers license just fold it over so it fits in your wallet.
    TWO HUNDRED QUID?! I'm off to 'Pics of my ride' to see if I can find and nick it :D And when did anyone ever need hookers and coke in an emergency. Hmm - thinks to self, must remember for next crash....€200 eh?

My car isn't worth €200 and I rarely even lock it, but I carry a Maglite, insurance disk (tax if I have it) and my license in my wallet (theres always lots of room in my wallet...)

Hey dcGT - buy a bigger wallet ya posey git!!

'c

PS Rep is gone - I can say what I like. Hehe.

• Advertisement

I ain't got any pictures up. But I do have it really well hidden so you would have to know I had it in the car before you started looking and then it would take you probably a few hours to find it, if you found it at all.

Hey dcGT - buy a bigger wallet ya posey git!!

A bigger wallet would just look emptier ;) Why can't I carry my license AND up-to-date in the latest wallet trends? :D

DC.

FX Meister wrote:
    I ain't got any pictures up. But I do have it really well hidden so you would have to know I had it in the car before you started looking and then it would take you probably a few hours to find it, if you found it at all.

Sounds dangerously like a challenge to me. There could be many a guess to follow :D

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

FX Meister wrote:

in the ashtray ? :D

also according to :
    http://www.drivingtest.ie/drivingtest/HTMLContent/faqs.html

Q. Is it necessary to display a National Car Test disc?

A. It is a legal requirement that the NCT disc is displayed on any car that has undergone the NCT. Your driving test will not be conducted if the NCT disc is not displayed on cars having undergone the NCT.

last time Garda made me put the disk where it should be on the windscreen

as was in glove box :)

Well I was involved in a crash a while ago, the garda on the scene said it was grand that I had it stuffed behind the insurance disc. I also got stopped for a u turn at speed at 2AM in the morning a while ago, I couldn't tell him why I was in the area and it looked really dodgy but he didn't care that it was behind the insurance disc, he thought I didn't have one and then when I said it was behind my insurane he said it was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

might be worth having a can of 'de-icer' in the car(i have no idea of what they're called)..

Its good if you're in work all day and the windows are covered in ice/frost/whatever when you get out of work and the wipers can't them off..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A blanket and a first aid kit and an emergency triangle woundn't go astray.

Victor wrote:
    A blanket...
    and a flask of hot sweet tea and some marmalade sandwiches.

Alec Issigonis, the guy who designed the original Mini put two compartments either side of the rear seat and ordered that they be made big enough to hold two bottles of Gordons Gin. I think gin is a good thing to have in your car, just in case.

I so want to say that I keep my dead ex-girlfriend in the boot of my car, but it wouldn't be true. That was my last car.

'c

and a flask of hot sweet tea and some marmalade sandwiches.
    Actually no, hot drinks deceive the body into thinking it is actually warmer than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I so want to say that I keep my dead ex-girlfriend in the boot of my car, but it wouldn't be true. That was my last car.

Lol. always worth having a baseball bat and plastic sheeting for similar purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

A few items I carry -

- Camera (handy for evidence in event of accident!)
    - Tow rope
    - Safety jump leads (i.e. the leads that go from cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter)
    - First Aid Kit
    - Warning Triangle
    - De Icer
    - A couple of small rags (to clean hands)
    - Tyre Weld aerosol

.............. must get a dayglo vest !

Eh, how hard is it to get a 3 pocket disc holder and display your NCT discs properly !! ....... ........for god's sake !

Silvera wrote:
    Eh, how hard is it to get a 3 pocket disc holder and display your NCT discs properly !! ....... ........for god's sake !
    How about going the whole hog for the parking permit also?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

sarcism will get you nowhere Victor ! :D

newband wrote:
    might be worth having a can of 'de-icer' in the car(i have no idea of what they're called)..

Its good if you're in work all day and the windows are covered in ice/frost/whatever when you get out of work and the wipers can't them off..

Amen to the heated front windscreens!

DC.

Victor wrote:
    Actually no, hot drinks deceive the body into thinking it is actually warmer than it is.
    It draws the heat away from the core where it is needed the most. Resuce teams in the UK stick chocolate up your ass if they come across a hypothermic victim, here in Ireland they only put it in your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Silvera wrote:
    - A couple of small rags (to clean hands)
    !

A couple of pairs of disposable gloves are handier!

FX Meister wrote:
    It draws the heat away from the core where it is needed the most. Resuce teams in the UK stick chocolate up your ass if they come across a hypothermic victim, here in Ireland they only put it in your mouth.
    No, I'm sure you are wrong. They stick a hypodermic up your ass and they eat the chocolate themselves. Hot sweet tea is for treating shock victims but should on no account be givin to someone who may be injured or require surgery. They should be given strong drink ie GIN (see earlier post).

My wife used keep a can of deodorant in her car to spray in the eyes of muggers - I always pictured some pleasant smelling guy trying to buy smack with the contents of her handbag....

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

So back to the gin then so...

No, I'm sure you are wrong. They stick a hypodermic up your ass and they eat the chocolate themselves. 'c
    Not at all, it is what they do, it's the fastest way to treat the condition.

As for someone mentioning gin, again if it's cold it's not recommended as it thins the blood and makes the problem worse.

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote:
    Not at all, it is what they do, it's the fastest way to treat the condition.

As for someone mentioning gin, again if it's cold it's not recommended as it thins the blood and makes the problem worse.
    Someone is kidding someone - are you trying to suggest that if I have an accident in the UK a burly ambulanceman is going to try and probe me with his chocolate santa to make me better? No-one would ever crash if that was the case. Well almost no-one.

As for the gin, everybody knows that alcohol is a vasodilator and increases blood low to the extremities. It increases heart rate and slows reaction rates but is great for helping nervous guys chat up girls who have ideas above their station.

'c

Somebody close this thread - its gone silly. But that was probably my fault...

Advertisement