Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescott 3.0ghz Expectations on water . ??????

Options
  • 08-12-2004 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get this chip http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=123709&cks=PRL for a mate, he's got a watercoling rig, with pc4300 ram, wats is the max safe vcore u can put pressies up to???? Can i expect 3.6ghz or higher from this chip (id love to push it to near 3.8ghz, but ive heard prescotts dont take too well to higher vcores),

I got his old p4 (2.8ghz 400mhz bus) runnin stable @ 3.4ghz at sumthin like 1.65vcore (way over standard, watever i have it at). I know this degrades chip quicker , but he didnt care about this, (big game player, wants more ghz, ;) lol)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Your safe up to aboout 1.525-1.55 vcore. That's actual running vcore and not what you have it set to as it tends to run .025-.05 less than what's set in BIOS. If he's getting the chip new he should get a D0 stepping. If he's lucky he might get the newer E0. The C0 stepping is the worst. He should be able to push 3.8-4ghz with a newer stepping and a decent psu. I have my older C0 at 3.6 on air.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

ah u must be able to push the vcore higher than that for better stability. 3.8ghz wuld be class, 4ghz wuld be amazin

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Cant see it reaching 4ghz....
    Gotta be careful of those Prescott's.....

yeh i heard they can be damaged very easily by more vcore. True????? has anyone experienced that here??

BloodBath wrote:
    Your safe up to aboout 1.525-1.55 vcore. That's actual running vcore and not what you have it set to as it tends to run .025-.05 less than what's set in BIOS. If he's getting the chip new he should get a D0 stepping. If he's lucky he might get the newer E0. The C0 stepping is the worst. He should be able to push 3.8-4ghz with a newer stepping and a decent psu. I have my older C0 at 3.6 on air.

BloodBath
    By the way is it pot luck which stepping model u get from komplett , they say the P/N is BX80546PG3000E, i checked the intel website and it doesnt say which stepping models these are. Is it worth emailing komplett before i order and ask them do they have any E0 models???or at least d0????

it says
    3E GHz800 MHz BX80546PG3000E RK80546PG080 1M 90 nm

Dont know much about intel chips being an amd man myself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Can't say I'm a fan of these new E0 steppings. I don't like the thought of a cpu switching itself off however breifly when it reaches a certain temp. Going by intels guidelines in purchasing components and coolers the new 3.8Ghz cpu's would not be considered stable at that speed. If your gonna E0 make sure you invest in a good cooler. However your water cooling should do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

Intel Stock cooler for the socket 775 is so bad I cant even run mine full load at stock speed with Intel cooling, have to lower the stock 3.4 to 2.8 or temp will reach 75c!!

just as well I got watercool tho but still upgrading the water kit!

btw gline, that chip is socket 478 so stepping is C0,D0 is socket 775!

btw gline, that chip is socket 478 so stepping is C0,D0 is socket 775!

The steppings available for s478 are C0,Do and E0. For s775 it's D0 and E0.
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp?ProcFam=483&CorSpd=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&PkgType=ALL

C0 aren't made anymore and have not been made for quite some time so most of the stock of them is gone. Most new chips sold are D0's, the E0's are only out a month or so a lot of old stock is still D0. You should get either a D0 or an E0. Both are great.
    ah u must be able to push the vcore higher than that for better stability. 3.8ghz wuld be class, 4ghz wuld be amazin

Not unless you want to fry in within a couple of months. The generally accepted vcore limit is 1.525-1.55. It's enough to take it to 3.8-4ghz stable on a lot of chips.
    Cant see it reaching 4ghz....

4ghz is a possible target, it's been done a lot on water. You should get at least 3.8 with that fast ram. Just make sure you have a good psu with very steady rails.

BloodBath

BloodBath wrote:
    The steppings available for s478 are C0,Do and E0. For s775 it's D0 and E0.
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp?ProcFam=483&CorSpd=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&PkgType=ALL

C0 aren't made anymore and have not been made for quite some time so most of the stock of them is gone. Most new chips sold are D0's, the E0's are only out a month or so a lot of old stock is still D0. You should get either a D0 or an E0. Both are great.

Not unless you want to fry in within a couple of months. The generally accepted vcore limit is 1.525-1.55. It's enough to take it to 3.8-4ghz stable on a lot of chips.

4ghz is a possible target, it's been done a lot on water. You should get at least 3.8 with that fast ram. Just make sure you have a good psu with very steady rails.

BloodBath
    Thanks for the help man, we'll see in a few weeks wat i get with it, not my pc anyway, but i'll still push it to its limits , lol

No problem man. 4ghz is the milestone that most P4 overclockers with good cooling go for. Good luck with that.

BloodBath

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote:
    No problem man. 4ghz is the milestone that most P4 overclockers with good cooling go for. Good luck with that.

BloodBath
    Yep, but most over clockers with GREAT cooling , ie phasechange or better would go for way more than 4.0ghz, LOL ;)

Advertisement