Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP/2000 Utility

• 08-12-2004 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this should be in programming but, has anybody come across a utility/piece of code that will disable the ctrl+alt+del functionality within XP and 2000?

Cheers in advance,

Hobart.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

i think you can disable it through regedit but im not sure of the right line cos the computer im on has that disabled too stupid college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Run >> gpedit.msc
    User configuration / Administrative templates / System / Ctrl + Alt + Del Options /
    Go nuts.

The above is correct for XP Pro, other versions may differ.
    You'll need to log out and log back in again for changes to take effect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

also have a google for autologon - it's in the reg so usual doom warnings apply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Thanks a million lads. Top info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

You can also do this with a Group policy if you need to do it to more than one computer.

If its for simplicity for your parents however I find that the easest way is to select a user under "User's and Computers" in control panel, select a user and
    tick the box to select that user to automatically log in each time the pc starts. That way it bypasses the log in bit completly.

Their is also a box you can tick in "User's and Computers" advanced to select that you dont have to log in each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

You can also do this with a Group policy if you need to do it to more than one computer.

If its for simplicity for your parents however I find that the easest way is to select a user under "User's and Computers" in control panel, select a user and
    tick the box to select that user to automatically log in each time the pc starts. That way it bypasses the log in bit completly.

Their is also a box you can tick in "User's and Computers" advanced to select that you dont have to log in each time.
    Thanks for the reply. I want to stop users having the ability to run "Lock Computer", "Change Password" etc... from within XP and 2000. I think SantaHoe's solution will work.

Advertisement