Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox versus PS2

Options
  • 08-12-2004 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

As we approach Christmas, I want to buy a games console. Upgrade my PS1.

Should I buy a PS2 or a Xbox.
    Which is better, are the games cheaper, which is easier to MOD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

*puts on flame proof pants*

Depends on the games you want to play really.
    Halo1/2/ninja gaiden etc - get an xbox
    GTA san andreas, rpg's, burnout 3 etc, - ps2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Oh christ here we go..*takes cover under an expected barrage of PEE ESS TEWW IS TEH BEST NO XBOX IS TEH BEST U SUCK NO YOOR MA SUCKS type posts* And then itll eventually degenerate into people comparing the tech specs of each console, and i'll die a little inside :rolleyes:

But err yeah..each to his own, i own all 3 consoles and at the mo id say xbox over ps2, simply cause nothings been out on the ps2 lately thats been any way decent. Well GTA:SA, but thats about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

get a cube! nuff said really!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS2 IZ TEH WIN. XBOX IZ TEH SUXOR. GC IZ GEY.

Don't write off the Gamecube. Some absolutely fantastic exclusive games and great for 4-player.

Despite the Xbox being more powerful I'd go for the PS2.

Advantages of PS2:

Most of the games come out on it.
    Better selection of Japanese games.
    Great RPGs (well if you get it chipped)
    GTA: SA :)
    Decent platformers

Disadvantages:
    Worse loading times.
    Worse graphics on 3rd party games.
    Rubbish internet gaming

Xbox has some good exclusives namely Halo 1+2, Panzer Dragoon and Ninja Gaiden but I feel that The PS2 has the better exclusives. Most of the xbox catalogue are soulless boring american developed games.

However the desirability of the xbox grows quite a bit if you get it modified and for on-line games xbox-live is the best way to experience them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

heres a crazy idea , find out what games u like , find out what console their most likely to be on and buy that one , instead of this thread turning into teh xbux is teh the best/ppp ess 2 is kik a$s and so on and so fourth

Besides why bother with all of those consoels when clearly the Atari Jaguar is the hot item this this xmas?! :D

this is 1993 yes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You might have a problem getting your hands on a PS2 this side of the New Year - they're in short supply.

Oh, and I'm f-ing surprised - 5/7 posts are think-about-what-games-you-want-ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

heh, xbox vs ps2 ... just the pros

ps2:
    large collection of games
    can play your existing PSOne games
    GTA: San Andreas
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Final Fantasy series
    EyeToy - if you're into that sort of thing
    Gran Turismo

xbox:
    X-Box Live!
    Halo//Halo 2
    not great exclusives, but usually better graphics for multi console games
    so if you're a fan of EA Games, get an X-Box
    Besides, a few of the better X-Box games will get ported to the PC ...

come to think of it, even the PS2 games get ported to the PC ... oh decisions , decisions ...oh and test the gamepad for xbox first if you're comfortable with it...because you might have gotten used to the Playstation controller by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

PC tbh :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

there have been dozens of threads about this,use the search option tofind all you need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i have all 3 consoles and play my ps2 more often, and the coming months look quite good for the ps2. right now we have our fps appetites whetted via killzone, then there's gta, which needs no introduction. in january gran turismo4 is out, and in march we have metal gear solid 3. then of course there's area51, mercenaries and others...

xbox has halo2 though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

From my experience with both consoles, If you have Broadband get the Xbox if not PS2. Both platforms have quality games but alot of the Xbox greats are designed around Live. As the PS2 has better single player games, in-depth RPGS and of Course GTA. Id pick a Gamecube though, €120 w/ mazza kart and all the top notch exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

RuggieBear wrote:
    PC tbh :D

Mac tbfh.

G4 400Mhz, Rage128 32meg, 256Meg DDR266 ooooh yeah

One button, one choice - be fruity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Xbox is a lot easier to MOD.

Not one of you read the question shame on you all :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The worst part of these threads is people adding in extra choices. The man asked PS2 or XBOX. simple ****in question.
    Every time, "neither get a GC", "Neither get a PC". I hate the PC suggestions the most, if pc was an option there would be no question..

Oh and I own an xbox and am very happy with it. 4 player is great fun as is xbox live.
    And in terms of modding, i personally haven't modded mine (i play live) but have seen one in action and its brilliant. i considered buying a second xbox purely because of its ease to mod and what you can actually do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Go to Game and look at the games for both consoles. Then decide. It's really up to what kind of games you like playing, and which one suits your tastes better.

I love my (modded) Xbox :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭omathuna

Wow, guys thanks for the advice.
    I feel I stepped on a landmine.

I like modding and have broadband so with the research I have done it will be an Xbox.

Thanks again

Just be sure to read up on modding and people getting banned from Xbox Live for it. See what ways there are around it (turning chips off etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

The worst part of these threads is people adding in extra choices. The man asked PS2 or XBOX. simple ****in question.
    Every time, "neither get a GC", "Neither get a PC". I hate the PC suggestions the most, if pc was an option there would be no question..

Oh and I own an xbox and am very happy with it. 4 player is great fun as is xbox live.
    And in terms of modding, i personally haven't modded mine (i play live) but have seen one in action and its brilliant. i considered buying a second xbox purely because of its ease to mod and what you can actually do with it.

PC tbh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

omathuna wrote:
    Wow, guys thanks for the advice.
    I feel I stepped on a landmine.

I like modding and have broadband so with the research I have done it will be an Xbox.

Thanks again

If you are ordering a modchip could you order 2 and ill give you the cash for the chip and instal yours if you like ill aslo give you a copy of slayers 2.6 evox installer
    oh also where are you based?
    Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You won't get a PS2 before Christmas. Still, with both the XBox and GameCube being cheaper, it's not all bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

go for xbox, xbox live is great, the xbox can be modded really good if you want it to be, a fantasic gaming library with far superior graphics then the ps2, many of the multiformat games come out looking better on the xbox, burnout3 and the prince of persia games being too examples. The only reason I would go for a playstation 2 is for the ability to play rpgs and the old final fantasy games onit including the fantasic Final Fantasy X game and ICO.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Xbox live is the superior online gaming console.

Xbox is the superior console technically.

Xbox is expected to sell out by the end of next week, one week before christmas, get them now!

Did you know that if you have broadband and subscribe to Xbox live and convince family or friends in other countries around the world you can effectively have free conversations with them by meeting for a game (you don't have to play the game)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Do you work for Microsoft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

PoolDude wrote:
    Did you know that if you have broadband and subscribe to Xbox live and convince family or friends in other countries around the world you can effectively have free conversations with them by meeting for a game (you don't have to play the game)!!!

Wow! You mean that you just have to buy a console and a headset and pay a subscription fee to Microsoft on top of your broadband subscription fee and get all your friends to do the same and suddenly you can use the internet to communicate with people? What wondrous technology!

Anyway the guys already settled on an xbox so don't worry you'll get your commission.

PoolDude wrote:
    snipped a load of BS

LOL, yes, because if you have broadband but no Xbox you can't use your PC to communicate at all. That'd be silly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Xbox is more powerful M,has harddisk, graphics are clearer more subtle detail and effects, surroundsound in every game the quality of games is higher cos its a morepowerful console i have ps2 3 years ,i got xbox thisweek cos theres games like halo2 doa3 gothamracing fable that quality of game is simply not avaibable on ps2 and look at a game like killzone graphics are not upto quality of an xbox game like halo.but theres more games on ps2 if u wanna simplly go for nos over quality.there more kids games out there for ps2 ,i think xbox is leaning more to the hardcore player who wants hiquality graphics and sound.and mosat shops now sell 2 xbox games for 50euro so theres enough games outthere to keep any1 entertained.theres loads of mediocre ps2 games being produced as well as good ones like metal gear substance.i,d prefer to have 3 good xbox games than 10 average ps2 games.thats not to say ur making a mistake getting a ps2 its a matter of taste.xbox is better re online play but xboxlive is not free,u have to pay monthly subscription.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

quality of games is higher cos its a morepowerful console

Yeah, just like the 3DO had better games than the snes for the same reason!
    i got xbox thisweek cos theres games

You've only had it a week and you think its better than a PS2. I'm definitely getting one!
    there more kids games out there for ps2 ,i think xbox is leaning more to the hardcore player who wants hiquality graphics and sound

Kids games like zelda suck! Manhunt and games like it are far better because of the realism. All my hardcore gaming friends buy EA games because they look better. Had to laugh at viewtiful joe, Gradius V and Shadow Hearts. They look terrible and yet are so mainstream and for casual gamers only.

And I agree, punctuation is the devils work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It just depends what kind of games you like. PS2, Xbox and GC all excel in different areas. If modding is your scene, and you'd like to have a hard drive full of emulators and such, and also if you like a lot of PC-type stuff, then go for an Xbox. If you want to play Nintendo games and a few more unusual exclusives, then go for a GC. If you want the largest range of new releases (but arguably fewer absolute stars) then go for a PS2.
    I have a GC, and I'm very happy with it. I have neither the time or money to play all the games I want to play, and when I do play I like my games to be pure quality. I've spent most of the last year playing LoZ: Wind Waker, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, TimeSplitters 2, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, F-Zero GX and Super Smash Bros Melee. Some great games.
    But an answer to your question? Decide which set of exclusives you can't live without. Then go with that. And remember, if you decide you want the other one, they should be less than E100 secondhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Personally id recommend the xbox ive had it for nearly 3 years now, was torn between the cube and the xbox but got the xbox dont regret the decision I made, but in the end as many ppl have said it depends on the types of games your into and which system exclusives you prefer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

hold off buying anything and get a ps3 or xbox 2 when they come out. It might be a wait though.

Advertisement