Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloody Banks

• 08-12-2004 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Setup a standing order recently to transfer money from one account to someone else..

So they setup and standing order.. cash left my account last month. Checked other account yesterday. other bank didnt get it... rang my 24 hr banking ... they dont have it... they say ring my branch... i rang them and they cant see it.. they are now doing a trace which can take a few days!!!

that is rediculous.. i cant wait another few days to get this money transferred. anyone had this kind of trouble before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

rang them again... same aul one on the phone who doesnt give a sh*t.. saying it will be a few more days!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

ring your bank with which the money was supposed to be taken out of,if the money is gone from that account,they authorised it so they knoew where its gone,tell them to shut the f*ck up and find your money today.This has happened to me before and all you gotta do is get the manager etc.. and get really angry with them,trust me it works

so once it has left they can find out exactly where it has gone and there is no chance of it being 'lost'?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's no actual money involved, it's just electronic bips going from one machine to another. It's not like someone is carrying it in a wallet from one bank to another.

:) i know that.. i just want to be sure they will put my bips back into my account when/if they find it... if not - they lost it coz i gave the correct details in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Doesnt money transfers take several tays to be carried out.

its probably sitting in one of the banks own accounts gathering interest while the process is taking place, try again four working days after the transaction.

yea but this left my account almost 3 weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

3 weeks ago??? OMG!
    but yeah this whole thing is bloody rediculous. money is just computer bits these days
    see the same thing transferring money from my ac to my visa ac - takes 3 days to go from one screen of my web browser to another..... :oP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

kenmc wrote:
    ...transferring money from my ac to my visa ac - takes 3 days to go from one screen of my web browser to another..... :oP

/srokes phat pipe

Man, you gotta get rid of that 56k'er! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

so once it has left they can find out exactly where it has gone and there is no chance of it being 'lost'?

bank of ireland by any chance???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i've had so much trouble with them recently.
    1st set up standing order put in 10euro's for the transfer they take out a charge for some reason which doesn't leave enough money so they dont send it to my credit union of all f ing places and charge me 12.70 for it not going through so now i'm in a - figure so again i put in the 10 euro's thinking that last week everything was doing fine.so they cant process it again and charge me again. then cancel it with out notifing me of any of it.
    2nd i get call from credit union they are very angery since i'm not paying off my lone this is nearly 2 months later!!!! so i've got interest build up on my credit, luckily i was always putting in the 10 each week. so pay off a lump sum and contact my bank. so they give me this long speal and they will sort it out.
    so i set up another one.
    3rd now with the new s.o. i've been ring C.U. each week to be safe and all that. get my statment and notice that for 3 weeks 12.70 has been taken from my account... after 16 phone calls and one whole week and another 12.70 taken it gets sorted a computer glitch!!!, this time i ,made sure the was 50 more each week so there would be enough funds.
    4th i buy something using mammys credit card and go to pay it off no problems but i decided to be a smart b!tch and pay my rent off at the same time, into a different account. so i give the two differnt accounts all over the phone you know!! and the money leaves my account and i get told transfer was sucessful. my mum checks her statment for my rent and have a guess what nothings there!!! so i ring up and get them to chace the money this takes 3 weeks and only reason why we found it was because my mam got another statment this time for her credit card which we checked 3-5 times, now she was already reaching her limit and we couldn't retrive it and put it on the other one without being charge a masive 8 euros a month till the whole card is payed off!!!!!
    the computer noticed the two names where the same and decided to put all the money in the account that was worse off!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Mum put €300 in my account. The smart people at my bank WITHDREW €300! My account doesn't even have an overdraught. So after some bitching(by my mother) they returned the money. I also got €100. I think they were afraid og Gerry Ryan or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Mum put €300 in my account. The smart people at my bank WITHDREW €300! My account doesn't even have an overdraught. So after some bitching(by my mother) they returned the money. I also got €100. I think they were afraid og Gerry Ryan or something like that.

I dont get it.. why did or would the bank withdraw money from your account?

Anyway i use ulsterbanks E-banking and its class.. i can transfer my rent to landlord every month easy. Whats more i could do it online and no calling the bank to nominate an account like others require.

ok - think i will give it to lunch time tomorrow to see if there is an update and then complaining. Dont feel like staying with AIB anyway after what they have been doing and all the over charging in the media recently....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Saruman wrote:
    I dont get it.. why did or would the bank withdraw money from your account?

Anyway i use ulsterbanks E-banking and its class.. i can transfer my rent to landlord every month easy. Whats more i could do it online and no calling the bank to nominate an account like others require.

Because they for some reason made a stupid stupid mistake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Setup a standing order recently to transfer money from one account to someone else..

So they setup and standing order.. cash left my account last month. Checked other account yesterday. other bank didnt get it... rang my 24 hr banking ... they dont have it... they say ring my branch... i rang them and they cant see it.. they are now doing a trace which can take a few days!!!

that is rediculous.. i cant wait another few days to get this money transferred. anyone had this kind of trouble before?

if the beneficiary details you supplied are correct - i.e. sort code and account number, then there is no reason why the funds shouldn't be in his account unless his account is

a) inoperative / dormant
    b) a SSIA that already has the max €254 contribution hitting it each month
    c) a deposit account that will only accept a lodgment on a particular rollover date (Weekly/Monthly etc)
    d) closed

if the beneficiary's bank cannot apply it then it is returned via the clearing system within a few days

I wonder -

if you discover that the mistake lies with yourself or the beneficiary supplying the incorrect account information would you let this thread know?

or would you say nothing ? - after all "bloody banks" are an easy target for negative generalisations. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

what is strange about this one though is that i had a manual payment setup by 24 banking online transfer. there was also trouble with that one at the beginning because the destination account is a First active which needs acc no, sort code, and a ref no. When this was all setup properly and the first payment went through i simply said set up the standing order with these details as we know they Work!!!!!

what is strange about this one though is that i had a manual payment setup by 24 banking online transfer. there was also trouble with that one at the beginning because the destination account is a First active which needs acc no, sort code, and a ref no. When this was all setup properly and the first payment went through i simply said set up the standing order with these details as we know they Work!!!!!

First Active is the beneficiary :rolleyes:
    building societies always cause problems

why? because they are NOT banks and are NOT part of the clearing system
    the building society itself has an account with a Bank (First Active possibly with Ulster Bank or AIB) and the ref no is crucial as that identifies which customer in First Active is due the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

my mum owed me €100 so she had it transfered to my account about 3 months ago.
    but when i went in to close my account and take out my €2500 i only had €1600,then managed to take €1000 from my account and put it in hers?she knew nothing about it but if its that easy for the bank to feck up cud they have put my €1000 in someone else's account just as easy?
    i got it sorted but its very worrying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

12:15 today i tried to make an online transaction with my aib visa, failed,(80 US) 14:30 went into an aid bank to get an international money order as i could not pay online, used my cc teller tells me i have not enough money in my acc, I had 1st lodged 380 yoyos, i have an overdraft of 2,900, bill last week said i owed 500 , so i should have at lest 2500 credit, contacted visa people, offered me apology i would not accept, they claimed i was not refused @ any time today, what u think guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you translate it into english, we might be able to offer an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

old boy wrote:
    12:15 today i tried to make an online transaction with my aib visa, failed,(80 US) 14:30 went into an aid bank to get an international money order as i could not pay online, used my cc teller tells me i have not enough money in my acc, I had 1st lodged 380 yoyos, i have an overdraft of 2,900, bill last week said i owed 500 , so i should have at lest 2500 credit, contacted visa people, offered me apology i would not accept, they claimed i was not refused @ any time today, what u think guys
    [Sarcasm]One of the crazy things about webforums, is that people like reading the replies! I know, its a bit mad, but it does happen. To make this easy for us poor eejits, we like to have whole sentances written, using properly spelled words and punctuation! Paragraphs also go down nicely.[/Sarcasm]

Anyway, as for banks, i've had a few good experiences with AIB, and a few bad ones. I was happily running low on funds one time, and AIB decided to withdraw the EUR20 that goes to the government tax on credit cards. Of course, i didn't have that much in my account, and so my card was cancelled. I got no notification of this.

A week or so afterwards, i started work and lodged in my first cheque. I thought everything was fine and dandy until i actually tried withdrawing my cash! Which of course i couldn't! So the ATM sucked in my card, and didn't give it back. I was in a right fix, as that was supposed to have been taxi fare home :p

Anyway, after numerous phonecalls to AIB i finally found out why my card had been cancelled, and they said they'd reissue a new one. So, a few days later it arrives. I thought that was great, i could now get my money. So, the next weekend i was in town, and was heading home again from some place or other, and wanted to get taxi fare out of the ATM. So i popped in my shiny new card, took out the PIN number letter, and tried to use the card. It was also sucked in and i was told to contact AIB.

Turns out that card was cancelled for some bizarre reason, and they said they'd issue another new card. This card took over 2 weeks to arrive! I wasn't able to access my money for nearly a month, which was quite annoying!

As for the good experience, i once accidently topped up the wrong number via AIB text topup, and i rang O2 immediately after i noticed, and told them i had used AIB text topup to top up the wrong phone. O2 then told me to ring AIB. So i went back and forth between O2 and AIB giving them details and taking other details, and after a week or two AIB refunded the money, which was rather nice of em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Change your bank . I have 7 times. Be grateful they are not UK Banks :mad: Complete nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I've had enough of AIB's crap and I am moving as soon as I get christmas out of the way. I lodge a checque for €1,000, it appears on my account as being there, but in the branch they tell me that they can't give me a draft for €600 because the cheque has to clear. I went outside to the ATM and withdrew the €600. wtf are these people smoking

yea thats where the initial problem laybut this was sorted out and all they had to do was take these correct details and apply it to the direct debit...

anyway ill let you know how it turns out

Advertisement