Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Life 2- should I bother with present rig

Options
  • 08-12-2004 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I was all excited when DooM3 came out but on then it ended up looking like a fly downing in treacle...

I have a P1.7 200Fsb, 768MB 200Mhz DDR RAM, Gainward GeForce FX 5600 333ns 256MB DirectX 9 compl - so not a great system but it is a nearly 2 1/2 years old.

Is there any point in getting HL2 or should I wait till I get my new rig in the new year... which is going to be such a beast monstours I'll have to host it in the freezer.... ;) ...

Talk to you guys,

The Duke

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Yeah, get the game, give it a go. It should run on that machine. Then play it again on your new machine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Your PC is a shat load better than mien and I played it no bother, go for it. (1.6 ghz athlon, 512 SD RAM, 9600 XT 128mb)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I've got a P3 800 Cu, 512Meg PC100, GF4 Ti4800 and I expect to be able to run it.
    I don't expect it to look pretty, but I expec to be able to play it.

My only concern is the lack of CPU horsepower for the physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

tnx guys - suppose I'll give it a shot....

with D3 the graphics made it cause the game play was sheit... but know the HL team it'll probably survive on gameplay alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

SyxPak wrote:
    I've got a P3 800 Cu, 512Meg PC100, GF4 Ti4800 and I expect to be able to run it.
    I don't expect it to look pretty, but I expec to be able to play it.

My only concern is the lack of CPU horsepower for the physics.
    Aye, dont expect to be able to play HL2 DM online or even lan.
    It rapes the processor something horrible :|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

there is small article in pc gamer this month about this basically it syas that
    if u fiddle withe settings even d7 compliant cards should be able to run the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Putting in "mat_dxlevel 50" makes the game think your running a directX 5 card. FPS ++ :). Looks worse than quake1 but its still pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Felstorm

Does HL2 require a graphics card with pixelshader?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭walter

Felstorm wrote:
    Does HL2 require a graphics card with pixelshader?
    HL2 uses Pixelshader 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

walter wrote:
    HL2 uses Pixelshader 3
    it doesn't require it though

• Advertisement

So i can use a gforce 4 mx440 until i get a better card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

dont expect it to play very well, that card is a dud, trust me i know, i upgraded to a 9800pro after trying doom3 on it so i doubt hl2 is going to perform any better

edit: i mean the 5600 not the gforce4 (which is probably better)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

dont expect it to play very well, that card is a dud, trust me i know, i upgraded to a 9800pro after trying doom3 on it so i doubt hl2 is going to perform any better

edit: i mean the 5600 not the gforce4 (which is probably better)
    the 5600 is miles better than the geforce4mx (bottom of the range crippled card)
    get a radeon 9600 (anything other than the "se") and you should be sweet
    or get a geforce 6600gt if you've got the cash to spare (radeon 9800pro has had its day tbh)

So itll run until i get a better card?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Yeah I'm running it on medium detail on one of those cards, it runs fine no judder or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭calis

dont buy it m8 .. it aint gona run properly and it will annoy **** outta u.

and any game that has an install like that shud be feckin burned and banned from sale.

rise up brothers ... blow steam!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

keep on preaching.

The steam activation works fine for most people.

Im only after buying an upgrade for everything else so im saving to get a better card

Advertisement