Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you pronounce R?

• 08-12-2004 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭

Is it pronounced "or" or "are". I've always pronounced it "or" but everyone here has trouble when I spell things out with an r. Is it an Irish thing or just me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

are???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

"or" as in "dorsh" roish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I always used to get slagged for saying "or". Too American my arse! I stuck to my guns though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I say "or" (grew up in Cork), never heard anyone say "are".

Must be a lot of people where you live who think they're pirates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I'd say Or...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

OR but ppl seem to have difficulty when u pronounce it that way.

My pet hate working in a call centre is the is the way Irish ppl pronounce "a" and ah and not ay (as in hay without the h)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

I used to pronounce it 'or' but the british customers didn't understand so then it became 'arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

"are"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I pronounce it with lots of clicking sounds.

Or, when I want to pretend to be a pirate, like "Arrrrr!"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Blisterman wrote:
    Is it pronounced "or" or "are". I've always pronounced it "or" but everyone here has trouble when I spell things out with an r. Is it an Irish thing or just me.

In London they mistake "or" and "are", bit like they way they get words starting with "s" and "f" mixed up. I'd say you should do it with round lips and not sounding like a pirate (except on that special day)

international phonetic langague - each of these characters have a standard sound
    http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/ipa-unicode.htm
    sure someone will be along in a minute to tell us which one is used for the letter "R"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 CJ_Will

I tend to say "are"... But I also have always liked pirates. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    I always used to get slagged for saying "or". Too American my arse! I stuck to my guns though.
    Well the american person I asked prononced it somewhere between or and are, which I can't pronounce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

the only time I have heard anyone say "are" is on the are tee ee voice over.

"good evening, you are watching are tee ee one."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

I say "or"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

"or" is an Irish thing. I switched to "are" after living in London a while - now back in Dublin and use both "or" and "are".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

"or" here.

dewsbury wrote:
    "or" is an Irish thing. I switched to "are" after living in London a while - now back in Dublin and use both "or" and "are".

I can see how Englanders would pronounce "r" like "are" because they don't pronounce the "r" in the word "are" but Irish people saying "r" the way Irish people say "are" (rhymes with yarr) sounds crazy. Anybody who pronounces it like that care to record yourself and post it here?

Is that "or" as in "ore"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

are but not overstated (piratey) 'or' is boggerish like a (ah/ay) as CL said

My pet hate working in a call centre is the is the way Irish ppl pronounce "a" and ah and not ay (as in hay without the h)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

"or". Can't say I've heard anyone pronounce it "are".

• Advertisement

As in rymes with bore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Wouldn't the English say "aw"?

It all comes down to accent I guess. I'm from the north and say "are". I find the idea of me pronoucing it "or" just plain stupid.

Sinecure wrote:
    Is that "or" as in "ore"?

No "or" as in tea or coffee.

"are" for "r" sounds boggerific to me.

If they're from London, yeah.
    Ro: maaan! wrote:
    Wouldn't the English say "aw"?

Exactly, imagine a cockney perfectly pronoucing "or"...

simu wrote:
    No "or" as in tea or coffee.

"are" for "r" sounds boggerific to me.

Sinecure wrote:
    Exactly, imagine a cockney perfectly pronoucing "or"...

Well, I was talking about Irish people there. I know little about cockney speech tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

'R'.. not so much, my problem has always been with the letter 'H'

'Aytch' or 'Haytch'?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sev wrote:
    'R'.. not so much, my problem has always been with the letter 'H'
    'Aytch' or 'Haytch'?
    English people have awful problems with F H R S
    It's reckoned that hiberno-english is closer to what Shakespere spoke and wrote then what is spoken across the pond.
    BTW: Scots pronounce G as guy - but it's totally unambigious so that's not a problem

Again a handy Guide to English sounds.

A as in BREAD
    B as in DEBT
    C as in INDICTMENT
    D as in HANDKERCHIEF
    E as in GIVE
    F as in HALFPENNY
    G as in GNAW
    H as in HOUR
    I as in FRIEND
    J as in MARIJUANA
    K as in KNOW
    L as in Walk
    M as the first M in MNEMONIC
    N as in AUTUMN
    O as in PEOPLE
    P as in PSALM
    Q as in Acquiai
    R as in the first R in February
    S as in ISLAND
    T as in CASTLE
    U as in GUARD
    V as in MILNGAVIE (a Scottish place name) *can anyone find a better one*
    W as in Wrap
    X as in SIOUX
    Y as in PEPYS
    Z as in RENDEZVOUS

http://members.aol.com/Fanetiks And of course many Britons don't pronounce R at the end of a word or before a consonant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I used to pronounce it like 'ore' but now I use 'are'. However I don't sound like a pirate when I say it! I think it's more neutral/American 'ar' than pirate 'aare' :p

^^ Good list Capt'n Midnight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do (I have this completely wrong? I pronounce it "awr", the way a south Dublin yummy mummy would describe her Volvo as a "cawr".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

"or" sounds to me like a d4 collars up rugby jock with whatever haircut beckham has this week, although on the opposite end of the scale anyone from cork would pronounce it "or" and cork people are sound so im undecided on that one.
    i pronounce it "are" myself , i dont think youd get a real pirate "arrrrr" this side of yorkshire (well maybe ronnie drew might do ye one).
    one thing i like though is that irish people pronounce the r, be it "or" or "are". funnily enough most english accents seem to have phased out the letter r exept for at the start of a word. listen the next time you hear an english tv announcer say "return" they get the first r but the second one always eludes them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

I pronounce it "are", then again I've spent 75% of my life in Canada. "Or" is defiantely an Irish thing, and sounds so wrong and pretentous to me. I believe "are" is the correct form, and is starting to be used more professionally in Ireland apart from the D4 heads who will allways take the DORT from Ballsbridge.

I know its pronounced "are" in the following countries, with differenct twangs according to accents.

USA
    Canada
    Austrailia
    England
    Scotland
    Wales
    NI
    New Zealand
    South Africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Sinecure wrote:
    It all comes down to accent I guess. I'm from the north and say "are". I find the idea of me pronoucing it "or" just plain stupid.

If only we could figure out why you nordies think "w" is pronounced "iiiiieeeeeeeee" as in everytime one of the announcers on BBC NI or UTV tries to say now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

imo , i think it sounds like " or " .

Anyway, no need to get worried about a letter.. alot of people pronounce stuff different, no biggie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

its "are" in Scotland, but what about the way irish folk pronounce (or dont) "th" as in dis dat dese and dose or 1, 2 , tree and what about J as in "ja" not as in "jay"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Easy way around this if you are on the telephone:
    A for Alpha
    B for Bravo
    etc

R for Romeo

My British girlfriend always slags me when I say "or".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Is anyone else getting flashes of the ambrosia ad from this thread and its posts?

or is it just me? :D 'oooooh arrrrrrrrrr'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

go with with Pirates on this one, 'ARRRRRRRR'
    hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

im from meath but live in dundalk..have a mixed bogger/dundalk accent..when i ring places in dublin from work(work has abbreviated name for handiness with an r at the end) most of the people cant grasp the r at the end...really have to pronounce it as 'or' for them or have to tell them the whole name...that annoys me!!!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

BTW: Scots pronounce G as guy - but it's totally unambigious so that's not a problem

I'm Scottish, and thats first i've heard of that. G is pronounced as "gee", but J is pronounced as "jigh" (like high with a j)

R is "are" and H is "aitch" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Arrrr Jim lad.

So moving, on who pronounces H like Haytch or Aytch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

-insert pointless comma here-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i speak to British folks on the phone all the time and they have no problem when i pronnounce it as "or"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

R - 'R' is often heavily emphasised both at the start and ending of words with the sound of 'er', this gives them a warm tone, such as "NeveR", "BabbeR" and "Right".

This is how "R" is where I come from

Ziderrrrrrr I up Landlord!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I say "or", when in Australia, they never knew what I saying, as they pronounce it as "aaaahh".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭shellspeare

I'm from south yorkshire and we pronounce R as Rer

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In London they mistake "or" and "are", bit like they way they get words starting with "s" and "f" mixed up. I'd say you should do it with round lips and not sounding like a pirate (except on that special day)

international phonetic langague - each of these characters have a standard sound
    http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/ipa-unicode.htm
    sure someone will be along in a minute to tell us which one is used for the letter "R"

It's not on the main list, but it's the upside-down lowercase r that you see beside decimal code 797. The right-way-round lower r is the spanish rolled r and the upside-down capital R is a French R. Right-way-round capital R isn't much used for European languages, but occurs occasionally between vowels.

I say OR and HAITCH btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Funny, this whole "or" and "are" debate. I heard Ryan Tubridy the other morning spell something and he said "are". Never really noticed it much before then. I'm an "or".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement