Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you pronounce R?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

OR! All the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

What kind of person uses "are" I can't say I've heard someone say it like that.

OR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

It's definately should be pronounced "or". I'd definately correct a friend if he/she pronounced it "are" (in a non-slagatory to culites way).

And "a" should be pronounced "ay" not "ahh" although I think in Irish it's meant to be pronounced "ahh". I always hear my Irish teacher pronouncing it "ahh".

"H" is "haytch", or else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

It's definately should be pronounced "or". I'd definately correct a friend if he/she pronounced it "are" (in a non-slagatory to culites way).

And "a" should be pronounced "ay" not "ahh" although I think in Irish it's meant to be pronounced "ahh". I always hear my Irish teacher pronouncing it "ahh".

"H" is "haytch", or else.

That's it exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

simu wrote:
    I say "or" (grew up in Cork), never heard anyone say "are".

Must be a lot of people where you live who think they're pirates.

lol I say "or" too.. "are " sounds bit weak!!! :D A good strong "OR" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

Giblet wrote:
    What kind of person uses "are" I can't say I've heard someone say it like that.

OR.

Me! I've only ever heard people announce it as "or" here. We say "are" in Scotland - doesn't mean you're right and we're wrong or vice versa....!

And Hugh Hefner, why would you correct someone because they pronounce something differently from you?

Anyhoo - doesn't really matter does it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

'ar' for me - a softened version of 'are' and far from 'arrrrrrrrrrrrr' though not as soft as 'or'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think most people in Ireland prononce it or.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/rhotic
    the great R schism in English speakers - rhotic and the non-rhotic

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Hiberno-English - found this as well - worth reading aloud..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

So, Irish people are er... rhotic - who would have thought?

That Hiberno english thing seems a bit old fashioned and out of date. I don't know anyone who says am'nt for am not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

meepmeep wrote:
    And Hugh Hefner, why would you correct someone because they pronounce something differently from you?
    Because I'm sure my way is the phonetically correct way and I believe good spelling/grammar/pronounciation/punctuation/etc. are important, especially in a world where txt messaging is very popular and the Australian Question Inflexion are spreading far from Australia (damn you Home And Away, damn yooooooouuu!).

For people with upper class English accents I think they shoud pronounce it "ar" (not "are") just like Boro said.

Whats the Australian Question Inflexion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Blisterman wrote:
    That Hiberno english thing seems a bit old fashioned and out of date. I don't know anyone who says am'nt for am not.

I'm one of those people. Amn't I?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Blisterman wrote:
    Whats the Australian Question Inflexion?
    Its younger aussies (esp female) where they say "Oh yeeah" and rise the tone at the end of the sentence making it sound like a question...
    simu wrote:
    So, Irish people are er... rhotic - who would have thought?
    I seen it on the internet, it must be true ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I don't know anyone who says am'nt for am not.

I know lots of people who use that abbreviation, it's still popular :)
    For people with upper classs English accents I think they shoud pronounce it "ar" (not "are") just like Boro said.

I don't have an upper class English accent, but that's how I pronounce it *shrug* I guess I just am'nt normal ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I say amn't, pronounce "r" as "are", and say FANatic, and I call "h" "aitch". Hate me for it if you like. That'll make me sad, but I amn't too worried about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I say amn't, pronounce "r" as "are", and say FANatic, and I call "h" "aitch". Hate me for it if you like. That'll make me sad, but I amn't too worried about it.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I say "amn't" but I hate it. I always pull myself up on it.

I say "OR"

I say "HAYTCH"

And I hate "ahh". Always say [fonzie]"AYYYYY"[/fonzie]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I also find myself moving my pronunciation around. If I'm with tewwibly uppew clawss teeps my accent goes gratingly Ronnie Dhrew for a while, and theirs goes paralytically whooffy. If we get to like each other our accents slide together and meet in the middle somewhere. Likewise if I'm with real Doobs.

On the other hand, if I'm with ah-sayers, I'll usually say "ah" for "A", if I'm with elderly country people I'll say bassic for basic and primmer for primer; with most Dubs I'll say haitch for H and ezoo for Zoo; if I'm with Merkins I'll say Urbs for herbs; if I'm with the young I'll sometimes even say fanATTic instead of FANatic. But I'll always say "I amn't".

• Advertisement

Ezoo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Blisterman wrote:

Oops - as do a half a dozen kids I know. "Old fashioned amn't I ?"

As far as the "r" goes, according to English RP (most of which we use), the sound is ahh ( Like when doctor says "Now say 'aw'"). Our tendency to say "are/or" is influenced suprisingly by the Gaeilge, as is our use of "amn't" , "just after doing that" etc.
    For me "or" means you are from Cork or you live on the Dort. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement