Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple operating systems

• 08-12-2004 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hey

My Pc is running both Windows XP and 2000. Not at the same time of coarse but I am given the option of which one to load when I start up the computer.

I'd like to get rid of the Windows 2000 system altogether and was wondering how I would go about doing it?

What would I do? Would I loose all my files etc?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

M$ would like you to buy a license for each OS on your computer even if you don't run both at the same time !

When you are in XP - rename the windows 2000 folder ( eg: winnt.del ) and see how you get on - if in a months time all is well you can delete it.
    If you aren't sure which folder is which then in each OS go into the command prompt (start - run - cmd) and type the word SET - Windir= the folder name of that version of windows.

Check the size of the folder if it's not taking too much space then ya might as well leave it there in case XP breaks as a back door into repair your system.

Unfortunatley stuff installed in program files may have links to both OS's so you should not delete them - if you want to delete an app only installed in 2000 and not in XP use add/remove programs in 2000 to remove them before you rename the folder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

would it be safe to have winds, linux on the same machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yes, it is. The two shouldn't interfere with each other at all... Just make sure to install them on seperate partitions, and install a bootloader to be able to jump from one to the other...

I would recommend downloading a LiveCD distro first though, just to make sure its your cup of tea, so to speak..

Advertisement