Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool - Olympiakos (with score)

• 08-12-2004 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Here's tonights starting 11 plus subs

Kirkland, Finnan, Traore, Hyypia, Carragher, Nunez, Alonso, Gerrard, Riise, Kewell, Baros.

Subs - Dudek, Henchoz, Diao, Josemi, Pongolle, Warnock, Mellor.

Traore is at LB, Riise is LW, so Krewell is upfront with Baros.

I'll go for a 1 - 0 win and hope....

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Fingers crossed!! :)
    Just looking at UEFA's site. Some great info in the press kits page (for journos etc.) Btw Stevie to miss next match if booked tonight.
    http://www.uefa.com/uefa/MediaServices/presskit/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Can see Liverpool winning comfortably, maybe 2 or 3 nil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Bateman wrote:
    Can see Liverpool winning comfortably, maybe 2 or 3 nil.
    I Don't even think there'll be more than 2 goals in the match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Its going to be closer than that.

Olympiakos are top of the group for a reason.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

jank wrote:
    Its going to be closer than that.

Olympiakos are top of the group for a reason.

and that reason is because we didnt turn up in athens.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Feckin' Kirkland again 1-0

Monaco are also winning 1-0.

Although I like the guy, he did the same thing as he did at the weekend - let in a relatively simple free-kick shot.
    That means we have to score 3 goals now, without conceding any.

Seems from the text commentary that Liverpool are just shooting from anywhere. Come on Pool, 2-1 will do for us gamblers. :mad:

Monaco are 2-0 up btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sinecure wrote:

The wall was a joke - Nunez went for a walk! I dont see any chance now -except winning the UEFA Cup! :(

Mike.

• Advertisement

So Liverpool have to score 3 goals in 45 minutes to qualify. They have a habit of making come backs under Benitez, I hope they can do it tonight. I have them in a 4 team accumulator with Monaco, Madrid (ht/ft) and Lyon.

Sinecure wrote:

unbelievable i hope somebody sows your hands together that was never kirklands fault there was a wall there he shouldnt of had to worry about that area of the goal.

hehe, he brings Pongolle on and puts Kewell on the left and they both combine to make it 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

****ING HELL!!! What a GOAL!!

Gerard makes it 3-1 with a screamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Dear Christ that was some strike...

We can hold on, we can hold on, we can hold on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

take that ya bastads :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Boro wrote:
    ****ING HELL!!! What a GOAL!!

Gerard makes it 3-1 with a screamer

Suberb strike!!!!!!!!

I think Andy Gray wet his pants on SS when that went in :)

Dammit, I'm just listening to it on the radio. The news had BETTER show the highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The man is a god

• Advertisement

Liverpool never won a match after going in at half time losing under Houllier for 6 years. They've done it under Benitez at least 3 times.

Jaysus, the 4 teams I put a bet on have scored 16 goals between them and this is supposed to be the Champions league.

4 mins of extra time? Hang on there pool fans :D

Fair play to Mellor - brought on to change it and he got a goal and an assist in about 6 or 7 minutes. Liverpool through - well done to the pool.

A job well done!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

cracking last 20 mins or so. what a screamer by gerard. v good win

What did I say? :D:D ;D

I'm looking forward to Dunphy and Giles in a moment!!

Mike.

Boro wrote:
    Fair play to Mellor - brought on to change it and he got a goal and an assist in about 6 or 7 minutes. Liverpool through - well done to the pool.
    Sinama deserves a lot more praise IMO.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Sinama deserves a lot more praise IMO.
    He was a real livewire alright. Deserves a lot of praise for the way he played. But i was just commenting on the fact that Mellor was brought on as a striker, presumably to score goals, and he did a great job when he came on. He might not have done much else but he had a couple of penalty shouts too. Just saying he did pretty well from when he was brought on.

Does this mean Gerard isnt going? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

That scumbag should not have been on the pitch to score the 3rd goal. There were 2 incidents deserving of straight red cards. the first he didn't even get booked for was nasty- Hopefully UEFA will review and ish out the 3 match ban it deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

overall, delighted with the win.

solid play by mellor. long as he keeps it up! great goal by gerrard. willed in by the fans :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

kida wrote:
    That scumbag should not have been on the pitch to score the 3rd goal. There were 2 incidents deserving of straight red cards. the first he didn't even get booked for was nasty- Hopefully UEFA will review and ish out the 3 match ban it deserves.

did someone have a little bet against the REDS :D

Bloody fantastic, the reds deserve the wins for the pure graft they put in,
    well done
    YNWA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

what a game !

great strike !

kirkland was in no way at fault for the goal , that free kick is the kind ye see time after the time rebounding off the wall and everyones says what a waste but for some reason the liverpool wall fell apart

And yes sinama deserves his praise he played well i thought and injected a good bit of life into the liverpool play

Just saw one of the disallowed goals there - some volley by Gerard (again!) to get the 'first' goal. They had a second disallowed and hit the post too - overall they seem to have deserved it.

But what about Monaco eh? Another thumping win over Depor (5-0)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Great win for them. Mellor did really well.

But they need to win something in Europe or Domestically to try persuade Gerrard not to go. I can see him going and rightly so.

Gerrard was damned lucky not to be shown red, every time I think he's got over that sort of thing he does it again. Pongolle did really well as did Mellor I hope he keeps giving Rafa reasons to select him. I think we also know where Krewell should play from now on.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

What a strike!!!!!!! What a finish!!!!!! What a performance!!!!!! What a result!!!!!!!

Second time he did it on the night, the first should have been allowed too. A very harsh free out against Baros was hard to believe when Pantos was left stay on the pitch with 3 fouls after his yellow.

Stevie will be the lauded hero and rightly so, with a Captain's contribution in the end, but our young lads, Sinama and Mellor, stood up to be counted too.

We can all wake up like Stevie tomorrow morning knowing we're not in the UEFA Cup yet again.

Jaysus, me heart!!!!!!

Damo

Nothing wrong with the uefa cup!

Although when we win the premiership this year after humbling all those above us, thus qualifying for the champions league, I imagine i'll feel the same next year :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

you know when you've drank way too much booze and you're sitting there shivering waiting for the vomit to come, well thats how i felt waiting for the ref to blow the whistle. what a f***kin game.

bring on juventus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Boro wrote:
    But what about Monaco eh? Another thumping win over Depor (5-0)!

Wasn't there a thread here about the only decent football being played, was that in Spain? Valencia and Deportivo crash out, Real Madrid scrape through to the next round, Barcelona look to be the only team in Spain who can play 'proper football'. 4/4 English teams progress to the next stage, no other country has matched that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

jasus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Excellent night again for us!
    Top top attitude in the second half with some great play from pongol,gerrard(lucky not to be sent off),kewell and mellor!
    Cant fault the effort that was there tonight even if "olimp"threw it away with there own dire attitude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Good Jaysus that was nerve wrecking towards the end - me missus had to leave the room, she couldn't watch it after Stevie G belted the third one in and I wasn't much better :D Absolutely delighted we're through & Olympiakos went out, cheating fúckers :) Nunez/the wall was certainly at fault for their goal & I thought Pongolle had a great game and fair play to mellor too. Stevie G showed 100% commitment as usual but went a bit overboard and now misses the next game. Thoroughly deserved win though, what a game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Hopefully now with liverpool winning it will keap gerrard for the season at least and hopefully by the summer he will have realise that liverpool are well on their way to become a force again under benitez.Liverpool are doing nicely at the minute, how did nunez play then.Benitez must like as he has played him in the last 2 and a half matches.Fair play to mellor, took his chance play.As a fellow liverpool fan i couldnt believe it that we won as it looked so bad after 27 mins when they scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Although we have done nothing exceptional at all this season there is a news sense of belief creeping back into the side,well done benitez i say!

i know its just 2 wins but how many teams beat arsenal at all let alone dominate the match and then win in such spectacular fashion as we did against olympiakos i know there was a disapointing draw in the middle but we were all over them too. is there a real change happening?? looks like it to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

BrookieD wrote:
    did someone have a little bet against the REDS :D

Bloody fantastic, the reds deserve the wins for the pure graft they put in,
    well done
    YNWA
    Had money on a draw so that was dead and buried before then.

Just think of the uproar if Keane had committed those tackles. The first one was an over the ball 2 footed jump down the shins of the Greek player and could have broken his leg, luckily for him his leg was nearly horizontal at the time. It was on the blind side of the referee and linesman. UEFA hopefully will take action. The referee seemed to think something had happened and therefore might mention it in his report. The other incident was in full view of the referee when he kicked out at the Greek. That is a red card offence. :mad:

Just saw on bbc that Nunez played the whole game, I though he was taken off at half time. :D

And before Liverpool fans get carried away the tops seeds in that group fell apart - think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Bad luck kida, hope you didnt lose too much.

Nunez had an excellent header for the second goal (keeper saved it but Mellor knocked in the rebound) but apart from that he was dire. I couldnt believe that Nunez started and Sinama didnt against Villa, and was totally astonished the same happened again last night. The one weakness Benitez has is that he favours his own signings over other players - though probably the same goes for most manangers.

Fair play to Harry. That was a moment of absolute magic for the first goal. Hopefully he can build on that.

Sinama's livewireness made a huge difference too. Not to mention scoring one and making one. He surely has to start in future, either on the right or just behind Baros.

Great stuff from Mellor too. He did really well for his goal (the defender should have been favourite for that ball) and a great knockdown for the winner. I dont think he has what it takes to be a frontline striker at Liverpool, but he's a valuable squad member.

I dont think Stevie G should be captain. He's still too young for it. There needs to be someone who can tell him not to be taking ridiculous shots from from 40 yards, and to calm down and stop kicking people. As captain I think he feels he can do whatever he likes. However its probably impossible to take it off him. I also hate to see him taking corners, when he's probably the second best header of a ball on the team! Phenomonal finish for the winner.

How well did Jamie Carragher do for the winner? Super stuff Carra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

kida wrote:
    Just think of the uproar if Keane had committed those tackles. .

We have all seem tackels like that from Keano in the past, some the ref takes action and other he turns a blind eye to. Gerrard was luck to finish the game but i doubt anything will come from UEFA.
    LFC well deserved that win last night, they play/fought and wanted it more simple as that. Not a pretty game but we all can not be Arsenal (thank god for that) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

How well did Jamie Carragher do for the winner? Super stuff Carra.
    Ya, I was surprised to see him that far forward and being creative.

However, when Rivaldo was going through the middle before he scored, Carra was his usual cross legged self, same as Henry went by him last year for his wonder goal. Thought he could have stood up more and made a better challenge.

I think the ref had a mixed game....he tried to keep the game flowing as best he could but let a lot of yellow cards go. One of the Greek defenders should have been shown at least 3 yellows, so I think he was just evening things up with the yellow for SG when it should have been red.

Only thing I was pi$$ed about was I walked out of the room and heard Martin Tyler shout "GERRRAAARRRD" and couldn't believe I missed the goal live.
    Gray wet his pants 10 times over.

Anybody got a link to the last goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

One of the best games I've seen in a while, in terms of attacking football and atmosphere.

The phrase "sing when you're winning" does spring to mind however. Liverpool were completely silenced when it was 1-0 and 1-1, and only when they went in front did they really find their voice. I dont think I've ever seen a player who consistently hits shots as cleanly as Steven Gerrard, other than maybe Paul Scholes.

Great night of football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement