Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christy's new album is b0llox

Options
  • 01-07-2001 4:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

i thought he was going back to the more traditional Christy (Raggle taggle gypsy remake style) but alas

i have no prob with ppl making sh|te albums like this, but ffs he ruined two good Cork songs. He took a very original Johnny Spillane song and a good Jimmy McCarthy song and killed them both. Now these songs will always be associated with Christy and bluddy ell.

i had to give it to my bro who lives in USA as a present, and now i'm thinking of hiding it because i don't want to have to listen to it, and also i don't want him to think of these good cork songs as slow Christyisms.

and btw... i have an audio cd that i burned at home, and the quality of it is very bad on this DVD/CD player we have here.... are some cd players unable to read cd's compiled from mp3's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

theres just nothing to sing about any more thats all... used to be that irish events would be a good inspiration for songs but not anymore.. i mean who wants to hear a christy moore track about a bleedin tribunal smile.gif

haven't listened to any of his albums i have in ages..

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Was never fond of any form of Irish Music...

As of late, all of it has been abismal, and Christy's Album was of no positive contribution...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

never fond of ANY form of Irish Music!!! mygod thats big.
    u telling me u don't like any of these songs:

Pogues: auld triangle/waxies dargle
    Ash: Uncle Pat/Goldfinger
    Thin Lizzy: Whiskey in the Jar
    Old town (just phil)
    Cranberries: Zombie/dreams
    Waterboys: GLASTONBURY SONG, Fishermans Blues
    U2: Sunday Bloody Sunday, One
    Sinead O'Connor: Nothing Compares 2 u
    Paul Brady: crazy dreams/the island
    Luke Kelly: Sun is Burning
    Undertones: Teenage Kicks
    Jimmy McCarthy: Mad Lady and Me/Ride On
    Frames: Revelate
    Christy Moore: Missing You (another song by JMC incidently, but i prefer christy's version of this one)
    Aslan: Crazy world

those are just some of the songs from my 2 volume Irish Compilation album that i made last week... and i know theres a load of good stuff that i did and did not include smile.gif

and thats just my taste... theres so much good Irish music... surely it caters for everyone? like.. everyone likes Glastonbury song!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

hellweather.gif

The Cranberries kick ass...
    And of course Thin Lizzy...
    U2 were cool...

Nobody mentioning The Jamm???

For shame... tongue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

for proper irish (i.e. celtic influenced) music:

Kila - Mind The Gap (Sean Deora is one bloody amazing track amongst others)
    Afro Celt Soundsystem - Vol II: Release (Eireann or Lovers Of Light are damn good)

please don't mention Aslan, Ash and co. in a thread like this, its just brought it down so very very much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I remember Christy did this mad dance remix to Rocky Road To Dublin (?), which sounds wierd, but worked really well. I think Christy is great..

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

WHAT ABOUT THE DRAINS IN HACKNEY ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

angelwhore... i don't know who the Jamm are, what are their best songs, i'm halfway through volume 3 smile.gif
    also.. are Stiff Little Fingers irish? if so, whats their best songs?

kali, i think those Ash songs Uncle Pat and Goldfinger are both excellent songs, and they don't bring "a thread like this" down, because its showing some more varieties of Irish music. The riff on Uncle Pat is great.
    Aslan aren't great imo, and they didn't actually make Volume 1 or 2 of my cd's, but they will deffo be on volume 3 because Crazy world is a decent enough song.
    I'm not too fond of Afro Celt, but Kila will definitely be on Volume 3 smile.gif

and for celtic influenced music, the Pogues 0wn all smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AngelWhore:
    Nobody mentioning The Jamm???
    For shame... tongue.gif[/B]</font>

Don't you mean : "The Jam" ??
    Cos If u do - I'm pretty sure they're not Irish.

And if u really do mean "The Jamm" then
    - I'm sorry for sayin' anything about it smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The Jam... The Jamm...
    I dunno...

But they were a Galway band...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

For Illkillya

Stiff Little Fingers best songs

Alternative Ulster
    Suspect Device

Classic early Irish punk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm reptty sure Stiff Little Fingers are Scottish - but I'm happy if someone can confirm either way - great band.

The Jam - were they not a "mod" band in The Who and The The's days?

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

slf are very much a norn irn band, afaik.

back to christy - is damien demsey on this disk, or was that the last one?

i have to confess, i gave up on christy before even that crap footie song and the rose of tralee song. useta like some of his stuff, some of the political stuff, some of the romantic stuff. but that's all gone. i think his soul died in one of the heart attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Yeah, SLF from NI. However, in latter years were joined by a couple of Brits. Coincidentally, Bruce Foxton from the Jam is their bass player at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    I'm reptty sure Stiff Little Fingers are Scottish - but I'm happy if someone can confirm either way - great band.
    </font>

SLF were from Norn Iron. Belfast to be precise. Best songs? Just about anything from their first and finest album Inflammable Material. eg Alternative Ulster, Suspect Device, and a kicking version of Bob Marley's 'Johnny Was'
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    The Jam - were they not a "mod" band in The Who and The The's days?

</font>

Dressed like mods in the mid 70s. Sounded like punks. Great Lyrics. Shot Paul Weller to fame. Can't believe there's some people who don't know this.

PS the Jam were no more Irish than Jack Charlton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bettyboo

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hairy Homer:
    Dressed like mods in the mid 70s. Sounded like punks. Great Lyrics. Shot Paul Weller to fame. Can't believe there's some people who don't know this.

PS the Jam were no more Irish than Jack Charlton.

I think you'll find that under the 'grandad' ruling, all english people are in fact oirish, especially true for paul o'weller

</font>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

i thought folk were referencing a small irish band called the jams, not the weller outfit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 purple monkey dishwasher

how come none of you guys mentioned therapy?,wilt,the undertones,co.uk,kerbdog or turn,theyre all grear bands especially therapy?,not traditional but all irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Yeah, Therapy are pretty much a decent kick ass rock band. One of fave songs ever is the "I think I've gone insane one" (Die Laughing?). Never bought the album; should get around to it.

I never liked traditional stuff like Christy Moore; he simply looked like some old guy *****ing about stuff (I am not trolling), no entertainment, no real life in the songs the way he sang them.

I don't suppose Metallica count though; even though Kirk Hammet's mother is from Galway I read somewhere.

To answer the original posters question on CD-Rs: it totally depends on the quality of the MP3s.

If you are planning on burning a CD, don't go below 160kbps, and go for 192kbps which is virtually indistinguisable from normal Audio CD. 128kbps is okay for listening to test a song or something, but when burned and put at high volume, you'll get quite noticeable muffling especially if there is a bit of bass in the song.

Don't listen to people if they say a TDK CDr for £3 "Audio CDR" is better than a dirt cheap one, they make zero difference. However, some of the cheaper brand CDRs may not play well in your stereo or hifi.

You can hear it especially in a car CD; it will be reading like a ******* with audible movements of the laser on poor CDRs; this is only at low volume when it's virtually silent. There is for me anyway no difference in quality compared to other TDK or Sony ones, but (and maybe it's my imagination) I think poor quality CDRs may skip a bit more if you go over rough road.

Another thing (getting off track now), is the burning software. Nero is by far the best; using something like Feurio which is free, and good, let me burn at 4x on some cheap CDRs for audio, and the quality was well below the same CD .wav files burned in Nero, which suspiciously only allowed me to burn them at 2x ("Write speed change due to media" it said) with that particular dodgy brand (or unbrand, as the case may be).

So there you go.

And, yes some CD players may have trouble with certain brands of CDR. This problem is mostly on older equipment. Most 2 year old+ stereos will not play CDRWs at all (different strength in the laser process to adjust a wavelength in the media of the CDRW itself, not the traditional one-off write-once method, so the lasers are not equipped to read the different standard).

[This message has been edited by Red Moose (edited 11-07-2001).]

Advertisement