Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Actor with the coolest lines?

• 08-12-2004 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭

On a post in the 'Best Movie Scene' thread Hairy Homer mentioned the fact that Clint has some of the stone cold coolest lines in movie history - in Dirty Harry, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven, etc...

I would put it to you all that no other actor has had as many cool lines as Clint (or looks as mean, for that matter) - or at least not as many cool lines that can measure up to Clint's classics! Anyone care to disagree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Jack Nicholson could compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Arnie has some of the corniest, funniest, one liners in history, all his old films are packed with em, and their fu*kin hilarious imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Jack, he's the man.

Gary Oldman's had some pretty cool lines in the past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Samuel L Jackson reeks of cool. Although he is a bit of a Michael Madsen, doing shed loads of terrible films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Id have to go for BogarT, or jack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Michael "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Caine! :D

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Connery has a few too, one of the first being "I think they were on their way to a funeral"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I watch every Christopher Walken movie, no matter how bad it is, just to see what kind of crazy shit he'll come out with. Even when he's not in a movie, he still comes out with some gems - on the Spike Jonez DVD, when talking about "Weapon of Choice", he explains how Spike had him suspended on wires... "like some kind of frankfurter".

A king among men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

"Don't make me tell you again about the scooching"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Lauren Bacall
    Though i think it was the lines, who she said them to
    and movies where words were as important as action

Best worse lines must go to cast of Rocky Horror

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

No best worst line has to go to the lad in resident evil:apocalypse, after shooting a dog takes a drag on a cigerette and cooly says "down boy"

Its so bad its almost cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Groucho Marx.

"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Orson Welles had a few great ones.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Evil Dead trilogy had some funny ones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket probably beats him on a film-for-film hit rate, but over an entire career, Clint beats him. Agree with Grouch though - by far and away some of the best lines ever.

"Only steers and queers come from Texas boy, and you don't look much liek a steer to me"
    "You probably wouldn't even have the decency to give a fella a reach-around!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, and R. Lee Ermey improvised those lines all himself..

Sergeant Hartman: How tall are you, private?
    Private: Sir, five-foot-nine, sir.
    Sergeant Hartman: Five-foot-nine, I didn't know they stacked **** that high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What? How has no-one mentioned Al?

Al Pacino definitely has to have had some of the coolest lines in the history of cinema making. From the ubiquitous "Hoo-Ah" of Scent of a Woman to Michael Corleone's "This whole court room's outta order!"...

Or more recently Kevin Spacey who got some amazing lines in American Beauty and The Usual Suspects...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Richard E. Grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Speaking of R Lee improvising, what about this from Steven Seagal's On Deadly Ground:

My guy in D.C. tells me that we are not dealing with the student here, we're dealing with the professor. Anytime the military has an operation that can't fail, they call this guy in to train the troops, ok? He's the kind of guy that would drink a gallon of gasoline just to piss in your campfire. You could drop this guy off in the Artic circle wearing a pair of bikini underwear without his toothbrush, and tomorrow afternoon he's gonna show up at your poolside with a million dollar smile and a fistful of pesos. This guy's a professional, ya got me? If he reaches this rig, we're all going to be nothing but a big godd*** hole right in the middle of Alaska. So let's find him and kill him and get rid of the son of a b****!"

Ah, i love seagal movies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

ionapaul wrote:
    On a post in the 'Best Movie Scene' thread Hairy Homer mentioned the fact that Clint has some of the stone cold coolest lines in movie history - in Dirty Harry, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven, etc...

I would put it to you all that no other actor has had as many cool lines as Clint (or looks as mean, for that matter) - or at least not as many cool lines that can measure up to Clint's classics! Anyone care to disagree?

http://www.filmsite.org/filmfotos/dirtyharry.wav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Richard E. Grant.

For "Withnail & I" , yeah , then again everyone else had brilliant lines in that.

But i don't remember him saying anything of note in any other films.
    Certainly not Spice World anyway. (not that i've seen it , but i doubt it )

I'd give it to Jesse Ventura in Predator

When the other soldiers refused his offer of some chewing tobacco -

"Bunch of slack jawed Fa**ots around here, this stuff will make you a God damn sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me"

During the big gun fight,

Pouncho - "Youve been hit, man, your'e bleeding"
    Blain - "I ain't got time to bleed" ( Also the name of Jesse's autobiography )

And the all time classic,

Blain gets his Gatling gun ready -

"Come on in , you ****ers , come on in, Old Painless is waiting"

Pure Gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Roddy Piper has the two best lines ever
    and both of the from They Live:

Life's a bitch, and she's back in heat!

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Bruce Campbell "Groovy"

"Gimme some sugar baby"

"Yo, She-Bitch!"

"woodshed" (although Evil Dead fans know he doesn't ACTUALLY say it...)

Either him or Christopher Walken:
    He even got great lines in a movie like Envy..
    "Hide? Shouldn't I just... mosy off?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

"Say 'ello to my little friend!" tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

I'm sure we can handle this responsibly, just like the mature adults that we are. Isn't that right, mr poopy pants!

Leslie Nielsen as Frank Drebin in the Naked gun.

Advertisement