Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What movie makes you cry?

• 08-12-2004 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Just like the man says, what's the last movie that got you just so. For those of us who are manly men, I'm including that lump in the throat and the feeling that maybe you're "coming down with something".

For me, it's the last 5 mins of saving Private Ryan.
    From Hanks dying to the very end
    (apart from the glamour shot of the US flag), I'm all about the "mustn't cry" face...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The Last Samurai, and Braveheart. Possably 2 of the most emoth envoking films Ive ever seen. Last Samurai gets me every time more or less, the whole last few minutes are just flawless, and for braveheart, the whole execution scene just brings a tear to my eye too, superb directing and acting in both films imo.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I must be a tough man because two of the movies quoted above - "Saving Private Ryan" and "The Last Samurai" - have me yawning at their mawkwish sentimentality. "The Last Samurai" I found particularly ineffective.

But wahhhh @ 'In America' and plenty of scenes such as the fair or, indeed, the very end...

Nick Furey: Agent of Shield

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

E.T. gets me everytime as does the end of stand by me. Real choking back tears films.

And of course the end of Terminator 2 when arnie gives the thumbs up. *weep*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Naturally since im a solid stone of machismo id never cry..
    but if i did,it would for "e.t." and "one flew over the cuckoos nest"..
    for obvious reaons..

Oh and DONT FORGET TO USE SPOILER TAGS!!!! ..
    cant stress that enough people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

The Shawshank Redemption - Round about the, "wings are too bright," line.

Amelie - When she walks the blind man (I don't know why).

American Beauty - The last minute or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

For some reason the only one that gets me in anyway is Field of Dreams. I think people know the scene :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I think the only film I've ever cried during is Cinema Paradiso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

As i kid i got very emotional over...Popeye(dont know why i just wrote that)

But shawshank, stand by me, and the end of lost in translation for some reason

corblimey wrote:
    For me, it's the last 5 mins of saving Private Ryan. From Hanks dying to the very end (apart from the glamour shot of the US flag), I'm all about the "mustn't cry" face...

Thanks for giving the ending away!! He dies?!

My blubby film is some mothers son and (quite true yet unbelievable) Deep Impact. FULL ON FLOODS :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Once Upon a time in Mexico made me cry because it was so fúckin shít!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

well... cryin gets ya some attention from girls...
    so ive cried watching...
    braveheart,
    gladiator,
    romeo and juiliet,
    titanic,
    lord of the rings the return of the king, ( dont ask why ),
    Return of the King during the Ride of the Rohirrim and the Steps of Doom,
    the green mile ( roared like a bitch really ),
    Donnie Darko (when Donnie's body is taken away),
    Bambi (of course),
    Watership Down (when Hazel dies),
    Schindler's List,
    My Girl ( 1 and 2 ),
    the passion of the christ ( god sakes i cried the whole movie... ),
    A.I
    basic,
    and loads loads more....
    armageddon ( when she cries talking to her dad at the end.. )
    deep impact ( god sakes im sad... )

and ill update the list as i remember what films i watched and cried in....

well... cryin gets ya some attention from girls...
    so ive cried watching...
    braveheart,
    gladiator,
    romeo and juiliet,
    titanic,
    lord of the rings the return of the king, ( dont ask why ),
    Return of the King during the Ride of the Rohirrim and the Steps of Doom,
    the green mile ( roared like a bitch really ),
    Donnie Darko (when Donnie's body is taken away),
    Bambi (of course),
    Watership Down (when Hazel dies),
    Schindler's List,
    My Girl ( 1 and 2 ),
    the passion of the christ ( god sakes i cried the whole movie... ),
    A.I
    basic,
    and loads loads more....

and ill update the list as i remember what films i watched and cried in....

:eek: Oh dear lord....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Yeah forgot about The Green Mile cryed like a girl while reading the book and then the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

i think people are forgetting The Land Before Time! As a kid, that had be bawling each and every time. when his mother dies is one of the saddest things I've ever seen....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

watership was pretty rough while a kid also.
    last movie i felt a little sad about was the ending of A perfect world (kevin costner kidnaps a deprived child and they become friends)

also to the guy with the long list...its not kleenex you need, its councilling and cut down on cheese..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Uncle

"Dances With Wolves" surely the parting gifts at the end pipe and knive will bring a tear to any grown man????? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i dont get that feeling from a movie i guess im too manley
    or movies just arnt good enough.

ive cryed laughing from a movie does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

gandalf wrote:
    For some reason the only one that gets me in anyway is Field of Dreams. I think people know the scene :D
    Scariest film ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

OK, now this one will get one hell of a laugh, but you know the big presidential speech in Independance Day "We will not go quietly into the night, we will not give up without a fight... etc.", well that gets me welled up every time!

In terms of something that'll actually make me full on cry I can only think of one thing: "We Stand Alone Together: The Men of Easy Company", it's a featurette included in the box-set of Band of Brothers that features all the surviving members of the company talking about what they went through. To watch these unbelievable characters who went to hell when they were younger than me, who literally held their friends in their arms when they died, who suffered the winter of Bastogne and realise how ungrateful the world around them is, well, that gets me crying and I'm not ashamed of that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Aldini98

Sleepy wrote:
    In terms of something that'll actually make me full on cry I can only think of one thing: "We Stand Alone Together: The Men of Easy Company", it's a featurette included in the box-set of Band of Brothers that features all the surviving members of the company talking about what they went through. To watch these unbelievable characters who went to hell when they were younger than me, who literally held their friends in their arms when they died, who suffered the winter of Bastogne and realise how ungrateful the world around them is, well, that gets me crying and I'm not ashamed of that one.

Yeah I know what you mean. Love BoB, great box set. Nearly cry at the opening titles ffs !!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The end of Fearless brings a tear to the eye I must admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

When i heard there was another lord of the rings out i cried like a little baby. Then when i heard another one was coming out i went into depression (which i spent alot of the time crying).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

jonnybadd wrote:
    Yeah forgot about The Green Mile cryed like a girl while reading the book and then the film.

I think i felt all teary eyed at the end of Green Mile too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I used to be one of those stone cold-hearted men. Would only cry if my beer was spilt. But the past few years I've changed. I first noticed it watching E.T., then it became a lot more noticeable during All About My Mother. As for the most recent, I'm sure I've let a tear go since but the last few seconds of Pieces of April had me blubbing like a baby. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

Its a wonderful life - every christmas. Damn you Mr. Potter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Its a wonderful life - every christmas. Damn you Mr. Potter!

Yep second that and "The Elephant Man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

the end of Braveheart is such a tear jerker for me:( i try not to watch it anymore because of this.. possibly one of the greatest films ever

and armageddon :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Requiem For A Dream:
    Two parts especially: When Harry goes home to see his mother, and the ending of course
    Fahrenheit 9/11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Superman (1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

First 3 times i watched Gladiator...

RoTK - first time (at the end, leaving on the boats)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Little Women.. awhhh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭calis

the champ - cried like a baby.
    elephant man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Shit, I cry at the drop of a hat. I watched the Iron Giant the other week and was bawling for a half hour after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Requiem For A Dream... I didnt actually cry but I had that sore feeling at the back of meh eye ! *sniffle*

oh and Free Willy. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

is_that_so wrote:
    Yep second that and "The Elephant Man"

Oh jesus yes, absolutely amazing movie that always gets the auld tear ducts releasing.

Another film is the ironically titled Boys Don't Cry.
    Ironic because I was getting quite weepy.
    Brutal film, literaly.

Dancer In The Dark is another bleak film.
    As is The Plague Dogs, which is from the same people who made Watership Down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

As is The Plague Dogs, which is from the same people who made Watership Down.
    God I loved the Plague Dogs when I was younger. Must try and hunt down a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, when Spock dies at the end. Everytime I see it. Also get teary eyed at the end of most Rocky films.

DapperGent wrote:
    God I loved the Plague Dogs when I was younger. Must try and hunt down a copy.

I think you can actually pick it up for nothing in Dunnes, or the like.
    Be warned, it's a heavily edited version (Which I didn't know when I was buying it) but its the only DVD version there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Sleepy wrote:

Yes! Definatly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭L.W

the lion king
    the green mile
    and i know this isnt a film but when mark died in ER, omg ive never cried so much in my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

the lion king had me snivelling like a bitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

when i was a kid, dumbo, when the mother is jailed made me cryed.

billy elliot, all the scenes with the father. the scene of the strike and also the last scene are particulary emotive.

"gone with the wind" when the black mama explain to melly that the captain butler doesn't want his little girl is put in a box and "enterrée" because she is so much scared by the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

same but odly(i kno its not a film)i cried at futurama (the 1 where he finds his dog then he....wont ruin it)but i cried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Not so much cry but always brings me really close

Hunny i shrunk the kids, when their pet ant gets killed by the scorpion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Nothing original from me either...the films that make me cry are:

Band of Brothers
    Watership Down,
    ET

and I think it's called the longest Journey (or something like that) About these animals that get left behind or something...
    there is a scene where a cat seemingly drowns
    It has me in bits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I know some ppl who cried during .. one flew over the cuckoo nest.. personally I just laughed..

You heartless monster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

City of Angels for some strange reason.... and The Man Who Wasnt There

Oh, and how could I forget Grave Of The Fireflies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement