Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music has gone to Hell !!

Options
  • 10-07-2001 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

I went out the other day looking to buy somthing to read so I walked into a bookshop... only guess what I find? The fcuking autobiography of Ronan Poxy Keaton. I hate this guy. Seriously, can anyone please give me one sensible reason as to why this guy is still alive? In the ideal world he would be publicly executed. Let’s look at Mr Keaton’s crimes against the music industry:

1: Being part of Boyzone, probably the worst manufactured band ever (well, up until a year or so ago but I’m getting to that). What the **** are ‘Boyzone’ exactly? Five good looking stud-types who were brought together solely on account of their looks and designed to sell to hormone addled, under 16 year old girlies. What this marketing brainwave seems to suggest is that screaming teenage girls are suckers for any old sh**e as long as it is packaged with chiselled, Versace model types syncing the lyrics to cover versions of old songs on Top of the Pops.

2: By showing the world that there is indeed money to made from exploiting good looking guys and selling them to the under 16 market, other people got in on the act - allowing for the likes of 911, A1, Five etc etc.

3: Ronan Keating, having made a wad of cash through being a good looking guy who was carefully manufactured, taught to do some sh**ty stage dancing and then given a whole load of cover versions to lip synch to on stage decided to do the same for five other blokes. Hence, we’ve got Westlife... who are the worst, and definitely the most offensive manufactured band of all time.

How the fcuk didn’t even the stupid 16 year old bints see through this one? Didn’t any child who whined to their mum to buy them a Westlife single realise that Mr Keaton was sitting in his big mansion somewhere rubbing his hands together and saying: ‘Ha ha, another stupid little child conquered!’ What mental defect is it that young girls in their early teens develop which makes them buy all this sh17? How the fcuk did any living human being with two brain cells to rub together not see Westlife as the calculated, not even very clever brainchild of an evil, corporate whore, self-obsessed piece of cr*p?

OK OK OK... calm down. Now we’ve got fcuking A1 and any other pile of manufactured drivel getting to number one and what does Ronan Keaton do? Does he stand up and say:

‘Look guys this is madness. There are no more role models in music anymore. There is no Morrissey or Kurt Cobain around to make people feel a bit more normal about themselves. There are no Shaun Ryder or Johnny Rotten types... just boy bands with angelic looks, and this can’t be doing anyone any good. Independent record labels are shutting up shop... the radio won’t play anything but boy band toss, the shops won’t even stock the releases of certain guitar bands - and all because no one knows anything else but what they hear on the radio and what they see on billboards. Now let’s face it - that’s all determined by money. Marketing men money. Hence, I’m a success and other struggling, far more talented guitar bands are failing to make any impact at all. Simply because there is no room for them in today’s musical climate. So I’m gonna no longer exploit this, fcuk the stupid little kids that buy my sh**... it’s time to say that I’m a fake, a corporate whore and a piece of calculating, satanic poo.’

NO! Keaton doesn’t do that. He flogs himself for all he’s worth. Pretends he’s some kind of artist, rather than a good looking guy with no talent other than his genetics who just got really ****ing lucky, and releases a ****ty solo single and writes an autobiography!!! Fcuk you Keaton. I hope you choke to death on a Kinder egg you piece of festering dingo dung, and I hope the same happens to all five members of these Boyzone wannabes Westlife.

Christ, I’m not a violent person at all - but couldn’t their lungs be put to better use. I’m sure there’s a nice person out there waiting for a transplant. C’mon Keaton/ Westlife - give away your body to those more worthy. There are small kids out there who may grow up to be important figures... so do the right thing. You’re not important to anyone over the age of sixteen. Do the right thing.

Just a thought ! wink.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

lol, this is so going forward as post( read: 'rant') of the month...

Lucutus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

who really cares apart from you that is if you don't like it then just tactfully aviod it as I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Manufactured bands have been around for a long long time even before Bros etc. arrived on the scene, as have individuals like Keating, I mean how many books has Cliff Richard?

And last time I checked Shaun Ryder was still around, he's just a bit of a ponce these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I met the guy before as he was doing his shopping in the Omni Centre in Santry. He seemed like a sound enough bloke, - decent sort of fellah. Everybody makes their money some way- he made it by peddling sh|te in the charts and preying, along with the other members of Boyzone, and his "musical" offspring, Westlife on the emotions of adolescent and pre-adolescent kids (mainly girls)... well... so what?

You're not the first person to wish bad things upon him and his kind and you won't be the last... but hell... who really gives a flying fook? rolleyes.gif Chill out... it really doesn't matter a sheeite in the grand scheme of things, now does it? smile.gif

Bard
    "I have a plan... and it's as hot... AS MY PANTS!!!" - Lord Flashheart.

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 10-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Aye, but it is hard to stomach it all the same, especially around christmas where all the abhorent 'music' cmpilations ome out procaliming that waht they ahve si teh 'diffinative music collection of 199x/200x' etc.
    To find some good quality music youmust go to gigs in small venues regualarly and if u hear something u like go buy the record, its the only way these bands will get noteriety, besides some of teh good souled peeps on nighttime radio, though even that has gone to teh dogs lately frown.gif
    Have you heard of the new marketing bracket for ages 8-12? they're empahtically called 'Tweenies'
    /me pukes in corner
    Its sad and I cry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I wouldn't say "Just ignore it", because music like this *IS* damaging real music...

Music like boyzone makes me HAVE to order CD's in from Finland, Sweden and Norway...
    This music hurts my pockets... Because it's expensive, and it takes ages to order CD's in...

I payed £18.99 today for a CD I ordered about two months ago from Norway...

Try waiting for 6 months, to take a 3 hour bus trip to Dublin to buy a CD you order in from Finland...
    Tell me one Boyzone fan who has to do that?

Or it could be that I have odd tastes... biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Just because kids are listening to bad music, that doesn't mean that the quality of all music is degrading.

Everything on MTV, popular radio stations is just played to make money. There's even more amazing music around the place than ever before.

As for your "independent record labels closing shop" statement, I've seen no evidence of this whatsoever. Maybe it's just the Scandinavian Death Metal indie labels that are shutting down?

The popuarity of shallow junk in the music business is also being echoed in the movie/TV business. Music that doesn't make a lot of money will never be popular. Does it need to be? No, as long as we keep buying and supporting it then it'll still be made.

-Son of Blam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

"Or it could be that I have odd tastes..."

Yeah HMV do tend to be a little slow in getting in the new scandanavian death metal albums, obviously not enough room on the shelves with all the unsold mark mccabe singles.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I do agree Ronan is a bit of a ******** but my ohh my at least we Know some one not to bring to meet Ronan Keaton any way :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

WAY TO GO, BUBBA!!!

DEATH TO ALL BOY BANDS!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Yeah Death to Boybands...long live Otranome!!Otranome_mail@yahoo.com for a free CD with ice shiney cover!!

otranome_mail@yahoo.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 purple monkey dishwasher

as the dead kennedys once said

MTV-GET OFF THE AIR!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

This thread is retarded. It started off with a terribly boring rant by someone who seems to think that he's the genius that copped the fact that record companies have been cynically manipulating the public in order to sell records. And what's worse.. they've been doing it by selling something that's popular!
    Jesus.
    I hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but this has been the way since your parents.. your grandparents (probably) were your age. Look at Elvis in the 50's and 60's. Give Ronan Keating a couple of decades, a few hundred pounds and a regular spot in Vegas, and you'll have a new Elvis.

Independent music, especially in Ireland, is thriving. Look at the Rednecks.. a whole album, on their own label, recorded in their guitarist's shed.

One thing I found ironic about your whole tirade... "There are no Johnny Rotten types" .. Johnny Rotten, and indeed, the Sex Pistols, were the result of a cynical marketing machine. Much like.. Ronan Keating!

As for the rest of you, whinging that shops like HMV don't stock obscure bands, while they constantly have a fresh stock of Craig David.. what do you honestly expect? They're in this to make money - if your obscure band is going to be overlooked by Joe Public, and left sitting on the shelf, they won't order it, they'll use the space to hold something that WILL sell. A lot of shops, like HMV or Tower are usually quite good at ordering obscure stuff if you ask them, why not ask them to order it?

So, to sum up...
    Quit whining, jerks.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

I’m sure we all are well aware that this sort of thing has been going on a long time!

This was not a shock to me or anybody else, the whole point of the thread was just to let it be known that I, for one, have had enough of all these poncy no talented little boy bands!!

Who imho are just pumping the airwaves full of smushy crap aimed at a small proportion of our society, a proportion that as yet doesn’t know any better than to succumb so the Advertising moguls every desire!!

There is no way u can compare a great Master like Elvis Presley, who could actually sing and play instruments, with a no talented little spastic w*nker like Ronan Keating, who hasn’t got a note in his head and cant play a thing except his wallet!!

smile.gif

I thick he is rubbish, him and all the other no talented boy band idiots!! That’s my opinion!

Get over it! smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This was not a shock to me or anybody else, the whole point of the thread was just to let it be known that I, for one, have had enough of all these poncy no talented little boy bands!!</font>
    Fair enough - but aside from posting a poorly-thought diatribe on boards.ie, what have you done? Is that as far as you're going to go?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Who imho are just pumping the airwaves full of smushy crap aimed at a small proportion of our society, a proportion that as yet doesn’t know any better than to succumb so the Advertising moguls every desire!!</font>
    Listen carefully, because this is not a difficult concept, and I'm quite amazed I have to spell it out like I am.. The goal of large record companies is not to enrich people's lives. They are out to make money. Young people are easily parted with their money, so give them what they want.. boy bands for the girls, Limp Bizkit and Eminem for the boys. Complaining about this is like complaining about the amount of ads for toys around Christmas time.

And as for your opinion that Elvis was better than Ronan Keating.. in the immortal words of Mista Chuck ..
    Elvis was a hero to most, but he never meant sh!t to me (motherfu!k him and John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think ObeyGiant likes ol Ronan Keaton bless his cotton socks :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Screaming girls and marketing ploys are where the similarity between Elvis and Ronan Keating ends. Elvis had talent, Ronan clearly does not.

Image56.gif Pika!

Peace out.

In the 60's there was ONLY The Monkeeys, they were the only manufactured band.

In the 60's there was The Doors, there was Elvis Presley, there was The Beatles... They got there on their own steem...

People still listen to the aforementioned bands today...
    How many of the teeny tots out there even know who Bros were???

Anyway, I don't bother shopping in HMV, I spend most of my spare change in Sound Cellar, keep the likkle independant store going.
    But it's extremely hard for them to get certian things also you know?

Besides, Scandinavian Death Metal isn't quite my cup of tea...

Some nice Black metal from Norway/Sweden/Finland...
    Lots of obscure gothic bands too...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Son of Blam:

Just because kids are listening to bad music, that doesn't mean that the quality of all music is degrading.
    </font>

That one line sums it up nicely. The quality of music hasn't degraded. It's just that the cr*p gets bought more and hence hits the top of the charts.

When was the last time you watched a "chart show", anyway?

Bard
    "I have a plan... and it's as hot... AS MY PANTS!!!" - Lord Flashheart.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Whats a Chart Show ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

We need a good old-fashioned recession. Take away all that disposable income that mommy and daddy love to give to their little angels so they can change their hero’s week in week out.

Then watch the marketing machines die.

No money equals less crap music in the mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

There will always be 'music you dont like'. At the end of the day, the fact that ronan doesnt have much more than a nice set of newly capped teeth and a voice made for the studio is completly irrelevant. His 'music you dont like' happens to be 'music i like' for millions of people who dont really care if he can really sing like that or who wrote the words.
    A lot of you seem to be overlooking the fact that boyzone and westlife actually sold quite a lot of albums. 16 year old girls cannot and do not account for all these. I know quite a few 'old folk' who have these albums, and when questioned about the validity of them will tell you 'fcuk off, i LIKE it'
    Theres a demand for this stuff. Deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AngelWhore:
    In the 60's there was ONLY The Monkeeys, they were the only manufactured band.</font>

You *are* taking the **** aren't you?!! In the early to mid 60s a huge amount of pop music was manufactured, including a lot of the Motown type girl groups. The Monkees just stick out as an example because a) they were the first to have their own TV show, b) they had a good enough songwriting team for their songs to be remembered. Until the Beatles and the Stones it was perfectly acceptable for most pop actsnot to write thier own songs and to be moulded by a media-savvy team. Admittedly you could argue (and I would) the quality of the pop music put out by these 'manufactured' artists was superior to the boy-band fodder in the charts today, but that's a bit of a moot point, seeing as pop music all down to taste at the end of the day.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lolo:
    You *are* taking the **** aren't you?!! In the early to mid 60s a huge amount of pop music was manufactured, including a lot of the Motown type girl groups. The Monkees just stick out as an example because a) they were the first to have their own TV show, b) they had a good enough songwriting team for their songs to be remembered. Until the Beatles and the Stones it was perfectly acceptable for most pop actsnot to write thier own songs and to be moulded by a media-savvy team. Admittedly you could argue (and I would) the quality of the pop music put out by these 'manufactured' artists was superior to the boy-band fodder in the charts today, but that's a bit of a moot point, seeing as pop music all down to taste at the end of the day. </font>

Hmm... This kinda proves a point of mine, and quite unintentionally to boot!

Seeing how the only bands I know of that are from the 60's are the ones that AREN'T manufactured, proves that most of it is nothing but a simple fad...

And another thing, S Club 7 have their own show, or had, I dunno. It was on Network 2 sometime...
    History repeating itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

No it just proves you have a limited knowledge of the music industry and its history smile.gif

Just because you havent heard of them, doesnt mean they werent popular and would say 50 years a long time for a fad to continue smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dustaz:
    No it just proves you have a limited knowledge of the music industry and its history smile.gif

Just because you havent heard of them, doesnt mean they werent popular and would say 50 years a long time for a fad to continue smile.gif
    </font>

Personaly, I couldn't really care less about 60's pop industry, or it's history.
    My point is that The Beatles and The Doors were by far more popular back then, and are the only bands to have really lasted...

Also worth noting that I was born 19 years ago, and didn't have the privalage of being around to see pop trends of the 60's...
    And I also have no intrest in finding out about any of it either.

I also never said they WEREN'T popular either, simply that they AREN'T now...

Also, I have no idea who I'm talking about, so could someone fill me in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

The Beatles weren't exactly an unmarketroid band. Most of the songs had generic constructions and timings, sort of like Abbas music, which made it very catchy. I think John Lennons solo music was far more impressive than the boyband group that The Beatles essentially were.

The Doors I think are in a different league, as there seemed to be a vast range of music styles and originality. The whole poetry thing from Morrisson allowed them to be far more "experimental" if that is the right word.

But don't count out all other 60s bands; you'd be discounting Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, and even Aerosmith (who I believe will never actually die and are doing some weird Tommyknockers thing to keep going).

And of course the Beachboys, and so on. Of all, The Beatles seemed to be by far the most commercial.

Advertisement