Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave - Network did not assign a network address.

• 08-12-2004 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My third day with Ripwave and my first real problem (apart from no signal sometimes).

At the moment I'm getting a message saying "Limited or no connectivity". When I look at the LAN connection 2 status it says "You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer."

If I click "Repair" it says it's renewing my IP address, then it says the action cannot be completed.

Meanwhile the Navini Diagnostics are showing a connection with three bars (red) signal strength and 4 bars (amber) signal quality.

Is this a problem with my PC or is it a problem with the network ?

Anyone got any ideas ? (By the way, I'm using my old dial-up at the moment - just when I thought I could say goodbye to all that !!)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I believe there's a command you can execute in DOS that will renew your IP address.

If you go to a command prompt (START; RUN; type cmd, press enter) and type:

"ipconfig/release" and wait a moment... then type

"ipconfig/renew" I think that's supposed to refresh your IP.

Maybe then switch of your modem and try again.

You never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It's 'ipconfig' to see if you have an ip address.

It's 'ipconfig /release' if it shows that you have an ip address but it's not working.

It's 'ipconfig /renew' after doing the above to get a new ip address.

(The Atheist left out the spaces)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Thanks for the help guys.

I tried something like that last night (having tracked the advice down somewhere on this forum), but it didn't seem to work.

Does IBB send the IP address and then check it when you connect or does it just recognise one that's already on the PC ?

I've tried ringing support today, but it seems to be constantly engaged.

One way or another I can try your advice when I get home (I might have missed out on something last night).

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Is your pc set up to dynamically set it's ip address via DHCP???? if not then you need to enable DHCP.
    otherwise sounds like your connection is marginal. ring them and ask to make it roaming, may lock onto a better transmitter. was having all sorts of problems in Dundrum but got it roaming and haven't looked back since. connection is plenty fast, reliable and doesn't drop out on me. a happy camper thankfully, as my fone line won't do BB and NTL not in the area yet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Had a similar problem at one stage, turned out the ethernet cable between network card and modem was ever so slightly loose, so might be worth giving each end a shove in :)
    Other than that, switching off the modem for a time and back on again should sort it (assuming it was all working ok up until this)

- lamps

• Advertisement

My modem is one of the USB ones and the signal strength and quality are okay (according to the Navini diagnostics anyway), so I reckon that the cable is connected alright (although I'll give it a check).

"Is your pc set up to dynamically set it's ip address via DHCP???? "

I don't know but I'll try to check. I suppose it's accessible through the control panel. Any idea where to start ? - it's running on XP.

"Is your pc set up to dynamically set it's ip address via DHCP???? "

Yes, it seems to be.

I've tried all the advice here, but no go.

I also managed to get through to customer support. At one stage the guy told me he'd get the engineers to send a software update to the modem. I said "So I suppose I should leave it on". He said "it doesn't matter". He actually seemed more interested in convincing me that I wouldn't be able to receive the service rather than try to understand the problem.

Meanwhile my signal strength and quality are better than ever (according to Navini Diagnostics) but I'm still being told that the network did not assign a network address.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still no success. the problem seems to be that it can't acquire a network address, and ipconfig/renew gives the following error "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

Anyone know of any settings that might help this, or could the fault possibly at IBB's end ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

That the guy with the country accent?
    (nothing wrong with this, culchie myself, other people there are dub, bird, indian AFAIK)

I'd love to kick his fat pile ridden hole. What good is the firmware update supposed to do in this situation???

Those lads don't have a clue.

Well I don't know if it's something I did (I did a lot), something THEY did, or whether it's all just a strange mystery, but my connection is working again.

All in all though, it doesn't bode well for the future .....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd go with "strange mystery" ... but búl a bos for you!

Now just stay offline tommorrow while I attempt to play HALO.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭fatlog

hey,

i'm having the exact same problem. I'm getting an amber signal light and it won't pick up any network settings.

my PC is set for DHCP and I have tried the release/renew stuff. I get the same error saying that it can't locate the DHCP server.

all this and i have both amber signal strength and signal quality.

anyone got any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 The Rich Face

Hi

I have only gotten ripwave from Irish broadband in Dublin 11 and I have the exact same problem. I have been in contact with them three times already and they put it down to a weak signal, trees, metal around my window modile phone waves and my fav "I don't know what the problem is just turn the modem on and off see if that works" hang up. tryed them all and I moved my computer to a place where the signal is full and still get... "Limited or no connectivity"

I don't understand it - it worked for two hours and hasn't worked since.

If any one has any idea’s please post
    I'v Tried:

1. All ipconfig commands
    2. Setting static ip addrerss, mask and gateway – (just to see)
    3. fixing XP SP2 bug - Read more about this part of the fix and download it here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
    4. Cabling fixes
    5. Moving the modem around the house

This seems to be a problem with i good few ripwave users. Hopefully Irish Broadband will get the finger out soon and address this... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

Getting connectivity, through a Ripwave modem, is a bit of a black art! My modem is up in the attic, under a Velux window, with a 20 metre lan cable connecting it to the computer, in the hall. I also use a pizza box reflector, adjacent to the modem, to help focus the signal. You can also try rotating the modem to connect to another bts. I connect to bts 150, but have picked up 22, 26, and 140. 150 is in Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭zorch

The Rich Face

What BTS number are you connected to?
    Did they ask you for the MAC address of the modem?

No they never asked for the MAC address...

I'm on BTS 38 - 40...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I have a green light and I've had this problem for ages. There's nothing you can do about it except keep resetting the modem and clicking repair until you get a connection.

It's simply one of the downfalls of Ripwave (and Irish Broadband). It's a crap cheapo product.

I usually leave it for half and hour and come back later.

By the way, putting your modem on roaming can exacerabate it, because you modem can get confused between two different bases. At the moment I get a great speed on 32 and a crap speed on 30, but when connected to 32 for a while it'll disconnect and link to 30. I've asked them to lock me to 32 to no avail.:rolleyes:

It's a pain in the hole. Thankfully, NTL has said that BB is available in my area and I"m getting connected today. /says a little prayer that it works/

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭zorch

the will not lock you in - its a bad ieda - if they but another Base station closer to you you will never get on to it -

Yes after all my efforts in trying to get Irish BroadBands RIPWAVE to work, I have found the only thing to do is to pack the ****test broadband service back up in to its box and ship it back.

7 of my friends and family have also sent it back as they all had the same problem.

But don't worry I have looked around for the next best thing to ripwave, and after finding that a An ornamental garden Nome could pick up a better signal I decided, looking for a good BB service provider would be better.

NTL and esatBT have also launched a cheap BB service 20euro a month for a 1meg ADSL line:cool: :):):)

Perfect and it works every time

:):):):) I hate ripwave:) :):):)

Advertisement