Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned Car?

• 09-12-2004 12:05am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I live in a small enough appartment block that encloses a parking lot for about 15 cars. Cannt help but notice that one of the cars hasn't moved in about 2 months or more (its directly behind me when I reverse out).

In can rust into a pile for all I care and it dosn't effect me (other then taking up space in a busy car park) but I was wondering are you supposed to report things like that to the cops or just forget about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Get on to your Management Company. As it's on private property, the odds are that it can't be moved by the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Are you sure nobody owns it? Perhaps the owner of the spot has no car but is letting a friend keep it there while they are away? The property management company should deal with it. If it was on the street a good way to have it removed is to take off the license plates, it will be gone in a day or two. Always wondered about car parks though. I've seen a few cars at dublin airport for about four or fives years and no signs of them budging.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

If its one of the residents cars and its in his/hers allocated parking space than it cant be moved!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Get on to your Management Company. As it's on private property, the odds are that it can't be moved by the guards.

Managment company are a serious joke but I take your point about private property. The car park isn't bloacked to public access BTW (which is another issue).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

just burn the fcuker

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

FX Meister wrote:
    If it was on the street a good way to have it removed is to take off the license plates, it will be gone in a day or two.
    Commonly known as "criminal damage".

Yeah sure enough, but a few years ago some tinkers from Dunsink parked their clap heah outside my house and when it wouldn't start again just ditched it. Two weeks went by and after being told by the police on the phone they could do nothing I saw a cop looking at the tax disc one evening. It was himself that told me to take the plates off. I removed them that night and the car was gone when I came home from work the next night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Car was abandoned out my GF'shouse and the cops came and sorted it straight away (and on the QT in case they were locals). In fairness though they left the kyes in it and the windows rolled down.

I did see it parked around different spaces earlier in the year. Then one day it was parked and that was it. Its an old micra not worth much id say. Juat odd more then anything else. Longest anything is normally parked around is 2 days and even thats odd. High turn over round here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

well micras should be burnt regardless of their age, and preferably with the owner still in it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

maybe it's not the car that's dead :rolleyes:

Ring the Gardai. Tell them you think it's stolen, and give them the number plates. They'll find out who the owner is, contact them, and ask them about it.

We did it when a car was left abandoned at the front of a tiny estate (4 semi-d's) I lived in once. Had been there for about two weeks, and if you looked under it, you could see half of the transmission sitting on the ground. So we rang the Gardai said it could have been stolen/joyridden, and the next night there was a note left on it, apologising and saying it would be moved at the weekend, which it was.

He had left it unlocked the entire time, with a stereo and CDs and stuff in it. I know because I got in the passenger side hammered one night and stole a packet of chewing gum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

There's a metro parked outside my place since we moved in in May, fairly certain it's abandoned, might just pull the plates, and see what happens..

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

FX Meister wrote:
    It was himself that told me to take the plates off. I removed them that night and the car was gone when I came home from work the next night.

Pardon my ignorance here, but are you saying the car was stolen because it had no plates, or the Co. council took it away because it had no plates?

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If it has no identification mark, ie number plates, it's considered to be abandoned

alias no.9 wrote:
    If it has no identification mark, ie number plates, it's considered to be abandoned

Can't they just match the chassis number up with the log book?

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

That would involve forced entry into the car (opening the bonnet). A car with no reg plates can be taken away and crushed.

alias no.9 wrote:
    That would involve forced entry into the car (opening the bonnet). A car with no reg plates can be taken away and crushed.

Ah I see. So they can't force the bonnet open but they can crush the car into a cube ....makes sense I suppose :rolleyes:

DC.

dcGT wrote:
    Pardon my ignorance here, but are you saying the car was stolen because it had no plates, or the Co. council took it away because it had no plates?

DC.
    It was taken away by the authorities. I doubt joy riders would waste time trying to rob a car that wouldnt even start. I kind of messed up the car skating on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Anyone ever see the amount of abandoned cars in dublin airport block A. Theres one thats been there for years.

Yeah I've noticed that! They're full of dust. Looks like someone went on holidays and decided not to come back! A good place to get shot of a car you don't want by the looks of it. Some of them just need a few more years to mature as 'classics' :D

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'd say your talking about the white corsa with the golden eagle on the bonnet! vfunny looking, must get a pic of it when im out there next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

There's an abandoned Ford Fiesta covered in dust in my apartment block aswell. The management company left a note on the windscreen asking the owner to get in touch. The note is now also covered in dust.

While on the subject, the bike shed in my place has about 4 old bikes that haven't been moved in years by the looks of things..

Kevin.

I'd say your talking about the white corsa with the golden eagle on the bonnet! vfunny looking, must get a pic of it when im out there next.
    Ah yes, that one needed a second look. I couldn't believe what I was seeing :D

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

if its not annonying u leave it alone. i have left cars for 8 and 10 weeks on roads although they definately are taxed and display the discs. people have different stories.