Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda - Compliment

Options
  • 09-12-2004 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

So, it's 4:15 and my very pregnant wife gets the early pains of Labour. We leave Bray at 4:45 and head to Holles Street Hospital.

But the traffic was very bad and my wife sitting beside me was in agony so I stopped at the Cornelscourt junction where the garda were directing traffic and I explained that I needed to use the bus lane, but lo and behold they said follow the bike and we zoomed through at up 70 MPH through the traffic and all the way to the front door of the hospital. I'm sure that we looked like criminals when we were ahead of the biker and he was chasing, but it was a great expierence to travel so fast without the worry of speeding points or fines. 35 Minutes later my new Daugher was born at a healthy 7 pounds 11 ounces! :)

I'm so thankful to the Garda for their assistance as there's no way that we would have made it on time without their help! Tomorrow morning I plan on dropping into Cabinteely Garda station to say thanks with a nice big box of sweets.

Cheerio
    Howard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Thats great news congratulations and you'll have a great story to tell your daughter when she's older. 7lb 11oz is a great weight - exactly what my daugher weighed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

nice story!
    was cool. when my son's mother water's broke, i had to run to the hospital....
    wasnt fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

one to remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

congrats :D Not all Gardai are bad............. just about 99.9999999 % of them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Congratulations!

+Hats off to that Garda, Well done! at least there seems to be some guards with some common sense out there.

(would it have been safer tho' if the guard went first and u followed him/her)
    Great feel good story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

nice story!
    was cool. when my son's mother water's broke, i had to run to the hospital....
    wasnt fun!

I finished my pint first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

Sleipnir wrote:
    I finished my pint first.

hahaha legend.
    ur serious?

jesus man.
    i would have ran...
    oh wait i did!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

hshortt wrote:
    7 pounds 11 ounces!
    "That's a good sized baby.......Small turkey though". ;)

Congrats, great "When you were born" story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

hahaha legend.
    ur serious?

jesus man.
    i would have ran...
    oh wait i did!

Aye, I was in Kennedy's beside Pearse St station (it is Kennedy's isn't it?)
    My gf had called me earlier and said that nothing was going to happen that day so I took her at her word and went for a few quick, sly-pints.

I mean, you have plenty of time after the waters break before anything actually happens. The 1st time anyway.

I did tell the taxi driver to get a move on though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

seamus wrote:
    "That's a good sized baby.......Small turkey though". ;)

Congrats, great "When you were born" story.

I love that line from The Snapper :)

Oh yes I agree with you Fudger ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Thats a great tale there, glad to hear all went well and that there's some gards there with their heads screwed on,

my sister in law had a baby boy yesterday 10lb 50z though - its real exciting babies being born so close to christmas!

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great story Howard and congrats :)

That was a very quick labour, surely not your first child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Thanks Unkel, My wife's second child hence the absolute panic! haha, it worked out very well though.

And I did go and visit the Garda station the following day with a massive tin of Roses and a thank you card. I did not know the name of the Garda that helped us, but as I stood in Cabinteely garda station and began recounting the story to the Garda on duty, this fella in the bike gear stook up his head and said "oh hi-ya how'd you get on?" Really good bit of luck that I found him eh? Anyway as I expressed our thanks the other fellas in the station all had a giggle saying that it was a good thing he was there or the sweets would be have been gone and he'd have just gotten the card. haha. Then they asked if named the baby after him and I said "well no, but then... Elise... Police!" they had a laugh and then we left.

All good, really!
    Cheers guys,
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭shelly04

the gardai arent bad!! there for the well being of others!
    congrats on your kid howard!! ;)

Advertisement