Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which do you prefer, subs or dubs?

Options
  • 09-12-2004 2:00am
    Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭

A fairly classic question.

I personally prefer to watch subbed if I can, and will go to lengths to get subs over dubs. However, if I happen across something which is only dubbed I won't shun it simply for the fact it's dubbed.

I've preferred dubbed voices over the originals in some anime; one example being His & Her Circumstance, and yet found some dire dubs, such as Nadesico - Prince of Darkness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Subbed if at all possible.

Emotion seems to carry better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Usually subbed, but sometimes the subs can be horrible, and by extention, make it unwatchable. Case in point, the Castle In The Sky DVD, completely unwatchable in subbed mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Subbed, tho Cowboy Bebop was better dubbed I thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

I hate dubbed version for some reason, original version is usually really good considering that Japanese anime dub is a big business in Japan, Voice actors are usually really popular in Japan so it's no surprise that they put their hearts to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

mmm subs please...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

subs all the way, dubs are a last resort only, even if the quality of the subs is bad its still better to get the intended tonality of the dialogue than have to listen to the apalling english voice actors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Some of those "Funimation" dubs are terrible. You get the feeling that they're just making half of the conversations up to fit in with the lip movements :/

Subs all the way unless it's unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Case in point, the Castle In The Sky DVD, completely unwatchable in subbed mode.

Agree with you there, ugh. They got that guy from Dawson's Creek to do the voice of Pazu...

Saying that, I prefer subtitles most of the time. However, if I'm watching a comedic anime, I generally prefer dubbing. I could be in the mood for dubbing on the off day aswell, it's nice to let your eyes set on the nice animation for once!

The first time I watch an episeode of anime or a film I always watched it subbed. on subsequent viewings I may try the dubbed version and if its good then Ill watch it dubbed the second time round. Case in point, Cowboy Bebop the Movie and Metropolis both have decant dubbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

subbed tbh.

although both cowboy bebop and rahxephon have excellent dubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

prefer sub myself, that is until i learn japanese :D

i find dub's don't carry the emotion properly, saying that though if you watch a sub'd download from more than one source you find that some of the words are translated deifferrently and can actually effect your understanding of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Subbed.
    The Japanese language sounds so pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Definitely subbed. When I was younger, the 'Manga' videos were always dubbed, so I wasn't exposed to original Japanese dialogue with subtitles for some time. I couldn't go back!

Just thinking about the God-awful subbing for 'Street Fighter: The Movie', esp. Ken & Ryu when they're training *cringe* :D

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'm getting confused by some of you; it looks like people are mixing up subs and dubs...
    Case in point, the Castle In The Sky DVD, completely unwatchable in subbed mode.
    Agree with you there, ugh. They got that guy from Dawson's Creek to do the voice of Pazu...

0_o

and
    TCamen wrote:
    Definitely subbed. When I was younger, the 'Manga' videos were always dubbed, so I wasn't exposed to original Japanese dialogue with subtitles for some time. I couldn't go back!
    Just thinking about the God-awful subbing for 'Street Fighter: The Movie', esp. Ken & Ryu when they're training *cringe*

Maybe I'm just tired or something but neither of those make any sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Seriously, some Subtitles have been absolutely horrendous and made a film nearly unwatchable.
    That's not to say that I don't prefer the subs 99% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Definitely subtitled as non-japanese voices always seem to sound likes pussies in comparision to their japanese counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

This topic is done to death on most anime boards ( subs always win ) but I'll throw in my 2 cents regardless.

Subtitles. Japanese voice actors are far superior to their Western counterparts. In Japan a voice actor is a well paying job and the actor is as recognisable as many screen actors here. Western voice actors tend to be screen actors who can't get work, turn up, read off of a script they have barely flicked though and go home.

This is not a solid rule of course. There are some very good Western voice actors out there. They just don't work for low paying Anime dubbing companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Has to be subtitled. The dubs change the music occasionaly, and regularly cut out chunks.

I used to watch Dubs, but then my gf convinced me to watch Hellsing subbed...I've avoided dubs since the plague ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Subbed, of course. As mentioned above, modern anime sometimes has decent quality dubbing (Cowboy Bebop being a notable example), but I'll always try to hunt out a subbed version, even in these cases.

I have a dubbed copy of the Ghost in the Shell movie, formerly one of my favourite animated movies. I watched the Stand Alone Complex series subbed, then GITS 2 subbed. When I went to watch GITS 1 dubbed again after becoming used to the adventures of Maj. Kusanagi and co. through subbed Japanese, I was horrified at the dodgy American dubbing of the first movie that I had loved so much when I was younger and less exposed to decent voice-acting. I'll have to get a subbed copy if I ever want to watch it again :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

Sico wrote:
    I have a dubbed copy of the Ghost in the Shell movie. I'll have to get a subbed copy if I ever want to watch it again :/

Don't bother. The subtitles lag perceivably and ruin the movie. I don't know if this problem has been fixed, but the dub is atrocious so it's not worth the money for the DVD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Just thinking about the God-awful subbing for 'Street Fighter: The Movie', esp. Ken & Ryu when they're training *cringe*

Oops, my bad -- I did of course mean the God-awful DUBBING :D

In my defence, I got confused cos I either say 'dubbing' or 'subtitles', never 'subbing' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Subs > Dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

CuLT wrote:
    I'm getting confused by some of you; it looks like people are mixing up subs and dubs...

Maybe I'm just tired or something but neither of those make any sense to me.

I'm obviously the tired one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

eoin5 wrote:
    Subbed, tho Cowboy Bebop was better dubbed I thought

I thought the opposite, although the dubs in that were realyl well done. If i'm in bed watching an anime I'll throw it on dubbed, because I can't really read the subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Raphael wrote:
    Has to be subtitled. The dubs change the music occasionaly, and regularly cut out chunks.

I used to watch Dubs, but then my gf convinced me to watch Hellsing subbed...I've avoided dubs since the plague ever since
    watching Hellsing for the first time atm - some of the subs in the first few episodes make very little sense at times. that said it seems to be getting better as it goes on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

Raphael wrote:

"you'll read your anime and you'll like it!" :D

I've watched both subbed and dubbed Hellsing and they change the story slightly in the dubbed version, aswell as cutting out chunks and vioces just not sounding right.
    subbed all the way for quality but dubbed is easier if you're feeling lazy or sleepy or doing two things at once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

subs but i'm perfectly happy watching dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

im_not_ok wrote:
    subs but i'm perfectly happy watching dubs
    hence your name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    hence your name

funny :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Dubs are fine. If they leave the entire show/movie intact, with original music. And get some decent voice-actors.
    But then again, how many times have you seen that happen?
    No seriously. Have you ever seen that happen?

The dubs for Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin were 'ok'. As were the dubs for Trigun. But I preferred the subs.

Solution is.... Dual Language DVDs!! Then you can do either. Or, both! (It's very wierd watching them speak in English, and having DIFFERENT subtitles at the bottom. You get all confused.)

So basically Subs > Dubs in 99% of cases.

Advertisement