Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Lotto rigged do you think?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well I didn't win anything on the Lotto tonight!Had anyone else any luck? There was one winner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

sprinkles wrote:
    Your better off doing to the lotto in the bookies if you really want to do it at all. Odds are far better.
    It's easy to give better odds when you don't give 50% of the income to charities/sports/arts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

what are the odds of someone actually picking these numbers.
    Exactly the same as them picking any other six numbers

Anyway if you want a plausable determinator then how rare would it be HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING to find a family who pick numbers based on age with parents aged 37 and 32 and 4 kids aged 10-13? I'm sure statistically speaking its common enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Flukey wrote:
    Well I didn't win anything on the Lotto tonight!Had anyone else any luck? There was one winner!
    One of my 3 numbers came out. So close to €250 for Christmas. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

on sept 11 2002, the winning new york lottery numbers were 9 - 1 - 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Have a look at previous draws.
    When there is NO single digit number the jackpot is very rarely
    won and when there is at least one single digit, it's won more then 40% of the time.
    I'd imagine most people put in birthdays, ages, house numbers, car regs etc.
    As there are only 31 days (max) in each month a lot of people who play the same numbers every week never put in a number over 31!
    House numbers are mainly low, ages mainly low/mid, car reg numbers
    single digits normally.
    Obviously the higher the jackpot, the more people who play it and therefore the odds of it being won decrease.

This post reminds me of a funny feeling I had in Dec 2002 about the Lotto
    I sent this letter to the papers in Jan 2003 but for some strange reason they didn't publish it.
    which meant that each ticket won exactly 1 million Euro.
    This was the highest number of winners of a single jackpot in 2002.
    Would this be considered a strange coincidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Mad Mike wrote:
    I beg to differ NoelRock If you produced a coin and flipped it 40 times and it turned up heads every time I think that would be a pretty strong argument for betting on heads don't you?

Certainly it could be a fair unbiased coin but given that there is only a one in one million million chance of a fair coin turning up heads 40 times in a row I think it's a pretty safe bet to assume that the coin is rigged.

If fact if Eireboy is still reading - A far more sensible line of approach is to pick some numbers that have come up a lot recently just in case there is some bias in the balls. I wouldn't hold out much hope however - I am sure the Lotto people have thought of that and at very least swap the balls regularly.

Myself and a couple of mates were in vegas two years ago and at the roulette table. After black had come up four or five times in a row we put our money on red but it kept coming up black until we walked away broke. Black came up 13 times in a row. The dealer said she had never seen that before. Yeah right. I bet the guys watching on the CCTV were pissing themselves laughing at us. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

Mad Mike wrote:
    I beg to differ NoelRock If you produced a coin and flipped it 40 times and it turned up heads every time I think that would be a pretty strong argument for betting on heads don't you?

only if u believe that the coin has memory!!!

if so, how do u know that this coin hasn't been flipped thousands of times by a previous owner and that tails is ahead by several hundred tosses....and that heads is only now catching up !!

on a 'fair' coin each throw is a 50/50 chance! regardless of previous results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Brother of a friend of mine won on Saturday with 12 others they each got 130k wouldnt say no to that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

scargill wrote:
    only if u believe that the coin has memory!!!

if so, how do u know that this coin hasn't been flipped thousands of times by a previous owner and that tails is ahead by several hundred tosses....and that heads is only now catching up !!

on a 'fair' coin each throw is a 50/50 chance! regardless of previous results
    All the coin flipping reminds me of statistics questions in Leaving Cert Maths - all about biased coins :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

is_that_so wrote:

Although a day or two late... I was just about to post that!...

In short pick 38 if you're doing the UK Lotto.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Clearly rigged; I haven't won yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

As the balls are all stacked in order and dropped in the same pattern every draw I wonder would it be possilbe for a pattern to be created that would favour certain numbers based on the order in which they drop? i.e. could an ordered balls initial trajectory influence it's chances of being drawn from an apparently random draw.

Looking through the draw statistics there are weeks of draws were similar numbers come up regularly, all of a sudden these patterns change. It would be interesting to know if they change the balls used in the draw as it could possibly suggest bias with certain balls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

the only way the lotto is "rigged" is the vast amouNts of cash paid to those who work for it & some of the "deserving" benefactors.
    The statistics speak for themselves you have a better chance of pulling off a bankraid & getting away scott free with a million than you do of winning.
    incedentally i heard a rumour that ronan collins gets a grand everytime he rattles his balls on TV,nice work...
    In reality the lottery is a voluntary tax for people who cant do basic maths.

Sarn wrote:
    It would be interesting to know if they change the balls used in the draw as it could possibly suggest bias with certain balls.
    They have a number of different sets of balls/machines in the studio and they pick one set at random under scrutiny of the independent adjudicator ('Evening Terence, Evening Ronan') before the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

How do you know Terence and Ronan aren't on the take?

Hobbes wrote:
    How do you know Terence and Ronan aren't on the take?
    Terence isn't a one-man band. He has a team of bean-counters from KPMG with him. Are they all on the take? Plus the cameramen & the studio staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I remember my friends and I tried to work out some sort of math to maximise your potential to win big in a lottery, and we decided that

even though all combinations have an equal chance coming up
    all combinations do not have an equal chance of being picked
    thus the only way to maximise your lottery winning potential is to pick 6 numbers that you're as sure as you can be won't be picked by anyone else.

Everytually we decided on 22,23,24,25,26,28

The reason we didn't pick 27 is because there is a chance that somebody else had this idea, so we are trying to counter them :)

• Advertisement

Well it didn't work tonight, because there was no winner. Neither of the Plus draws were won either, but 27 did come up in the Plus 2 draw. I didn't win anything tonight myself. They are paying €100 for 4 numbers on Saturday night. That would be nice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It's odd... I got dragged into being a Independant Witness for the english lotto tonight. I can't see how you'd rig it.... and from that I don't know how you'd rig the irish Lotto.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

eirebhoy wrote:
    BTW, the doubles I'll be putting on are:
    40 - 18: €5
    40 - 16: €5
    18 - 16: €5
    16 came out on Saturday and 40 came out last night, how close to €250. :( Ah well, just goes to show that I was right, it was only a matter of time before the number 40 came out. :);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't know if it's the same for the Irish Lotto, but I heard in the states, they have three draws for most of their lotteries and they only show whichever draw has the smallest payout. Apparently this is the reason for the 15mins between the last accepted tickets in shops and the actual time of the draw. Of coarse this could just be a load of conspiracy BS! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=5866&category=Daily-Thu

it would seem that it was a quickpick line that won the lotto on saturday

jomanji wrote:
    I don't know if it's the same for the Irish Lotto, but I heard in the states, they have three draws for most of their lotteries and they only show whichever draw has the smallest payout. Apparently this is the reason for the 15mins between the last accepted tickets in shops and the actual time of the draw. Of coarse this could just be a load of conspiracy BS! ;)
    Do you really think that it would be possible to keep this secret, given the number of people that would have to be involved in the conspiracy from the Lotto & RTE etc? If this were the case, you'd have 'hidden camera' footage of the 3 draws being sold to the Sunday Indo within a month.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Your lack of imagination and an open mind is scarier then most of the ideas that come from conspiracy nuts.

Note to An Post - don’t put "every thing's ok because it's 'Lotto & RTE'" on charge of security. Please!

I had 4 numbers on the Lotto last night. All prizes were doubled, so I've won €86! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Kingsize wrote:

Quoted for truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Kingsize wrote:

well it could be that your just a tight bastard and never fancy a fling?

oooh i'm gonna get a bannin for this!
    But i said could so I'm not callin you anything... not just yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

no i dont think its rigged, u idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

It quite possibly may be rigged but it is in a good way, they make it a no winner jackpot if tey sell hardly any tickets, and try and roll it over a couple of times, and at the end of the day they donate a big amount to various charitys. so think of it as maybe getting a run for your money when donating to charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

no it not rigged. they donate a designated percentage to charity. y do u tinkj thay have them fags from KPMG each week!!! its not rigged. stop tryin tp pretend theres a conspiracy. just accept it. its exactly wat it sez on the tin.

Advertisement