Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimebag Darrell shot dead last night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Zoton

Doctor J wrote:
    I think the world of Metal will change forever. I can't recall an artist being shot on stage before. It has seriously huge implications for music in general. If a band are in mortal danger when they take the stage, then how many bands are going to want to tour the states? The traditional route for breaking into the states was relentless touring, but how many bands are going to want to do that. Darrel is, sadly, probably the first of many. Usually over there, once a line has been broken, several other wackos follow the lead (say all the school shootings for example).
    I hadn't considered that. This will have major repercussions for live gigs and tours. And i wonder how he got the gun into the gig in the first place. I guess they just didn't have the same kind of stringent security as say 'the point' since it was a small venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Doctor J wrote:
    There's an update, neither Vinne nor Pat were killed

it's been reported on several sites that either Pat or Bobzilla are dead, Vinnie is ok though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Ren0

We should all pay respect to "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. R.I.P

He will be greatly missed.

And also pay respect to the others who lost their lives in this incident.

As for you Irish Rover, u r as bad as the bastard who shot him. Post your home address and we'll find out who the big man is.

You're a complete excuse for a human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭spahndirge

There was no security checks at the concert, as for what will happen to rock concerts; the same as they did after the Columbine massacre, enforce metal detectors and searches at every concert.

MTV just updated again....

MTV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Doctor J wrote:
    I can't recall an artist being shot on stage before.

That's the thing - the more i think about it the more i realize the wider implications of this - and i cant get over how f***ed up this is - Dimebag on stage, doing what he does best, getting shot several times at point blank range. It's traumatizing when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

Just found out now. Can't believe it.

R.I.P. Dimebag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

/speechless :(

i'm actually lost for words.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭spahndirge

Off Topic,

Sorry to bring this here, but since Irish Rover is probably watching this topic, I'd like to ask him to give me a call.

He's threatened me, and also told me he has my number and now blocked PM's from me. Irish Rover, ring me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

think of what this will do to gigs in future
    security issues and so forth , will bands have to wear bullet proof vests? come on this is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

RIP Dimebag :(

There could be quite a supergroup jamming upstairs:

Vocals: Bon Scott
    Drums: Keith Moon
    Bass: Phil Lynott
    Guitar: Dimebag

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The promoters for this gig are probably going to be sued, as will the venue, probably. All this is going to have a knock on effect over there of gigs with increased security. Are we looking at gigs with armed security? Metal detectors? This is a ****ing disaster for live music and especially live Rock, Punk and Metal, the music forms which the right wing cretins (who ironically are usually the ones who resist gun control) tend to blame for all of society's ills.

And Metal has lost a truly gifted musician. Vinnie Paul has lost his brother. Those poor guys who went to the gig to rock out, their poor families. My heart goes out to them all.

panteraexclusive6.gif

spahndirge wrote:
    Off Topic,

Sorry to bring this here, but since Irish Rover is probably watching this topic, I'd like to ask him to give me a call.

He's threatened me, and also told me he has my number and now blocked PM's from me. Irish Rover, ring me.

Get over it. He's banned from the forum now, so he can't read this thread. Enough of the bull****.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Does anyone find it ironic that the shooting happened on the anniversary of John Lennon's death?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bumblebeemouth

RIP Dimebag, its sickening to think how ****ed up some people can be

will bands have to wear bullet proof vests?

It wont be that drastic but security will get tighter.
    To me, the point is that a line has been crossed and there's no going back now. It's like music/live music had a particular innocence about it which has now been taken away.

And i was so looking forward to seeing Damageplan play here since i never saw Pantera live - if you recall, several months ago DP were scheduled to play here in December @ Temple Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

From blabbermouth.net

Columbus police department spokeswoman Sherry Mercurio identified three of the victims of Wednesday's (Dec. 8) shooting at a Columbus nightclub as "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, guitarist with the heavy metal rock band DAMAGEPLAN, and two other men, Nathan Bray and Erin Halk (both of them said to be audience members), according to the Associated Press.

i didnt know about the john lennon thing.....

but yeah like i said earlier , i agree with the docs statement, this is gonna **** up the gigging experience from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭A$$A$$IN

FFs this is the most f*cked up bull**** why kill a musician and off all of them Dimebag serious guitar player and a true legend. Stupid stupid americans

R.I.P. Dimebag

be warned, some fúcker is going around posting as the VP from Elecktra saying it was a publicity stunt

who the hell would do that!?

• Advertisement

who the hell would do that!?

some sick little shít

According to Associated Press:

"Police spokeswoman Sherry Mercurio identified three of the victims of Wednesday's shooting as Abbott, who played for the band Damageplan, and two other men, Nathan Bray and Erin Halk.

She identified the gunman as Nathan Gale, 25, of the Marysville area northwest of Columbus. She said there was no information on a motive or if he had any connection to the band. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Oh man. I was really hoping this would be a hoax when I saw the topic.
    That's really terrible...RIP Dimebag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

News report from NBC

Posted on Blabbermouth:

Police released the name of the gunman who allegedly went on a shooting rampage at a Columbus nightclub Wednesday night, killing four people — including DAMAGAEPLAN guitarist Dimebag Darrel — before a police officer shot him dead.

Nathan Gale, 25, of Marysville, reportedly jumped onto a concert stage and opened fire, NBC 4 reported.

The shooting took place shortly after 10 p.m. at Alrosa Villa, located at 5055 Sinclair Rd.

A crowd of about 250 people was inside for a concert by DAMAGEPLAN, a heavy metal band. Two former members of the band PANTERA formed the group.

The band took the stage shortly after 10 p.m., and minutes later, a man, who was wearing a hockey jersey and hooded sweatshirt, began firing at point-blank range at least four times at guitarist Dimebag Darrell, NBC 4's Kyle Anderson reported.

Darrell Abbott, who was known as "Dimebag Darrell", was pronounced dead at the scene, NBC 4's Kyle Anderson reported. Police released the names of two others who died. They were Nathan Bray and Erin Halk, both audience members.

"(The gunman) came on stage, from the back, like he knew what he was doing and went straight to Dimebag Darrell immediately," an unidentified witness said."

Gale reportedly shot and killed another member of the band before firing shots into the crowd.

Columbus police were flooded with 911 calls from concertgoers right after the shooting. Some witnesses said Gale took a person hostage. Minutes later, a Columbus police Officer James D. Niggemeyer entered the nightclub and shot and killed Gale, police said.

Police did not identify the other person who died at the scene.

Authorities spent hours questioning audience members.

As calls for help came in, dozens of police and EMS crews were dispatched to the scene.

Emergency room workers at Riverside Methodist Hospital were told to watch out for people who would ask for care on Thursday. Police said that about 100 people left the Alrosa Villa before officers got the scene under control.

Two people who were shot were transported by ambulance to Riverside. Their names were not released and hospital officials would not comment about their conditions.

Columbus police and firefighters set up a triage outside the nightclub to treat anyone with minor injuries, NBC 4 reported.

Many people who were injured during the shooting spree and in the chaos that followed were put on buses and treated for injuries at the scene, NBC 4 reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Its been reported on various websites that Nathan Gayle shouted "you broke up Pantera, you ruined my ****ing life!" before shooting Dimebag.

R.I.P.

horse**** if this is over pantera
    all i can say is
    i dont care if im being PC or racist or whatever

but

****ING AMERICANS

theyre all mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Jamey wrote:
    Its been reported on various websites that Nathan Gayle shouted "you broke up Pantera, you ruined my ****ing life!" before shooting Dimebag.

R.I.P.

IF that's why he shot Dime, he shot the wrong dude!!! That's a horrible thing to say I know, but it's true!!!!

::: ven0mous :::

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

holy shít.. the man had some amazing talent.. RIP

dimebag77.jpg

• Advertisement

From CNN

'Mull did not identify the other fatality. Abbott was the only band member confirmed dead "at this point," he said.'

:(

Advertisement