Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Licences.

Options
  • 09-12-2004 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Particularly with recent changes, it seems to me that July 1st is becoming an expensive date for many shooters.

Isn't it surely time at the very least that a "second/subsequent" discounted licence fee was introduced for rifles/pistols as well as for shotguns?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nope, it's time we switched to an FAC-style system with one licence per person! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

one licence per person!

Exactly...!

Per person...not per gun.!
    Also applies to the "Safe and Sane Shooter" school of thought ,
    If your sane enough for one type of firearm ..your sane enough for any.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭allnight_2002

jaycee wrote:
    Exactly...!

Per person...not per gun.!
    Also applies to the "Safe and Sane Shooter" school of thought ,
    If your sane enough for one type of firearm ..your sane enough for any.

Quite right
    Why can you get one type of gun and not another ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

great idea,
    Except I can see this greedy Gubnit charging somthing like 300 euros for the permit and then proably 50 euros per added on gun every two years for "processing".They will pull the same stunt like the VRT .Dont expect any good deal here in ripoff Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Ladies and Gents, I will happilly pay 38 euros for every pistol / rifle that I can put on a cert, the cost to the State in reverting to a single document system would I feel far outweight the benfit, and as many of us know the purpose of the existing system is to control the number of firearms and not the sportsperson,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

les45 wrote:
    Ladies and Gents, I will happilly pay 38 euros for every pistol / rifle that I can put on a cert, the cost to the State in reverting to a single document system would I feel far outweight the benfit, and as many of us know the purpose of the existing system is to control the number of firearms and not the sportsperson,

The FAC system would not by definition change that. You can still refuse an additional firearm if you are so inclined. The fact that subsequent shotguns are charged at a lesser rate than the initial one reinforces the point that it's not just about money.

The current system is open to wholesale abuse if one was so inclined. No identification of the holder other than name and address is just one of these. A three year cert would cut down on the paperwork, as well as running it triannually from the date of issue. The current 31st July system puts a huge strain on Garda resources at that time, whereas an FAC issuing office manned by civvies and overseen by a Super would be far more efficient. The local Supermarket would then only be involved in checking new applicants, or possibly amendments.

In addition the current system does not prevent someone who moves house getting a new firearms certificate from the Supermarket of their new abode whilst maintaining previous ones from their old habitat. I know 'cos I was that soldier. The Pulse system should by rights pick this up, but it appears not to... A single FAC would close that one down immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

[subsequent shotguns are charged at a lesser rate than the initial one reinforces the point that it's not just about money.

How do you get a subsequent?All mine are individual,despite the oppurtunity to have subsequent lics?And whats the story of sub rifles?I, for one have never heard of that occuring.

The current system is open to wholesale abuse if one was so inclined. No identification of the holder other than name and address is just one of these.

Your mugshot on the FAC would be somwhat a solution?SOP in the EU and USA??

A three year cert would cut down on the paperwork, as well as running it triannually from the date of issue. The current 31st July system puts a huge strain on Garda resources at that time, whereas an FAC issuing office manned by civvies and overseen by a Super would be far more efficient.

The local Supermarket
    Que??Who dat?Oh Superintendant!!!

In addition the current system does not prevent someone who moves house getting a new firearms certificate from the Supermarket of their new abode whilst maintaining previous ones from their old habitat. I know 'cos I was that soldier. The Pulse system should by rights pick this up, but it appears not to... A single FAC would close that one down immediately

Agree with you on the PULSE system.But that is a political,money problem you have there.

I am not sure, but is there not a section on the Firearms Application Form requiring the applicant to fill in details of all other Firearms held!!!!!!

Application Form

Not quite les, there's a field for the cert numbers of other firearms certs you may have, but nothing asking for the details of the firearms themselves.

Thank you for the clarification Sparks,my point is if you make a application and for some reason you forget to include a cert no!! is the application invalid!! and the " you" pertains to any individual,

• Advertisement

I think the term would be more "incomplete" than "invalid" les, and there would be a case there to have the application audited, but in practise it would rarely happen. It is another good reason to switch to an FAC system though.

Advertisement