Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with feeding puppies?

• 09-12-2004 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Just a quick question. I have an alsation bitch and five puppies. The puppies are 4 weeks old this Saturday, so I started feeding them yesterday. The trouble is, do I let the bitch in when im feeding them or lock her out. I tried both last night but when I let her in she just took over the kennel and tried to eat the puppies food. When I locked her out she whinged and got a little bit agitated. She's not the most placid dog and im afraid she'll snap at the puppies while they are feeding (as she got quite jealous of the food last night). I feed her separately anyway. Can anyone help me here. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

It's best to keep the mother out when your feeding the puppies. As you found out most mothers will try to take over the food for themselves and not give the puppies a chance to eat. It's uncommon that she would snap at her puppies but she most likely would push them aside.

Are you feeding the wet or soaked dog food? That is the easiest for them to eat at this age. As with all babies they will get it all over themselves and everything else until they get the hang of eating. Their alot of fun to watch when they first start eating "real" food ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

I started off giving them watered down milupa and welpi and im gradually thickening it. In a couple of days I hope to be giving them soaked puppy nuts. What do you think? Im sooo new to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

Sounds like your doing great with them! When you switch them over to the puppy nuts you might mix the two together for a few days that way it doesn't upset thier little systems to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Feed the mother separately (dogs are scavengers so there is no use in just feeding her first, she'll just eat it all) at the same time.

I presume you are heating the malupa somewhat?

We had some Jack Russels as a kid. The puppies had a Volkswagon Bettle hub cap as a shared dinner bowl. Stomachs full and bowl licked clean, they would then climb into the bowl and go to sleep in a ball of fluffiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

Yep Im heating the milupa. Not Hot or Cold, just warmish. I have been giving them milupa for 2/3 days now so tonight im gonna crush some puppy nuts in a blender, mix in a little milupa, add some boiled/cooled water and see how they take to it. While im here i though i'd ask: Is there any organisations that i can give a puppy or two to. Like guide dogs for the blind or other organisations. Or do the puppies have to be from certain breeders. Im not looking for money for them, I just wanna make sure they go to good homes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement