Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Would You Do??

• 09-12-2004 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Im finished in my job tomorrow,the xmas party is on the 18th and people keep asking me to go but im not sure as i might feel a bit awkward although it is a free nite,and i do get on with most people in the office but it would just feel that little bit awkward being there and not being with the company anymore..what would people do in my situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

They go, unless they've left on bad terms with people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Go and celebrate the fact that it's the last time you'll be in that social setting with these people.

If you like them then you may aswell celebrate the fact that you're leaving aswell as Christmas.

Plus they might all get you drink...

+ There's no chance of having to work with them if you get up to any... office party shenanigans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Have you been asked to go? Was it just a general invite? I think you should go as you have been working up until one week before and you have just as much right as anyone else to be there.

Assuming you left of your own accord that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Go get absolutly ripped and tell everyone exactly what you think of them. Its like therapy

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Go. Companies are scum, so you may as well get something off of them. Lemons anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

i'm in a similar situation...i'm moving jobs as well..the current place is cool about me going to the xmas do...but the new place has invited me to their bash a week later...and its in the same restuarant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Why are you leaving the job? Were you sacked, did you resign, or have you just come to the end of your contract?
    If you have come to the end of your contract, then go to the party - it'll give you a chance to say a few words to the bosses and the like. Don't talk about work just general small talk gab.
    If you've resigned, then go.
    If you were sacked, then don't go unless you want to get drunk and abusive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

go, drink for free all night and have one of the best sessions ever!!

Wolf wrote:
    Go get absolutly ripped and tell everyone exactly what you think of them. Its like therapy
    ...and the gauranteed response to this is the "you never work in this town again BOY".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

david brent did it rather well i thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Basically my contract is up and i finish tomorrow,i think i will actually go along later on in the nite,dunno wanan go to the dinner ill just go for the beer..cheers for the advice folks....... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

and people keep asking me to go

Who are these "people". if they are at your level or below it ignore them ,if they are a level above you ie your line manager/supervisor/boss, then go and have a good time, be nice you never know you may wish to return one day

go for the dinner aswell your going to need a bit of soakage for all that free drink!!! :)

jonny68 wrote:
    Basically my contract is up and i finish tomorrow,i think i will actually go along later on in the nite,dunno wanan go to the dinner ill just go for the beer..cheers for the advice folks....... ;)
    Like what Wooosie says, go to the din-dins as well. Soakage and all that. And you'll never know when the dinner will finish up.

And, there's nothing worse than arriving at a party stone cold sober when everyone else will be off-their-heads!

yeah and then you start playing catch up and getting more drunk cos your drinking on an empty stomach!!! and then everyone laughs at you cos you are falling all over the place!!! happened to me one year at our staff party!!! :) it was a great night from what i was told!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I left my last job at the in november 2001 and came back for the christmas dinner, I even brought my girlfriend. And they'd also had a dinner for me leaving as well.

If you've been working your ass off for a company all year, you really should have no problem going to the christmas party, even if you have just stopped working there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭shellspeare

If it's free, you like the people and we invited, get ya sen off lad xx :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

jonny68 wrote:

I was in this exact situation myself before but I had left the job months before hand and they still invited me. I skipped the dinner and arrived later on in the evening for the free booze with my sister.
    I had always gotten on well with everyone and it was nice to have one last night out with everyone.

G'WAN! You know you really want to do it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Would a bear S'hite in the woods....?

Would a dog eat meat on Good Friday...?

Would a cat drink milk..?

ah you get the idea.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Take anything you can get for nothing, except bull**** and a beating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We used to invite everyone who had worked in the office during the year to the end of year party.

Partners every second year.

Advertisement