Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non EU Parent status

Options
  • 09-12-2004 3:00pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭

[not sure if this is the correct board - mods feel free to shove it elsewhere]

I know someone who is not an EU citizen. They came to Ireland under a student visa from Asia in July 2002. They married in their home country in Oct 2003 and their wife is now here also on a student visa, His student visa was last renewed for 1 year in July 2004 whilst hers was given 1 year also in July).
    In October this year they had a kid here who now has an Irish birth cert. This child is an Irish citizen according to it.
    What is the status of the parents, i.e. can they now apply for full Irish working visas (instead of the 20 hours of work per week permitted by the student visa) or can they apply for Irish citizenship?
    Is there any good solicitors in the Dublin area that i could refer them to if necessary?
    Cheers
    K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭talos

I don't think their child is Irish citizen (is their irish passport for this child?), because in september (I think) they stoped giving passports for children born to non-nationals.

I'm affraid at the moment their is no difference between them and somebody without irish born child. As a result there is no special case for them over other people (regarding visa etc.) :(

about solicitors you can try those http://www.businessworld.ie/coys/details.htm?u=2832

P.S.
    always consult solicitor :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

If they came to learn english and 'seem' not to have so done then they had better be careful.

M

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thanks talos. Kid has full Irish passport somehow. I was surprised myself when I heard. I think the parents may be able to avail of the new visa thingy Herr Flik announced the other day - will look into it.
    Muck - they didn't come to learn English but some other subject and to my knowledge they are abiding by the rules of their visas.

Advertisement