Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my PC

Options
  • 09-12-2004 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

im thinking of upgrading my pc, i.e getting an AMD motherboard and an athlon processor and maybe 512ddr
    my question is how much dou you think id get these components for in a shop in ireland
    p.s i dont have a creit card

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The answer is don't buy in a shop in Ireland. Like everything in this country you will get ripped off. Buy from Jes

You don't need a credit card. It's done by bank transfer.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

BloodBath wrote:
    The answer is don't buy in a shop in Ireland. Like everything in this country you will get ripped off. Buy from Jes

You don't need a credit card. It's done by bank transfer.

BloodBath
    How can u pay jes by bank transfer?? the only options you have are money order and paypal with a credit card.

Money order is a bank transfer.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

how long will it take if i send a postal order to jes, i.e how long before the components are delived to my door

1 week for the money to clear, another week for delivery.

BloodBath

• Advertisement

are they a good company to deal with,have you or any one else ever had any problems with them?

I've ordered a couple of times with no trouble. Most people have had no trouble. The only problem is they use gls to deliver which a lot of people have had trouble with. Basically if your not in an easy area to find leave them your number and tell them to ring you.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

kinkstr wrote:
    are they a good company to deal with,have you or any one else ever had any problems with them?
    I did.
    Mobo for my brother went faulty after about 2 weeks of use, about a month after building the system (he was in hospital after it got build).
    Rma'd it back to them, took a good month for it to come back to him then.
    Apparently thats normal, they send it to manufacturer for repair i have been told. Week later mobo died again, he never bother rma-ing it back and got a new mobo now working about 2 months no problems (wasnt bought with jes).
    I had a sapphire 9800pro i got of jes, died after about 2 months.
    Send it back to get replaced, a month later i get an e-mail (in german as usual) do i want a refund? Could i not have got that a month ago???
    On the plus side the 9800pro is now more expensive than when i got it so mo money :D
    Nothing else from a full pc has broke, yet.
    Its up to you if you want to buy there, i know i wont, i just hope you dont get any part failing on you but whats the odds of that happening?

Jozi

You seem to have a lot of components fail on you. Your x800pro is gone as well. You must be one of the unlucky people who soak up all the bad luck for the rest of us.

I built a full system with all parts from jes a year ago. Not one has failed yet. A part failing is the manufacturers problem, not the supplier, unless it's damaged by the supplier which is rare.

BloodBath

BloodBath wrote:
    Money order is a bank transfer.

BloodBath
    Bank transfer (bank account to bank account = wire transfer, money order is money order, (u have to send it in d post).

• Advertisement

jozi wrote:
    I did.
    Mobo for my brother went faulty after about 2 weeks of use, about a month after building the system (he was in hospital after it got build).
    Rma'd it back to them, took a good month for it to come back to him then.
    Apparently thats normal, they send it to manufacturer for repair i have been told. Week later mobo died again, he never bother rma-ing it back and got a new mobo now working about 2 months no problems (wasnt bought with jes).
    I had a sapphire 9800pro i got of jes, died after about 2 months.
    Send it back to get replaced, a month later i get an e-mail (in german as usual) do i want a refund? Could i not have got that a month ago???
    On the plus side the 9800pro is now more expensive than when i got it so mo money :D
    Nothing else from a full pc has broke, yet.
    Its up to you if you want to buy there, i know i wont, i just hope you dont get any part failing on you but whats the odds of that happening?

Jozi

What kind of motherboard was it Jozi?

Bloodbath: never had a x800 (wish i did) but never mind doesnt matter.

Guess someone has to get al the bad luck :(

The board was a abit nf7-s2g if i remember right, he's got a abit an7 now working as it should.

I'm pretty sure the failing of components has nothing to do with jes, just a pity they are slow with the whole RMA service.

Jozi

Bank transfer (bank account to bank account = wire transfer, money order is money order, (u have to send it in d post).

Well it is a wire transfer and it's called a money order on their site.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

one time.. my friend placed an order with Jes and paid by money order... as far as i remember it took two weeks to get the order despatched... not Jes's fault but AIB "misplaced" his money order and didn't do anything until he check the bank... my advice always follow up with your banker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I would check out komplett's prices against jes before placing any orders.
    I was pricing some processors and found that komplett were cheaper on some things....
    They use GLS for logistics aswell though!

Funny I never had a problem with GLS, used to deliver it to me even if i was in work and leave it at a shop where i could pick it up, i thought they did a great service, just my experience though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

My experience is that all RMA from hardware websites are woeful and that most couriers are dire. Its better to get it delivered to a work address for some reason.

Parts fail. If a lot of parts fail, perhaps you are getting surges or spikes in your AC supply or you didn't take precautions with static etc when you installed the parts. Hardly the suppliers fault.

My experience is that all RMA from hardware websites are woeful and that most couriers are dire. Its better to get it delivered to a work address for some reason.

Parts fail. If a lot of parts fail, perhaps you are getting surges or spikes in your AC supply or you didn't take precautions with static etc when you installed the parts. Hardly the suppliers fault.

Its a possibility alright but the 9800 i had for 2 months, i had a gf4 4200ti for over a year and its been in several mobo's and and still going strong. I blame the manufacturer, just a shame rma's take so long. Will remember to use companies name next time.......

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

:) Kinkstr

Try www.lowestonweb.com in the Uk,the sister component company of Evesham computers.
    They stock all the latest stuff and do some excellent m/board,cpu,memory bundles.
    Just give them a ring.

Aersat

this is going to make me sound a little bit dim but how does the bank transfer work,what i mean is after i got to the website and pick what i want,what information should i give on the bank transfer, order number or whatever,im having trouble getting accessing the site,and if anyone has bought stuff from jes before could you explain to me how the bank transfer thing works
    cheers

• Advertisement

Place your order. At the end write down the swiftcode, the iban code, their bank address and the total to be paid to Jes.

Go to the bank, I can't remember the form but if you tell the bank clerk what your doing they will know what it is and fill it out for you. Give them the details you wrote down and the money. They will do it all for you.

BloodBath

cheers blood your a gent

No problem.

BloodBath

Advertisement