Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

REVERSE Sexism in ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

like billy connolly said

a man can walk into a shop and know what hes getting and walk past anything on sale and not blink, head straight to the section and buy what he came for.

a woman walks in, on her way stops to buy 50 different items she never intended to buy.........

so the ads are aimed at women because they buy anything and everything or whatever looks "nice" whereas us lads only buy what we need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Its put in ads because it appeals to women. And as women buy most things, they are the ones who are targeted for advertising.

One girl I used to know used to see them, laugh and say ,"men are so stupid"
    I'd just reply by telling her to **** off and buy the washing up liquid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

jor el wrote:
    Why can't there be naked women in ads here?
    keep really really quiet and give it time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Gurgle wrote:
    keep really really quiet and give it time

Nell McCafferty has dialled 99 and has her finger on the other 9....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

overdriver wrote:
    Sexism isn't ok when women do it... Have you seen the little bits before Cornation Street where the woman won't share her chocolate with her boyfriend and is teasing him with it, then snatching them away? Wonder how that'd go down if the shoe were on the other foot??

First of all,
    Coronation street == aimed at women
    Chocolate == aimed at women (trust me on this)

Also is the caption "Chocolate's only for women coz men are inferior?"
    Is the fact there's a woman and a man on the ad even relevant? Could just be two people, and they happen to be female and male.

Anyway....
    Aaawwwwww are the poor little boys being picked on in the tv ads...?
    aaaaaawwwwwww boo hoo oh no what EVER will they do.

Not sayin sexism is right or justified but I think if guys kick up over somethin like that then god help us all. It'll be reverse racism next...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Anyway....

Not sayin sexism is right or justified but I think if guys kick up over somethin like that then god help us all. It'll be reverse racism next...
    Whats good for the goose should be good for the gander.

People aren't upset because men are made out to be stupid - we all know men are far more intellegent than women - people are upset because, if the adds made women out to be stupid, they'd get a kick in the ass.

...but don't you worry your pretty little head about it - us men will take care of the problem. You just run along and worry about the next knitting pattern thats going to be released - or whatever it is you do when you're not cooking.

Zulu wrote:
    ...but don't you worry your pretty little head about it - us men will take care of the problem.
    :D
    Would you ever say that out loud, in the company of women ?

Gurgle wrote:
    :D
    Would you ever say that out loud, in the company of women ?

:D I have done on many occasions - and will continue to do so.

That being said, I say it with such a cheezy smile that noone could possiable take me serious. (Hence I'm alive writing this! ;) )

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Zulu wrote:
    ...but don't you worry your pretty little head about it - us men will take care of the problem. You just run along and worry about the next knitting pattern thats going to be released - or whatever it is you do when you're not cooking.
    LOL. *throws apples your way* Very good indeed biggrin.gif

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote:
    Whats good for the goose should be good for the gander.

People aren't upset because men are made out to be stupid - we all know men are far more intellegent than women - people are upset because, if the adds made women out to be stupid, they'd get a kick in the ass.

Absolutely right and hilarious! First post I've read in a long while which made me laugh out loud! Its about EQUALITY, what's ok for you should be ok for us. That's just the type of attitude that's designed to make sure men don't upset the new status quo, make out that iit's nothing, when we ALL know what a big deal it would be if tha ads were making women out to be inferior.

See, that's what you're up against - " awww poor likkel boys". Try adopting that attitude next time some woman is bitching about inequality.

Tell me, anybody know anything about paternity leave???? No, didn't think so.

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    First of all,

Ok, so it's aimed at women. That make it ok to be sexist, blatantly putting down half the world? Sorry, but that's a specious argument.

Does it have to be? Is the intent not clear enough for you? Perhaps you NEED it spelt out for you, do you?

Is the fact there's a woman and a man on the ad even relevant? Could just be two people, and they happen to be female and male.

Yeah, and one of them is treating the other in a dismissive , smug way. That one happens to be female, but it's not real life. Some producer had to decide to play it that way to appeal to a fantasy that women are superior to men.

Anyway....

Now THERE'S an intelligent, well worded argument. NEXT!!!

Not sayin sexism is right or justified but I think if guys kick up over somethin like that then god help us all. It'll be reverse racism next...[/

Like THAT doesn't happen. Sometimes the worst thing you can be is a white male.But thats another thread...And as for "kicking up over somethin like that", believe me, women have kicked up over much smaller - "chairperson" instead of "chairman" etc etc.

QUOTE]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Do people watch ads? Why? Can't get my head around why you would sit there and watch actors hired to lie to you about crap, and somehow think it was important enough to make you spend money on rubbitch.

I have crappy NTL digital. Channels take time to load/descramble. Flicking through ad breaks isn't always a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Doesn't Reverse sexism mean being really nice to members of the opposite sex and treating them better.

Doesn't Reverse sexism mean being really nice to members of the opposite sex and treating them better.
    No, that would be non-sexism.

I'd love to know what the reverse of mysoginy was though...

• Advertisement

militant femlesbians

Zulu wrote:
    militant femlesbians
    I think I saw that movie.

nell McCafferty again..

overdriver wrote:
    nell McCafferty again..
    Is she some kind of psycho-feminist or something ?
    (edit - Google says yes )

Absolute seething man-hater. Looks like a Christian Brother.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

overdriver wrote:
    I'd love to know what the reverse of mysoginy was though...
    Misandry

Gurgle wrote:
    I think I saw that movie.
    Great movie.

...but I couldn't work out why all the girls called around to their friends houses to use their showers? ...around the same time as the cable guy/plumber/post mail/cop called by.... :confused:

Misandry
    Brilliant, thanks.

overdriver wrote:
    Nasty_Girl wrote:
    First of all,

Ok, so it's aimed at women. That make it ok to be sexist, blatantly putting down half the world? Sorry, but that's a specious argument.

Does it have to be? Is the intent not clear enough for you? Perhaps you NEED it spelt out for you, do you?

Yeah, and one of them is treating the other in a dismissive , smug way. That one happens to be female, but it's not real life. Some producer had to decide to play it that way to appeal to a fantasy that women are superior to men.

Anyway....

Now THERE'S an intelligent, well worded argument. NEXT!!!

Not sayin sexism is right or justified but I think if guys kick up over somethin like that then god help us all. It'll be reverse racism next...[/

Like THAT doesn't happen. Sometimes the worst thing you can be is a white male.But thats another thread...And as for "kicking up over somethin like that", believe me, women have kicked up over much smaller - "chairperson" instead of "chairman" etc etc.

QUOTE]

Learn how to use the quote thing.

It's not "putting down half the world" its a thick ad before a girly soap and gettin your knickers in a knot over it is just pathetic, severely. You're just being overly sensitive.
    Grow up.

PS: I've never heard a woman complain about the FLASH ads where the guy is seen to do the "woman's" job faster and better with half the work.

PPS. My arguements are a lot better than yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I also find it interesting that male bashing in ads has been described as reverse sexism as opposed to sexism. As already pointed out, this implies that only women can be affected by sexism and that when men are subject to unfair gender stereotyping a different term is used to describe it.

This is not surprising given the constant negative stereotyping of men in the media. When people are being constantly bombarded with the notion that men are useless incompetent slobs they will eventually start to believe it on some unconscious level and will cease to notice the unfair stereotypes. It then becomes a far bigger issue for society than "just a few stupid ads"

I've pointed this out a few times on the Humanities board and as expected received plenty of abuse from certain misandrists over there. It's the same old story - when men complain about stuff like this they're accused of being whiners and moaners and get told to "cop on" and "act like a man" etc.

On a related topic, what about the stats released by the CSO this week on gender equality in the workplace and education etc. Did anyone notice how most of the coverage of these stats in the media was from a feminist perspective. All the talk was about how stats show that women earn less than men despite being better educated. Yet there was very little mention of how men work on average 10 hours a week more than women and how maybe the reason women are better educated is because of an education system which may be more suited to girls than boys.

BrianD3

overdriver wrote:

Tell me, anybody know anything about paternity leave???? No, didn't think so.
    Men are entitled to some paternity leave depending on their job. The reason behind maternity leave is that women GIVE BIRTH. Do you know what that actually means? A baby COMES OUT of you and obviously a new mother will need time to get over the pain and stitiches and all the other lovely things that go with it. You wouldn't expect someone to go straight back to work after an operation now would you?
    When men start popping out babies they can have as much leave as women.
    Jesus you make it sound like its a free f*ckin holiday just for women.

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Learn how to use the quote thing.

It's not "putting down half the world" its a thick ad before a girly soap and gettin your knickers in a knot over it is just pathetic, severely. You're just being overly sensitive.
    Grow up.

PS: I've never heard a woman complain about the FLASH ads where the guy is seen to do the "woman's" job faster and better with half the work.

I know full well how to use the quote "thing". I felt it was more direct to tackle your - ahem!- "arguments" one by one. You should learn how to use the syntax and grammar thing : "...pathetic, severly".

It IS, however, pathetic to engage in a discussion merely by being bolshy and confrontational. The fact you find the Flash ad sexist is fair enough, but the other side of that is the impression that self-same ad gives is that the man in that ad allows his wife to wallow in a bath while he cleans the house to garner her favour. So you should complain about it.

Also, if you had bothered to read the rest of the thread, you would have seen that the Coronation Street vignette was only one example given of a widespread trend which is growing. The fact you feel the need to respond so aggressively and nastily shows you are threatened in some way by it's discussion.

in fact, your username alone would lend credence to an argument that you are a misandrist yourself, nastygirl, or that you are, indeed, a nasty girl.

"Arguments" has only one "e" in it, and stating that yours are "better" than mine without anything to back it up in the manner of a ten-year-old is childish and shows that, in fact, it is you who needs to grow up. I can only assume that you said it merely to annoy. Hard luck on that score.

As for Coronation Street being a " girly soap", I find it interesting that you think so. Many men, including myself, watch it on occassion. No shame there. It's by far the best of it's breed, combining humour with drama in a fashion other soaps have failed to emulate.

BrianD3 wrote:
    I also find it interesting that male bashing in ads has been described as reverse sexism as opposed to sexism. As already pointed out, this implies that only women can be affected by sexism and that when men are subject to unfair gender stereotyping a different term is used to describe it.

Sorry, Brian, that was my "bad", so to speak. It was intended to grab the attention of potential posters, without being absolutely grammatically or symantically correct. The correct term would probably be "sexism", as you point out.

BrianD3 wrote:
    This is not surprising given the constant negative stereotyping of men in the media. When people are being constantly bombarded with the notion that men are useless incompetent slobs they will eventually start to believe it on some unconscious level and will cease to notice the unfair stereotypes. It then becomes a far bigger issue for society than "just a few stupid ads"... ...I've pointed this out a few times on the Humanities board and as expected received plenty of abuse from certain misandrists over there. It's the same old story - when men complain about stuff like this they're accused of being whiners and moaners and get told to "cop on" and "act like a man" etc.
    I hear your pain - I was once foolish enough to try an suggest that very point - and received a torrent of abuse from the femnazi's. In hindsight though, I did find it hilarious how blatantly hypocritical the femnazi is. They tend to be they're own worst enemy when they start ranting!
    BrianD3 wrote:
    Yet there was very little mention of how men work on average 10 hours a week more than women
    I actually did take alot of interest in this. Men are, on average, working an extra day and a half per week. I was amazed this wasn't factored into the salary calculations!
    Nasty_Girl wrote:
    It's not "putting down half the world" its a thick ad before a girly soap and gettin your knickers in a knot over it is just pathetic, severely. You're just being overly sensitive. Grow up.
    Of course it isn't. Men don't count, and certainly shouldn't be sensitive - that's solely for children or little girls.
    Nasty_Girl wrote:
    ....awww isn't that cute

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Men are entitled to some paternity leave depending on their job. The reason behind maternity leave is that women GIVE BIRTH. Do you know what that actually means? A baby COMES OUT of you and obviously a new mother will need time to get over the pain and stitiches and all the other lovely things that go with it. You wouldn't expect someone to go straight back to work after an operation now would you?

The babies have to looked after, brainiac. And I was one of the guys who actually did it, and let my partner go back to work. Not everybody needs stitches, and therefore the time to recover from them. What other lovely things are you on about? When the pain is over, it's over, you don't need a year to "get over it". How many kids have you had, as a matter of interest, and how many stitches were required for each???

• Advertisement

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    The point of paternity leave is for a father to bond with his child; help relive/help his partner recover after a very traumatic event and generally strengthen the family unit.
    The point of maternity leave isn't solely for the mother to recover - but to bond with her new born child. You seem to have missed the most important factors here: the mother/father/child relationship.

....of course as a girl, that fact that you grasped some of the points is very good! Good girl. Now run along and don't be bothering the men while they talk "grown-up" talk.

Zulu wrote:
    Of course it isn't. Men don't count, and certainly shouldn't be sensitive - that's solely for children or little girls.

....awww isn't that cute

I'm not sayin that men aren't discriminated against I'm just sayin that I think there is an over reaction to this particular ad.

It's actually quite funny to read these posts.

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    I'm not sayin that men aren't discriminated against I'm just sayin that I think there is an over reaction to this particular ad.

Yes, again, we're discussing ads in general, not just that one in particular.

Nasty_Girl wrote:

I wouldn't say there's an over reaction - that would imply that it's uncalled for crazy talk. I'd say that there's a interesting discussion exploring recient trends in advertising.

Actually - you'd be amased, your points are the funniest!

overdriver wrote:
    The babies have to looked after, brainiac. And I was one of the guys who actually did it, and let my partner go back to work. Not everybody needs stitches, and therefore the time to recover from them. What other lovely things are you on about? When the pain is over, it's over, you don't need a year to "get over it". How many kids have you had, as a matter of interest, and how many stitches were required for each???

Who the f*ck gets a year for maternity leave? My mother had three months with her last kid.
    You are such a whiny baby.

overdriver wrote:
    Yes, again, we're discussing ads in general, not just that one in particular.
    Then give more examples. My replies are to the one you quoted.

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Who the f*ck gets a year for maternity leave? My mother had three months with her last kid.
    ...and my father had 1 day.
    It took him about 24years to get over me! ;)

Nasty_Girl wrote:

Again you call names rather than make a point of any relevance. Re-read my post. I didn't SAY that the maternity leave was a year, I said that you didn't need a year to get over stitches. or three months, for that matter. If we're going too fast for you, we can slow down and use smaller words.

My da worked two jobs, (Actually so did me ma) and he managed to bond with us quite well.

• Advertisement

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    My da worked two jobs, (Actually so did me ma) and he managed to bond with us quite well.

Clearly he wasn't a " whiny baby" like me. I took care of my son in the day, and worked nights. Managed to fit the whining in on weekends.

Nasty_Girl wrote:

"If you become pregnant while in employment in Ireland, you are entitled to take maternity leave for a basic period of 18 weeks"

"
    Ireland is right down the bottom of the European league table of family-friendly nations however where paternity leave is concerned. There is currently no legal entitlement to Paternity Leave, paid or unpaid, in Ireland. "

From irishjobs.ie

QED

overdriver wrote:
    Again you call names rather than make a point of any relevance. Re-read my post. I didn't SAY that the maternity leave was a year, I said that you didn't need a year to get over stitches. or three months, for that matter. If we're going too fast for you, we can slow down and use smaller words.

Then WHY did you say "need a year"??
    And you're not much better for making points of relevence either. You need at least a month before the baby shoves it's way out, that's counted in maternity leave too, you should know that. My ma was standin all day for her job so understandably that'd be hard to do at 8months. Do men need a month or so before the baby's born?

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Then give more examples. My replies are to the one you quoted.

Then read the posts. There are several examples.

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Hyperbole : exaggeration for effect.

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Good for him. Wouldn't it have been better if he could have taken more time off? Do you not feel that it is important for a father to spend time with his children?

• Advertisement

overdriver wrote:
    Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Hyperbole : exaggeration for effect.

exaggeration?? you mean.... your point was exaggerated? So the rest of your points could be exaggerated too?

Zulu wrote:
    Good for him. Wouldn't it have been better if he could have taken more time off? Do you not feel that it is important for a father to spend time with his children?

Clearly not. Don't you know that men are only good for paying bills, not minding kids?

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    And you're not much better for making points of relevence either. You need at least a month before the baby shoves it's way out, that's counted in maternity leave too, you should know that. My ma was standin all day for her job so understandably that'd be hard to do at 8months. Do men need a month or so before the baby's born?
    Thats a moot point - and it's ot.
    Nobody is asking for paternity brfore the baby is born, but now that you mention it - it would be good to have time off just before the birth, to ensure you are there for your partner.

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    exaggeration?? you mean.... your point was exaggerated? So the rest of your points could be exaggerated too?

Not my point, the figure. You may pick out any of my points and I can assure you they're not exaggerated, given that it's the only one with a figure in that context. However, for you, this is actually a reasonable post. You didn't condescend or call names. Bravo!

overdriver wrote:
    Clearly not. Don't you know that men are only good for paying bills, not minding kids?
    Well, in fairness, all the baby lark is really just for the girls. I mean - why bother get involved. It's just as well I can't get pregnant, cause I don't want a baby!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement