Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac to PC networking

Options
  • 09-12-2004 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

I need some help if anybody can give me some?

I have a new mac laptop (running OS X) and desktop pc (XP) that i want to network (for file sharing and printer sharing).

I have a wireless adsl router with built in modem and firewall. (netgear) which configures the adsl connection. This is connected to the pc by ethernet and the mac wirelessly with the built in 802.11g card.

How can i configure both machines now so that i can use the printer connected to the desktop and transfer files?

Anybody able to talk me through this on messenger maybe??

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have a look at www.macwindows.com

File shareing between different versions of windows can be problematic because of incompatabilites esp. XP firewall

You could setup an FTP server on the windows box, more secure and easier to trouble shoot than standard smb shares.

Sharing printers - windows server has add ins for this - not sure about XP , in XP PRO add/remove programs , windows components, there should be an option for simple TCP/IP services and Unix services - no idea if will do what you need - no idea if you even get those options in XP Home. [ in windows lots of services require expensive OS upgrades to virtually identical versions that differ mainly by not having those features disabled, in debian it's APT-GET INSTALL & put the kettle on ]

Advertisement