Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hold 'Em only cash game tonight?

Options
  • 09-12-2004 4:41pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone for our weekly Hold'Em Only Cash Game tonight? Open to anyone with a 50 in their pocket and a dislike for cash!

I'll be along about 10... anyone else?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I might be there early for some SNG's and my usual mindfúck of the freeroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

I wasn't going to head in this evening but then Lafortezza promised me a pint. When I get to Larry's he's in th fitz, which meant I had to play poker. Oh well. 2 sit and gos left me with money to blow in the freeroll, but despite the fact that i didn't look at my cards for the last ten hands before the break (I let Oscar look at them for me), cost me nothing. Went out eleventh in a really really strange hand (in small print below for those who like reading boring things) and then went for a pint. Unfortunately the pubs were closed, so that means i have to play the cash game, which leads me to...

The Worst Cash Game of All Time...

Terrible players, slow players, clueless players, drunk players, Extremely slow players. So much money to be made at this table (and admittedly, I did finish with much more in my pocket than i started with), but the least enjoyable cash i think i've ever played in. In one half hour period I think we played seven hands, and despite the easy money at the table I just had to get up and leave, it was wrecking my head too much. I think I preferred this game when i was losing money to JP.

Hand I went out on in the freebie: blinds 1000-2000. 12 players left, 4 get tickets. The BB has 4,000, half of which is in the big blind. I have 8,500, chip leader has 22,000. I am under the gun with a pair of sevens. Thinking that this is a good time to take a chance against the big blind who can't possibly fold if i raise (he'll be getting 4.5 to 1 on his last 2,000), I move all-in. A mid position player with 12,000 chips, thinks, then calls. The chip leader then moves all-in, and the BB dutifully calls with his last 2,000. The mid-position caller, thinks briefly, then calls for his last 3,5000 [are you getting all this?].

Obviously I think "I have to be behind. No one is taking a risk here when we're so close to the money. All i have is a pair of sevens. there's a least a bigger pair, or 3 or more overcards. This has all gone horribly wrong." Then they turn over their hands: the MP-caller has ace six suited, the chips leader has ace ten offsuit, and the poor big blind has ten-six offuit. A-T, A-6, T-6, 7-7. Quite amazingly, I'm ahead. and not even marginally ahead, I'm about sixty percent favourite to win. There are about four outs in total to dog me. When the flop comes A-6-3 it's all over (interestingly, the ace six is about nine to one underdog to win this hand before the flop) but I must say that this was one of the craziest things I've seen that close to the tickets in a freeroll. END RANT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Marq wrote:
    The Worst Cash Game of All Time...
    Terrible players, slow players, clueless players, drunk players, Extremely slow players. So much money to be made at this table (and admittedly, I did finish with much more in my pocket than i started with), but the least enjoyable cash i think i've ever played in. In one half hour period I think we played seven hands, and despite the easy money at the table I just had to get up and leave, it was wrecking my head too much. I think I preferred this game when i was losing money to JP.
    Was it the 50 he/omaha or 50 he only? Who were the players and why was it so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Marq wrote:
    I think I preferred this game when i was losing money to JP.

Easy Money. Tis a pity I had to party last night. No cocktail fuelled poker for J.P. last night either due to stupid work.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Marq, couldnt agree more.

I got stuck between drunken guy (who stank and seemed to think I liked him, and when I stuck my earphones in to block him out, seemed to think he'd offended me and wanted to make it up to me), cocky yank and dumb "this game is poker right?" guy.

All night in the freeroll I had had utter muck cards, pre freeze out I got three hands worth playing, doubled through on two and dropped the third. the Additional 1500 brought me up to about 6000 and then I just sat there refusing to play 85o.

Big Dragon, you know that hand where yer man down the end said he was going to call my all in but didnt because he had some cunning tell on me? I had absolute garbage. Literally, I was playing the board. And then I had to sit there and nod sagely while he explained how close he'd been to calling me until he realised I'd given some tell away. I swear it took all my effort not to flip my cards over :)

Then, having been whittled and bored out of it, I got a seat in the Cash Game Of Death and immediately continued my 85o streak. Eventually I just wanted off the table so bad that when KTo popped into my hand I decided to throw 40 notes to the Gods and leave. Its a much better game when we all go there and play as a group. What about Tuesdays from now on? Then we could play the Omaha and then HEO cash game!

I'm never playing that Thursday freeroll again, its lunacy (plus my table was *hyper* annoying). The Sunday one is much better.

The SNG's are the best fun in there as you get to goof off and have a laugh and usually Luke isnt busy so the crack is good :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

DeVore wrote:
    Big Dragon, you know that hand where yer man down the end said he was going to call my all in but didnt because he had some cunning tell on me? I had absolute garbage. Literally, I was playing the board. And then I had to sit there and nod sagely while he explained how close he'd been to calling me until he realised I'd given some tell away. I swear it took all my effort not to flip my cards over :)

Dev

He did not see a tell. He said he saw something before the flop. No he did not. He called your 1K pre-flop raise before you had even counted out your chips. Then you went all in/raised(???) and he said he had seen a tell. He had nothing either after the flop. End of hand for him after you raise. He went out on the bubble btw. Lost all-in to A high going all-in with J10o. He was the A10 in Marq’s bit above.

BTW, the hand where I went over the top of you when the flop showed 10,9,x I had only got 89s and thought if you were going to raise I was going sh1t or bust. Only 2 crap moves all night and that was one (the other being Marq’s hand above.

DeVore wrote:
    I'm never playing that Thursday freeroll again, its lunacy (plus my table was *hyper* annoying). The Sunday one is much better.

It was a bit mad. Trip flop’s, quad 2’s, etc all over the place. I much prefer Saturday’s freeroll. The standard of play then is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

DeVore wrote:
    I just sat there refusing to play 85o.

Stop knocking the 85os, its a monster and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

Juan Pablo wrote:
    Stop knocking the 85os, its a monster and you know it.

*nods* that it is, not as big as 84c though. The cash game table last night was very different to usual with people just playing crazy. The standard was quite low and teh players quite annoying but was still kinda easy to take money off the table

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

glad I didn't come in last night in the end if it was as bad as you're saying. I enjoy the cash game alright when there's a good group as you're saying DeV. Drunken smelly guys aren't fun to play poker with, unless you're taking their money. Lots of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

Marq wrote:
    Hand I went out on in the freebie: blinds 1000-2000.... but I must say that this was one of the craziest things I've seen that close to the tickets in a freeroll. END RANT

strange hand, dunno what A6 was doing calling two all ins but it seems sometimes that to get tickets out of that game you need to get lucky with hands like A6

i thought it was going to be my night when my all in preflop with JJ surived 2 callers and an A high flop! but then yer man with AT above took most of my chips later when he went all in with bottom pair only to hit a runner runner flush :rolleyes: ..(some voodoo flops alright.. 66 vs AA.. :) )

• Advertisement

Ah Julius, that was you that raised with the Jacks and got two muppets to call with 9-9 and K-T to more than treble you through. I was the guy that passed the winning hand having raised with Ace-Jack then passing to your all in before the flop cos i figured i only had two or three outs (I can't believe those guys called without a decent pocket pair or an ace.

I was also the guy that cracked Tony Wynnes's aces with sixes. that was fúcking sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

you made a couple of good passes alright at the right times..nicely played

Incidentally sevens came back to haunt me in the cash game later. Some predictable fool raised from mid position and i called with sevens on the button. five callers in total and the flop came 9-8-5 two diamonds. the initial raiser bets 35 and i make it 75. some guy passes middle pair (had me beat at the time) and the fool calls and predictably shows over ace king offsuit. I make my straight on the turn, but he runner runners a flush with the king of diamonds. worst part was, he had no idea he had a flush, and sharon, who was dealing, didn't notice either. I had to point it out and watch as a 200 quid pot gets pushed to this idiot. Grr.

Advertisement