Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Initial PASS on line but now it FAILS

• 09-12-2004 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    My local exchange was bb enabled late october.
    I did the check on eircom site and my line passed the test.YIPEEE, I said.
    I ordered IOL BB on 5th November and never heard anything back. I checked with Esat last week and they said that there was a backlog of applicatnts.
    Using the Esat Bt online order status query tool I can see today that my order was rejected.
    I immediately checked if my line was failing the eircom test and it was showing as failed.

I rang esat and they told me the order had been rejected because of the incorrect eircom number had been placed on application(internal problem). She was going to put through the correct request immediately but it would take 3 weeks for Eircom to come back.
    Since the line is now showing as failed, does this mean that the order will be rejected anyway?
    I dont understand,I have done the eircom line test several times over the last 5 weeks and it has never once failed. Has anybody else come across this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 elcabron

Yes, my line test was fine for ages and I ordered Esat BB nearly 2 weeks ago.
    I checked my line on tuesday with the test on eirscum site and now it fails. Haven't had the order rejected yet but I have that kinda feeling.
    I suppose I will find out what the story is next week.
    Complete dung pile is what I think of the BB carry on.
    Reckon that eirscum tag the number as an esat request and fail it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

elcabron,
    sounds like you should know in the next 1-2 weeks.
    I'd appreciate if it you could update this post or pm me to let me know either way.At least it will give me a better idea of my own fate :confused:

Cheers
    JC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

elcabron wrote:
    Yes, my line test was fine for ages and I ordered Esat BB nearly 2 weeks ago.
    I checked my line on tuesday with the test on eirscum site and now it fails. Haven't had the order rejected yet but I have that kinda feeling.
    I suppose I will find out what the story is next week.
    Complete dung pile is what I think of the BB carry on.
    Reckon that eirscum tag the number as an esat request and fail it.

Have you added anything to your line lately like a cordless phone or that type of thing? Anything that might have changed it for their latest test?

dub45,
    Are you serious?
    I have two double adaptors on the line. One for Sky, one for PC and one for cordless phone.
    But they were all set up in October and I ordered BB on the 5th Nov with a positive test on the eircom site.
    Will it make any difference if I just plug the phone in on its own? How often are the lines tested?

JC

JackieChan wrote:
    dub45,
    Are you serious?
    I have two double adaptors on the line. One for Sky, one for PC and one for cordless phone.
    But they were all set up in October and I ordered BB on the 5th Nov with a positive test on the eircom site.
    Will it make any difference if I just plug the phone in on its own? How often are the lines tested?

JC

I am very serious JC the more stuff you have on your line the greater the chance of it failing the test and it is significant that your line failed after their set up in October.

I am not sure how often they actually test the lines I have seen various timings mentioned on here once a month, or once every two months. But if you are waiting for a connection and hoping for a positve test I would unplug all your extras unless for the times when you absolutely have to have them plugged in. I don't know (and I dont think it has ever been mentioned here come to think of it!) what time of day they do the tests so cant help you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

He is correct.
    Cordless phones and sky boxes can mess up the line test.
    Also they test them once a month so any attempt to get it checked after two weeks will reflect the previous answer.

Does anybody have an idea of the week/day of the month that these tests are done??

As I mentioned above in an earlier post there has never been mention on here of when they done and I would guess that they are not done on the same day every month! So on that basis plug out all your stuff! You can plug it all back in again when you get broadband!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Collina

For ages my line failed the Eircom line test, then it passed it, I ordered BB through Esat. Got it installed and working.

If I try the Eircom line test now, my BB enabled line fails their test. Go figure.

I tested my line again and it passes now!
    Last week it passed, Monday-Thurday it failed and now Friday it passes!

I think the cojunction of Mars and Saturn could have caused the failure.Fingers crossed that I get setup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Scenic911

Diabolus wrote:
    He is correct.
    Cordless phones and sky boxes can mess up the line test.
    Also they test them once a month so any attempt to get it checked after two weeks will reflect the previous answer.

Especially the sky box. A kind Eircom engineer (yep there one about) told me about this as I had issues with my line. Took off the sky phone line and Eircom guy tested my line manually and rang into the office to switch my line to enable. Thats how I got my order thru. Tested Neighbours around me for BB compatibilty and they all pass if they did not have a sky box plug into the phone socket.

Scenic

thanks scenic.
    I have now removed my sky box connection from the wall.Hopefully this will stop me getting another fail.
    Considering it changes from a PASS to a FAIl back to a PASS in the space of a week I wonder was there some other problem(internal Eircom problem).I dont think the lines are tested weekly, or could they be?

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 elcabron

Well, my Esat order has been rejected now.
    Confusing as to why the eirscum line test was fine for ages and then started failing once I had ordered from Esat.
    Esat said there was nothing they could do and that i should speak to eirscum.
    I phoned them this morning and requested that a techie checked the line for BB from the local exchange. Eirscum now have that request in the system and told me it can take a week or two for it to be done.
    I smell more manure here but will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

elcabron wrote:
    Well, my Esat order has been rejected now.
    Confusing as to why the eirscum line test was fine for ages and then started failing once I had ordered from Esat.
    Esat said there was nothing they could do and that i should speak to eirscum.
    I phoned them this morning and requested that a techie checked the line for BB from the local exchange. Eirscum now have that request in the system and told me it can take a week or two for it to be done.
    I smell more manure here but will have to wait and see.

You don't happen to have your calls\line rental with Esat too? I went for the bb and calls package and this threw my 2-3 week order into a 9 week ordeal. Apparently when Esat transferred my rental to them, I got a new account number. The bb people tried to apply the order to the non-existent old account number and hey presto Eircom said they were rejecting the order. It took weeks for them to finally get it sorted.

aodh_rua,
    I had this problem last week. Only for the fact that I keep chasing them they would have done nothing.
    As I said on another thread, yesterday(or Monday) they told me that Eircom had a block on the line. I had to ring Eircom!They told me there was no block on line. I told ESAT this and they said they would try and put order in again.

Its got to the stage now where I couldn't give a toss about BB.I may just have to stick with my Anytime package instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

JackieChan wrote:
    aodh_rua,
    I had this problem last week. Only for the fact that I keep chasing them they would have done nothing.
    As I said on another thread, yesterday(or Monday) they told me that Eircom had a block on the line. I had to ring Eircom!They told me there was no block on line. I told ESAT this and they said they would try and put order in again.

Its got to the stage now where I couldn't give a toss about BB.I may just have to stick with my Anytime package instead.

Exactly what happened with me. I got the distinct impression no humans were talking to each other and that it was all automated. However, I eventually got onto a very helpful esat guy called Johnny and eventually I got sorted (9 weeks later). That whole block on the line and Eircom saying the opposite is exactly what happened to me.

aodh_rua,
    How long did you have to wait after Johnnt got involved?Was it still the 3 weeks?
    JC

I got a letter from IOL yesterday thanking me for applying for BB and that I would receive equipment in the next 15 days.
    Does this mean that I will defintely get BB or can there still be problems?

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

If they said 15days then you're getting BB. If they don't let you have it you should kick up a **** storm. But for the moment just hang on.

I had a similar problem with both companies. I decided to get wireless BB instead just because I got to speak to a human being.

I ordered it last Friday from Nova Networks in Cork, it's being installed on Tuesday. No problems, no ring this guy, then this guy and hop on one leg singing jingle bells while wearing your boxers on your head!!!!

ex

Had a gut feeling that my order was just sitting there.
    I called Esat and the told me that the order is now in an open status with Eircom and that another department would have to resubmit the order.

I felt that I had no choice to to email the ceo and customer care manager as advised on another thread.
    I got a reply back from the ceo apologising and cc'ing some other managers on this.

I know its chrismas eve but I put in my first request for BB on 5th of November and I should have had it over a month ago.

• Advertisement

I got a call from Complaints department yesterday, they have told me that I will have the equipment in the middle of next week.....we shall see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I have a sky box and a cordless phone,there are wires everywhere,i dunno where to start....

I have a sky box and a cordless phone,there are wires everywhere,i dunno where to start....
    Maybe its a bit early in the morning for me, but I dont get this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

If it helps, I would imagine the wires belong to the sky box, (unless you were conned when you bought the cordless phone). :rolleyes:

router came this morning and I'm now online.
    at long last!!
    11 weeks in the waiting!!

Congrats! Hope you enjoy - you can never go back once you use bb@

Advertisement