Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Film Classifications/Rating Introduced - 16s

• 09-12-2004 5:12pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Soooo the censor has just introduced a 16s rating. From the Indo:
    The Film Censor, John Kelleher, has announced minor changes to the certificate categories awarded to films cleared for screening in Ireland. Mr Kelleher said today that a new '16' certificate would be introduced on January 1st for films suitable for viewing by people aged 16 years and over.

He also said the existing '12PG' and '15PG' ratings would be replaced with new '12A' and '15A' certificates.
    Children under the age of 12 of 15 would only be allowed to watch such films in the company of an adult.
    This should stop so many movies being placed in the 18s category when they get a 15s rating in the UK and more clearly delineate a violent-content movie.

Also switching 12PG/15PG to 12A/15A, I hope, will make it clearer to all those thick parents who bitched about "Bad Santa" that if ye exceed these ages you need to be accompanied by an adult.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

I missed the Bad Santa bitching,What was the problem?

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Xcom2 wrote:
    I missed the Bad Santa bitching,What was the problem?

X
    People had trouble understanding that 15PG didn't mean take your pre-teen kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Crucifix wrote:
    People had trouble understanding that 15PG didn't mean take your pre-teen kid.

OMG!!! :mad:

How many children were offended?
    Not a lot I would guess.

How many parent's were offended?
    Quite a few I would guess.

It is up to the parent in this situation,they should know what the rating's mean.They should know what their child is capable of watching.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Why do all these improvments occur after it would have come in handy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I thought it was hilarious (a) watching parents with very young kids queueing to get into the movie, and (b) watching parents with very young kids walking out of the movie while Billy Bob and Lauren Graham were in the back of the car and Lauren was moaning "F**k me, santa, f**k me, santa..." over and over again.

Aah good times (and stupid parents!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Kelleher is fixing a system that isn't broken.

How many parents will know what a 12A or 15A means? Probably as many as know what a 12PG or 15PG means.

Also, the 15PG certificate was the same, content-wise as a 15 (no PG) was:
    "The 15PG certificate indicates that while the film is, in the opinion of the Film Censor, suitable for those over 15 years of age only, a person under that age may be admitted to a conema screening if accompanied by a Parent or Guardian."

This was an official statement from the censor's office when the 12PG & 15PG ratings were introduced and it clearly states that in the censor's opinion a 15PG is not suitable for under 15's, but gives parents the ultimate choice.

With this in mind, I see little reason for introducing a 16's certificate. How much difference does Kelleher think there is between a 15 and 16 year old anyway?

If I was him, I would have initiated a campaign for creating awareness about what the certificates mean, and what kind of content can be expected from a film with each particular rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

The 16 rating excludes all people under the age of 16 from seeing the film, so there is no chance of a stupid parent bringing a five year old to an adult-themed film. It should be a 15 rating, but this is Ireland, and the chance of both 15 and 15PG ratings being understood is absolutely nil.

Advertisement