Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No 8 green route

• 09-12-2004 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

Sitting at the coffee station today near the college gates, I saw a sign saying that the no 8 bus green route would begin tomorrow, Friday the 10th.

Does anyone know what exactly this is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭whatalanger

it's the route for the green buses silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I think it's got to do with some altered stops and the use of a bus lane or something. Or an altered route. I can't remember to be honest! It's been too long since I was told what it meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Number 6 is becoming a green route also tomorrow. There is a one of those electronic signs down by the enterance of my park, I am half tempted to go down there and open up the box to change whats read on the sign. Would be a great larf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

well, it gets dark early these nights, perfect for ninja electronic excursions

edit: just found this on the cork corp website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

On the radio this morning (so it must be true) they were saying it was going to lead to a 30% reduction in journey times. Bollox! For starters the bus lanes have been there for ages now and don't seem to have made any difference. The no.8 route also only seems to have bus lanes in one direction (you might get into town slightly faster but god help you if you're going to wilton/university hospital) and the lanes seem to stop before all the junctions. Can anybody else see the buses tearing up inside a line of traffic to sit at the end of the bus lane while nobody leaves them out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

This morning while stuck in traffic in Bishopstown 7 cars passed me on the left in the "green" lane. 4 pulled off to the left and 3 got back into the queue after passing a load of cars. I'd love to see a cop pull them over.

Fecking students etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This morning while stuck in traffic in Bishopstown 7 cars passed me on the left in the "green" lane. 4 pulled off to the left and 3 got back into the queue after passing a load of cars. I'd love to see a cop pull them over.

Fecking students etc etc

We can afford cars now? Really, did you see students in the car? The most aggressive drivers in my experience are middle aged men.
    On the radio this morning (so it must be true) they were saying it was going to lead to a 30% reduction in journey times. Bollox! For starters the bus lanes have been there for ages now and don't seem to have made any difference. The no.8 route also only seems to have bus lanes in one direction (you might get into town slightly faster but god help you if you're going to wilton/university hospital) and the lanes seem to stop before all the junctions. Can anybody else see the buses tearing up inside a line of traffic to sit at the end of the bus lane while nobody leaves them out?

Yep it's pretty much bs alright. I get the bus into UCC every morning from Lotabeg/Mayfield and it's as much hell as ever. They're supposed to be building a green route from Mayfield to city centre but I haven't seen anything of it. Strangely enough they're publishing pictures, but I live in the area and I haven't seen any work on it. It's like the whole software vapourware thing.

And you've just got to love this quote from the website:
    as well as providing priority for the efficient movement of passengers by bus, the development will also include improved footpaths and protection for pedestrians from traffic as well as space for cycle lanes and tracks.

There hasn't been a single cycle lane put down so far. What they mean by "cycle lanes and tracks" is that cyclists are allowed use the bus lanes, bless. Okay, it's less dangerous that being on the main road considering the abysmal frequency of Cork buses, though your odds of being struck by an "as seirbhís" or "city centre only" bus are still pretty high. They have the same system in Dublin on the occasional route, but it's nothing compared to an actual cycle lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Stark wrote:
    hey're supposed to be building a green route from Mayfield to city centre but I haven't seen anything of it. Strangely enough they're publishing pictures, but I live in the area and I haven't seen any work on it. It's like the whole software vapourware thing.

Actually I checked it out and all they're doing on the Mayfield to city centre side is relaying the footpaths, no bus routes or cycle routes and calling it the magical green route that's supposed to solve the city's transportation woes. Give me a break :mad:

Fair enough there's not enough room on the existing roads for bus lanes but they at least make some attempt at a cycle route. For example when they were doing up the Lower Glanmire road they could have put down cycle lanes when they were putting down the new footpath, and have a nice route into the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

"It's predicted to cut traffic times by 30%"

Let's all be politicians and come up with complete fanasy scenarios.

I think the green route will solve world hunger, secure world peace and cure cancer after three months of operation.

Advertisement