Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scenario

Options
  • 09-12-2004 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

Similar to the AA in the first hand of the WSOP thread, but different!!

You're playing in a once-off STT, and you're dealt KK in the 1st hand. You raise to X times the BB, get one caller and then a late player goes all-in..

You know this player is generally loose aggresive, but only when they're leading the play, not reacting to it.

Would you call or fold and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Call, you've KK ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

Iago wrote:

You're playing in a once-off STT, and you're dealt KK in the 1st hand. You raise to X times the BB, get one caller and then a late player goes all-in..

You know this player is generally loose aggresive, but only when they're leading the play, not reacting to it.

call, is there a reason to fold? There's only one hand your behind to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

You can only lay down KK if you are 100% sure you are up against AA. If you start folding it for any other reason you will never get far in poker. However playing them can hurt. See my blog for reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Iago wrote:

What would this player do with QQ here? Thats your answer. If you think hed flat call or fold then you can fold, if hes like 99% of the players at the low or mid stts then he'd raise, and so you should call. If you run into AA its hard luck, but youll be up against QQ AK, JJ etc most of the time. Ive never folded KK preflop in a stt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Call (and even raise all in yourself if the other player has any cash left-> its time for u to be super agressive! ] : )

The clincher here is that if the all in player is agressive, that he could be trying to push u all off the table with not much. React by all in (or call) everytime.

Think KK is an all in no doubt, he may have the only hand thats ahead AA but u can never really pass on the Cowboys.*

** You could pass if your the worlds greatest reader of tellsetc(player profiles if online) :) and u have a 100% success rate on sayin what cards players are on . Otherwise call.

IMO dont play poker if u can come up with good reasons* too often to fold KK.
    *I think u have to know the player v v well, played with them a lot can read them when they have AA etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I'd fold them face up. You have to build an image at the table that lets you bluff at a later stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭dropsy

I encountered a somewhat similar situation in the first Merrion €200 Freezeout a few months ago. I had roughly 5K in chips, blinds were 200/400 and I found KK in BB. Folded around to the button who raised to 3X BB. I knew this guy to be a good player but loose aggressive in this kind of situation (i.e. when folded around to him on button I think he would have made that raise with any pair, any two broadways or Ax). SB folded and I figured that while he would probably fold to a reraise I could see the flop for cheap and check raise (as he would almost certainly have bet any flop) if an A didn't show.

Flop came QQA. I considered betting it but in truth there was a good chance I was behind at this stage to an A and I would learn nothing with a small bet as he would probably flat call or reraise with any pair, A or Q. All-in or a large bet was the only way to learn anything and it could be a costly lesson so I checked, he bet the pot and I folded, showing the K's. He didn't show but by his reaction I may well have been ahead. Thoughts?

FWIW, that hand has paid off against that player in subsequent tourneys when he's folded to raises from me when I've had poor cards or rags so in the long term it has proved a profitable play.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

lafortezza wrote:
    I'd fold them face up. You have to build an image at the table that lets you bluff at a later stage.

Does this not give the wrong image to the table, that you can be pushed off pots easily pre flop..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

biteme wrote:
    Does this not give the wrong image to the table, that you can be pushed off pots easily pre flop..
    No its correct to fold KK up to 65% of the time when faced with aggression from a good player and there's another player to act.

• Advertisement
Advertisement