Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

everyone is in such a rush these days!!

Options
  • 09-12-2004 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Was just driving home on the m50 north bound from dundrum.. approx 5.30..

As you all probably know the limit at that stretch of the m50 is 60mph.. So i'm in the 'fast' lane pretty much dead on 60mph.. There is an astra behind me, the astra is behind me for a couple of minutes and then decides to flash me... and i'm just thinking WTF!! i'm not doin anything wrong!! this impatient prick had plenty of time to overtake me way before this but doesn't.. instead he flashes me :confused::confused::confused:

Obviously i don't do anythin and stick to my speed,, eventually he overtakes me and while doing so he gives me a dirty look :mad: :mad:

What the **** is wrong with people.. the limit is there for a reason.. the guy was such a dumbass.. so much so that within seconds later i had passed him whilst taking my exit.. not only did he overtake me for no reason and breaking the limit while doing so.. once he did he basically came to a dead stop because of the traffic.. i had to laugh to myself when i passed him.. he's probably still on the m50 :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

newband wrote:
    What the **** is wrong with people.. the limit is there for a reason..

If there is, I'd like to know what it is ... must be those really savage bends :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

newband wrote:
    i'm in the 'fast' lane pretty much dead on 60mph.
    There's no such thing as a "fast lane" in Ireland. The lane you were in is an overtaking lane, which is intended for the sole use of overtaking slower-moving traffic, hence the name. When you're finished overtaking you're supposed to move back into the left-hand lane as soon as traffic permits. Your speed or the speed of the person behind you has has no bearing whatsoever on this.

If I could, I would have this stamped in reverse on the forehead of every driver in Ireland, so it'd be the first thing they'd see when they got up in the morning. Take a trip to Spain for yourself asap, you might learn a thing or two about using lanes correctly.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

agrees with da hamsta.... it is simply the most infuriating thing IN THE WORLD when u come up behind a driver in the right hand lane and they won't pull in as they are supposed to.

EDIT: altho I still agree with the sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

What makes me laugh are the simpletons who speed up to overtake you (when you are already doing the speed limit) only to take the next exit which is literally minutes away ! Gob*****s :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Silvera wrote:
    What makes me laugh are the simpletons who speed up to overtake you (when you are already doing the speed limit) only to take the next exit which is literally minutes away !
    Ever think they just didn't want to drive behind you? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

What is the point in overtaking, moving into the outside lane, only to return to the inside lane and take the next (fast approaching!) exit ?!

Answer: there is no point !

A pointless manouver that shows the immaturity/lack of knowledge of such drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm constantly flashing morons on the N4 to get out of my way. Some people seem to think you'll catch something if you drive in the empty left-hand lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

dahamsta wrote:
    There's no such thing as a "fast lane" in Ireland. The lane you were in is an overtaking lane, which is intended for the sole use of overtaking slower-moving traffic, hence the name. When you're finished overtaking you're supposed to move back into the left-hand lane as soon as traffic permits. Your speed or the speed of the person behind you has has no bearing whatsoever on this.

If I could, I would have this stamped in reverse on the forehead of every driver in Ireland, so it'd be the first thing they'd see when they got up in the morning. Take a trip to Spain for yourself asap, you might learn a thing or two about using lanes correctly.

adam

just to let you know.. i was doing exactly 60mph in a 60mph zone.. do you permit the use of speeding to overtake?

i would understand if i was going slowly in the 'fast' lane.. but i wasn't.. i was at the speed limit.. So i see no reason to move over for some ignorant prick who flashes me cos he's an impatient bastard..

seamus wrote:
    I'm constantly flashing morons on the N4 to get out of my way. Some people seem to think you'll catch something if you drive in the empty left-hand lane.

the other lane wasn't empty.. this was in the middle of rush hour.. i see no reason to move out of the way of people who insist on speeding.. i wasn't causing any kind of obstruction by driving too slow

dahamsta wrote:
    There's no such thing as a "fast lane" in Ireland. The lane you were in is an overtaking lane, which is intended for the sole use of overtaking slower-moving traffic, hence the name.

adam

and i was overtaking people by the way..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

newband wrote:
    just to let you know.. i was doing exactly 60mph in a 60mph zone.. do you permit the use of speeding to overtake?

i would understand if i was going slowly in the 'fast' lane.. but i wasn't.. i was at the speed limit.. So i see no reason to move over for some ignorant prick who flashes me cos he's an impatient bastard..
    You move over because that's the law. That's your reason. You were doing 60mph, well done. His speed is none of your concern. If he flashes you to overtake, you must pull in (where/when safe) and allow him to pass. I use flashing because it's a non-aggressive way of letting someone know you wish to overtake them.
    i see no reason to move out of the way of people who insist on speeding.. i wasn't causing any kind of obstruction by driving too slow
    Actually, my statement wasn't directed at you. But by not allowing him to pass, you *are* causing an obstruction, and you can be done for any of a plethora of offences.

The key here is that the right-hand lane is an overtaking lane. You should treat it like you would when overtaking on a single-lane road - i.e. move out, overtake, move back in. If there's a car 400m in front of you, going slower then you, you are wrong to remain in the right-hand lane until you reach it. If there is a considerable gap between two vehicles in the left-hand lane, you must overtake one, pull in, follow correct procedure when you reach the second one, pull out and overtake, and pull in again.

We already know it's an offence to obstruct (or otherwise make life difficult for) someone if they wish to overtake you. The same rule applies here. Iirc mackerski also posted up evidence of why it's an offence to remain in the right-hand lane when not overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

So i'm in the 'fast' lane pretty much dead on 60mph.. There is an astra behind me....i'm not doin anything wrong!! this impatient prick had plenty of time to overtake me way before this but doesn't.. instead he flashes me...Obviously i don't do anythin and stick to my speed,, eventually he overtakes me
    I am a bit confused....You were in the "fast lane" and he overtook you? Did he drive along the grass on the central reservation or did you move aside or did he undertake you? :confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

seamus wrote:
    But by not allowing him to pass, you *are* causing an obstruction, and you can be done for any of a plethora of offences.
    Unfortunatley as there is no real traffic plicing in this country then can should be re-written as 'could but more than likely won't'!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Just because you are doing 60mph does not give you the right to enforce the speed limit on other road users. If they want to break the law that is their business. My advice, move aside and leave them at it. Why bother agravating the situation when there is no need.
    Also wtf were you sitting in the overtaking lane for, it's name as it suggests is for overtaking

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

newband wrote:
    Was just driving home on the m50 north bound from dundrum.. approx 5.30..

As you all probably know the limit at that stretch of the m50 is 60mph.. So i'm in the 'fast' lane pretty much dead on 60mph.. There is an astra behind me, the astra is behind me for a couple of minutes and then decides to flash me... and i'm just thinking WTF!! i'm not doin anything wrong!! this impatient prick had plenty of time to overtake me way before this but doesn't.. instead he flashes me :confused::confused::confused:

Flashing is downright rude. I lose all ability to accelerate when it happens, blinded as I am by the light and get slower and slower. Seamus would be well upset with me. :D

erm Fletch, he did say this...
    newband wrote:
    and i was overtaking people by the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Hello Newband
    when you say you were overtaking do you mean 2 or 3 cars, or was the other lane full?

Johnnycabs wrote:
    Hello Newband
    I am just posting to support what seamus and others have said. Safe driving isn't just about speed limits - if someone wants to go past you should let them. If they want to speed thats not your problem nor is it your place to try policing that. While I do sympathise with your standpoint on one level, you need to bear in mind that actions like these could result in another driver getting wound up and making an irresponsible undertaking maneouvre. You can shrug your shoulders and say not your problem, but I would urge you to think about it.

Seamus's approach to driving is not safe . By his own admission the road is full of morons. That seems to suggest a somewhat irrational attitude to driving. The overtaking lane is the outside lane, however in heavy traffic where you have no option to move in , it becomes a normal lane. I agree with newband but also acknowledge that those in the overtaking lane are not policing others speed limit. That notwithstanding a little bit of patience will not go amiss. We all stand a chance of getting home safely that way .

exacty!!! i was overtaking people ffs!!

To be honest i don't give a **** what the law says, i was in the so called fast lane, going 60mph.. its heavy traffic i, As i said, i was NOT causing an obstruction..

if the situation was reversed i would

A) Not do a ****ing thing because the person in front is travelling as fast as the SPEED LIMIT allows legally.. and i wouldn't see that as an obstruction ffs!

or

B) If by chance the person in front was going considerably less than what the speed limit allows, then i would over/undertake.. I would NOT flash my lights.. because it's fúckin childish and pointless..

Jesus christ people, if this is how everyone reacts when someone's not going as fast as the driver behind them would like them to.. then it's no fúckin wonder there's so many deaths on the roads:rolleyes:

1. there is not fast lane - remember that!
    2. what was the road like in front of you - were there many cars? Im assuming not as otherwise he wouldn't have bothered to flash you. Were you going much faster than the cars you were overtaking?

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    1. there is not fast lane - remember that!
    2. what was the road like in front of you - were there many cars? Im assuming not as otherwise he wouldn't have bothered to flash you. Were you going much faster than the cars you were overtaking?

i know i know. but read my post
    i was in the so called fast lane
    ;)

No there weren't many cars in front.. and i wasn't going much faster than everyone else.. i'd say everyone else was at around 55+mph and i was dead on 60.. so i wasn't overtaking in lightening speed or anything like that..

my understanding then is that you were pretty much blocking the overtaking lane!

no.. i was overtaking in the overtaking lane.. the overtaking lane is not a lane where you must drive considerably faster then everyone else.. it is for overtaking.. which is what i was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

If I remember, Newband's driving on a provisional license, and shouldn't have been on any motorway, let alone be driving badly and incorrectly on one!

that's my 2c.

how can you overtake responsibly by doing less than 5mph more than the vehicle you are passing? You could have driven all the way round from Dundrum to tallaght during that manouvre then! An overtaking manouvre should be short and quick!

furthermore, "and i was dead on 60." - were you concentrating on overtaking or your speed?

The act of overtaking is: indicate , move out , execute the manoeuvre and move back in when it is safe to do so

how can you overtake responsibly by doing less than 5mph more than the vehicle you are passing? You could have driven all the way round from Dundrum to tallaght during that manouvre then! An overtaking manouvre should be short and quick!

oh.. well i didn't know that:rolleyes:

kbannon wrote:
    furthermore, "and i was dead on 60." - were you concentrating on overtaking or your speed?

well you know.. it IS the speed limit.. so i do try and make an effort to stay within the limit.. wtf is wrong with people!! god forbid i loose all concentration on the speed limit :rolleyes:

There isn't a whole lot of concentration involved.. when im at 60.. i stop pushing with my right foot, ya dig? Once i have done that i drive and then i overtake people... that's basically whats involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Bogger77 wrote:
    If I remember, Newband's driving on a provisional license, and shouldn't have been on any motorway, let alone be driving badly and incorrectly on one!

that's my 2c.

tis not a motorway if the speed limit is 60mph..... :D but i'm very much open to correction on that :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement