Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

everyone is in such a rush these days!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

Bogger77 wrote:
    If I remember, Newband's driving on a provisional license, and shouldn't have been on any motorway, let alone be driving badly and incorrectly on one!

that's my 2c.

oh please :rolleyes:

and please explain how i was driving badly and incorrectly?? i'd love to know..

Is it because i was sticking to the speed limit? unlike others.. was it because i was overtaking a little slower than people would have liked, however still overtaking..

With all due respect, stick that 2c up your arse ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

newband wrote:
    oh please :rolleyes:

If you're not denying it, it's true then,

Get off the road, and quit whinging

you still driving the punto, that explains why you know you were doing 60, that car couldn't do more than 62, unless it's down hill

Bogger77 wrote:
    If you're not denying it, it's true then,

Get off the road, and quit whinging

you still driving the punto, that explains why you know you were doing 60, that car couldn't do more than 62, unless it's down hill

ha ha,, such a child.. is that the best argument you got?? does your head whistle in a cross wind by any chance :rolleyes:

RuggieBear wrote:
    tis not a motorway if the speed limit is 60mph..... :D but i'm very much open to correction on that :)

Speed limit of 70 doesn't mean a motor, or vice versa, if you've driven from Holyhead to Manchester, you'll notice that most of the road is 70MPH, but not motor way. Motorways are governed by a special set of rules, min speeds, types of drivers allowed etc. 70 is the max, but 60 is usually found on "Dangerous" section (dangerous relative to motorways). 50MPH is common in UK for urban motorways.

edit the sections of the m50 currently marked 60 don't deserve to be, but given the traffic volumes that section usually has too much volume to be doing 70.

Bogger77 wrote:
    edit the sections of the m50 currently marked 60 don't deserve to be, but given the traffic volumes that section usually has too much volume to be doing 70.

edit - are you actually condoning overtaking at considerable speed in a area with a large volume of traffic?? tut tut bogger, tut tut

• Advertisement

newband wrote:
    60 was the limit... are you actually condoning overtaking at considerable speed in a 'dangerous' section?? tut tut bogger, tut tut
    Please quote the whole section.

Newband,
    are you aware of the rules of the road, esp the regulations relating to travel on a motorway? I suggest you read them, and then as soon as you pass a test (not anytime soon, i reckon), put them into action on the roads of this country.

thank you, good night

i'll edit my post to match yours so

Bogger77 wrote:
    Newband,
    are you aware of the rules of the road, esp the regulations relating to travel on a motorway? I suggest you read them, and then as soon as you pass a test (not anytime soon, i reckon), put them into action on the roads of this country.

thank you, good night

well, that was inspiring bogger, truely inspiring..

i see you still have explained why i was driving badly.. again, was it because i wasn't breaking the spped limit?

newband wrote:
    60 was the limit... are you actually condoning overtaking at considerable speed in a 'dangerous' section?? tut tut bogger, tut tut

If you cannot safely complete any manoeuvre on the road, you should not attempt to. That includes, overtaking, moving from a junction. Other road users may show their disapproval of your ill-advised actions, by flashing their lights, giving you the bird or reporting you to the police.

Get over it. You expected sympathy from us, yet you admit to holding the overtaking lane of a motoway, sorry. Pass your test and you might get some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Bogger77 wrote:

You could very well be right about eng....actually i heard that the sections of the M50 were 60mph, as they hadn't hooked up the emergency phones and as a consequence it couldn't be classified as motorway...which meant it couldn't get a 70mph limit....

admitedly that could all be bull**** as it was explained to me by a mate's father....

newband wrote:
    well, that was inspiring bogger, truely inspiring..

i see you still have explained why i was driving badly.. again, was it because i wasn't breaking the spped limit?

Ya see, most people have already told you what you were doing wrong, are you as slow as your car, You admit to being in the outside passing lane of a motorway, holding up faster moving traffic. That is an offence under the Road Traffic acts.

Bogger77 wrote:
    If you cannot safely complete any manoeuvre on the road, you should not attempt to. That includes, overtaking, moving from a junction. Other road users may show their disapproval of your ill-advised actions, by flashing their lights, giving you the bird or reporting you to the police.

Get over it. You expected sympathy from us, yet you admit to holding the overtaking lane of a motoway, sorry. Pass your test and you might get some.

well explain to me how i did not complete the manoeuvre safely.. lets see, i moved into the overtaking lane after indicating.. i obviously overtook people, then moved back into the inside lane and then took my exit.. seems pretty safe to me.. what's not safe? would you prefer i break the speeding limit just to get it done a little quicker? say it isn't so :rolleyes:

Bogger77 wrote:
    Ya see, most people have already told you what you were doing wrong, are you as slow as your car, You admit to being in the outside passing lane of a motorway, holding up faster moving traffic. That is an offence under the Road Traffic acts.

it is an offense to speed.. and i don't remember all the cars behind me flashing.. it was just one ignorant motorist with no patience..

are you saying i should dangerously move into the inside land when there is insufficient space to do so just to let the driver past?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

RuggieBear wrote:
    You could very well be right about eng....actually i heard that the sections of the M50 were 60mph, as they hadn't hooked up the emergency phones and as a consequence it couldn't be classified as motorway...which meant it couldn't get a 70mph limit....

admitedly that could all be bull**** as it was explained to me by a mate's father....

It's for gardai to issue penalty points. :D Lots of people forget the speed limit there on that stretch

RuggieBear wrote:

The main things that make a motorway are seperate flow of traffic, at least two lanes of traffic, and a safety lane (hard shoulder), restricted access to vehicles (no slow vehicles, small CC'd engines, no horses or bicyclists), restricted drivers (No L plate drivers), lack of interuptions to traffic flow (off ramps and fly overs, no roundbouts, or T junctions). The speed limit is normally higher than national ordinary roads, but just as N class roads can be reduced to 50/40 even though dual carraigeways (eg kilmacanoge? on N11), so can Motorways, for safety reasons or traffic volumes, like the M4 in UK where they reduce speed limits in heavy traffic using the electronic road signs, here we just reduce the limit 100% of the time.

70mph doesn't make a motorway, 60 MPH doesn't make it not a motorway. It's basically those Blue signs that make it one :-)

is_that_so wrote:
    It's for gardai to issue penalty points. :D Lots of people forget the speed limit there on that stretch

It's also for them to enforce the Road Traffic laws, not us. The advice, from Traffic cops is to let the speeding driver past you, and inform the cops, not as in Newbands case, hold him up by blocking a lane!

you flash a lot of people don't ya.. it wasn't you who was behind me was it? relax man, you'll live longer.. whats the rush?

As i said, i'm not gonna break the limit or dangerously move into the inner lane when there is insufficient space to do so.. i'm not gettin myself killed because of some impatient bastard behind me.. cop on will ya :rolleyes:

Bogger77 wrote:
    no roundbouts 70mph doesn't make a motorway, 60 MPH doesn't make it not a motorway. It's basically those Blue signs that make it one :-)

So neither M1 nor M50 are proper motorways . Only place I have ever seen two motorways connected by
    - a roundabout
    - traffic lights :o

is_that_so wrote:
    So neither M1 nor M50 are proper motorways . Only place I have ever seen two motorways connected by
    - a roundabout
    - traffic lights :o

The Roundabout at the m1/M50 junction is after the end of motorway restrictions, check the next time you pass through.

The junction ain't ideal, it was the cheapest to build and they are going to fix it, but until then when going from M1 South to M50 West, and from M50 East to M1 South, you actually go from via the N32.

• Advertisement

Bogger77 wrote:
    The Roundabout at the m1/M50 junction is after the end of motorway restrictions, check the next time you pass through.

The junction ain't ideal, it was the cheapest to build and they are going to fix it, but until then when going from M1 South to M50 West, and from M50 East to M1 South, you actually go from via the N32.

Actually to be fair u can go M1 north without any of that nonsense. Still an Irish solution. Should be a proper interchange. I have heard that M50 solution was proposed as far back as 1977. N32 was planned for even as they were building parts of Donaghmede in the early 70's

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

newband wrote:
    you performed a dangerous manouvre whilst taking your time about it (by driving at <5mph faster than the other vehicles).
    You underestimated your ability to pass these cars quickly without affecting other road users.
    You praise yourself for driving within the speed limits on a road which you should not have been on in the first place!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

is_that_so wrote:
    Actually to be fair u can go M1 north without any of that nonsense. Still an Irish solution. Should be a proper interchange. I have heard that M50 solution was proposed as far back as 1977. N32 was planned for even as they were building parts of Donaghmede in the early 70's
    Ring roads have been on the cards for much longer than that. Anyway were going off topic here!

kbannon wrote:
    you performed a dangerous manouvre whilst taking your time about it (by driving at <5mph faster than the other vehicles).
    You underestimated your ability to pass these cars quickly without affecting other road users.
    You praise yourself for driving within the speed limits on a road which you should not have been on in the first place!

you still haven't answered my previous question.. how was it a dangerous manouvre? I didn't underestimate anything.. i knew what i was doing.. the only argument you have is that i shouldn't have been on the road in the first place.. well tough ****, i'll be driving on that road again on sun, then mon, tues, weds..... and so on.. from what i gather i am one of the few safe drivers.. and i really can imagine you in an instance of road rage.. you have flashed a lot of people haven't ya.. you wouldn't be a middle aged BMW owner would ya,, cos that would explain a lot :rolleyes: more money than brains

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote:

Indeed. You don't learn, newband, do you? Do read the posts by Adam and Seamus earlier in this thread again please!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tonight on the Belgard Road, two cars driving beside each other at ~33mph and there was nothing in front of the car in the right hand lane. The 40mph signs are actually painted on the road in big circles - so no excuse.

I've seen it so many times that someone who wants to turn right at Newlands Cross stays in the right hand lane all the way , through lights etc.

As for undertaking instead of flashing, that way they will never learn, maybe a blue strobe light might work better, or just pain orange beacon.

well, i'll never be surprised by the stupidity of some people.. maybe read all my posts and reply back to me.. maybe you don't like the fact that i was on the road in the first place.. well, NEWSFLASH, i can't change that now.. if you are all suggesting i should either

a) speed up quite a lot just so i can change lanes that little bit quicker to let some gob****e by me, or

b) dangerously change lanes straight away where there isn't enough space for me to do so in heavy traffic just to let some gob****e by me..

then i'm pretty disappointed tbh.. and people wonder why so many people die on our roads when most drivers have this mentality:rolleyes:

Bogger77 wrote:

are you now saying that if i had a full licence i would not be at fault and you would actually agree with me.. so people with full licences can do no wrong? :rolleyes:
    Tonight on the Belgard Road, two cars driving beside each other at ~33mph and there was nothing in front of the car in the right hand lane. The 40mph signs are actually painted on the road in big circles - so no excuse.

I'm not sure but i don't think the same rule applies to the belgard road. I don't think the right hand lane is an 'overtaking' lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

As for undertaking instead of flashing, that way they will never learn, maybe a blue strobe light might work better, or just pain orange beacon.

I've considered installing two blue strobes discretely in the grille for that .... :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

newband wrote:
    the only argument you have is that i shouldn't have been on the road in the first place.. well tough ****, i'll be driving on that road again on sun, then mon, tues, weds..... and so on.
    To manipulate a quote from your very first post in this thread: "The limit is there for a reason." Can you say "hypocrisy"? Stay off the motorway n00b, you're in the way of us big boys in our beamers.

heh

adam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement