Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Questions (READ HOW TO THREAD FIRST)

Options
  • 09-12-2004 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

a quick idea of what i'm on about. (and yes i know you're trying to create an impression of space, but the box around the shrimp sorta ruins it :s )

shrimp.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

well thanks for the effort.. maybe if you could gimme the png of that i will alter it a lil... cheers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

sionnach you're very good there, do you draw and scan or do you use vectors all the way? Or did you find a pic of a shrimp and vectorise it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

saw a pic of the shrimp, then quickly sketched some simplified logo versions. The only tricky bit was the legs. They're ridiculously thin and spindly in real life but the little fat chunky ones i gave him sorta look okay for a logo. Once i had the basic look i wanted i just got the pen too and made a nice smooth vector version. Hardest part was drawing the vectors, cos i don't have a scanner here or a graphics tablet, so it takes a while to get them right when you have no on-screen guide. Even then though, it was a nice simple piece to do.

ok.. i need to be filled in.. what are vectors..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Get a digital camera sionnach.

You guys should be doing company logos or something like that.

I'll be back to you guy's later to show u's how i got on.. :D:D:D:D Cheers Sionnach

vectors are referred to as paths in fireworks, they're the lines and the edges of objects. If you make something out of vectors you can resize it without loss of quality. If you try to enlarge a bitmap however, it looks rubbish :) hence it is preferable to make your stuff vector based, especially when making a logo or something that will need to be resized a lot.

Gordon wrote:
    Get a digital camera sionnach.

getting a nice sum of tax back soon from my summer work :) a digicam is something i shall be buying :)

ok.. i'm guessing PNG's are vector based as long as all the elements in them have been made for sctratch using fireworks/photoshop?

• Advertisement

Shrimp wrote:
    ok.. i'm guessing PNG's are vector based as long as all the elements in them have been made for sctratch using fireworks/photoshop?

not necessarily. Using the pencil tool creats a bitmap image element in fireworks. Actions such as inverting the colours of an object or blurring it turn it into a bitmap, but mostly, stuff created in fireworks is vector based.

have you got any good sites that may explain this... like i'm still quiet new to the whole graphic design scene... only started about 2 moths ago!

It's just I got a flare for art.. so that helps, I'm also thinking in the long run, of gettin a computer sketch pad.. :)

Advertisement