Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll: Led Zep or Hendrix?

Options
  • 09-12-2004 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Ok, this was a tough question for most of my friends to answer. Who rules the most? Led Zeppelin or Jimmy Hendrix? It's a toughie alright.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭IamtheKing

Feel free to slam me for this one. I skipped the poll editing page by accident. Boy is my face red.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Zeppelin. Jimi Hendrix was cool, but didn't have the variety of LZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Definatly LZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

Zeppelin.
    Although Hendrix has some great songs - little wing in particular stands out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I'm gonna have to say Led Zepplin too, simply because its what I listened to when I was younger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

I'd go with hendrix

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Lep by miles. Jimmy Hendrix was fantastic, think Page is is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Hendrix by a mile.
    One of the most influential rock guitarist in history. Not only was he very innovative as a guitar player but also in recording.
    While Jimmy Page was also very innovative when it came to recording he was a very sloppy guitar player.
    LZ had some great songs...but overall musicianship I think pales in comparison to Jimmy, as well as their respective impact on music.
    But then what do they say about opinions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

hendrix was sloppy too.
    zeppelin definatly win but hendrix was very good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

zeppelin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Im going to say zeppelin but i dunno,its too close a call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Zep for me. But the Hendrix Blues album is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

definitely led zeppelin. i'm not really a fan of hendrix

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Oohhh .. this is a hard one to call, given that you've got two of my favourites going head-to-head.

I think though, as much as I love LZ, I'mgoing to say Hendrix. He quite simply raised the bar and pushed music into new avenues that others (read: just above everybody since) simply followed - including Zeppelin

Zeppelin's songs are consistently better, but Hendrix was, and is the undisputed god of the electric guitar and rock as we know it. What others can only do with about ten f/x pedals hooked together at the same time, he was doing with two: a wah pedal and a distortion pedal. The rest was his own creative genius and unnervingly natural understanding of resonance and feedback. On that note I'm reminded of an anecdote told by one of the, I think, band members whilst on tour:

A roadie was asked to fetch jimi's guitar from across the stage, which was plugged into a live amp. It screamed with feedback. He put it down and it stopped. Jimi walked over and picked the guitar up, and it did not make *a sound*

He is also about the only person I know of that was able to use the original Fender Strat. tremolo bar (quite heavily too from some of the footage I'ev seen) and not put his guitars out of tune .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

Zep had some classics, but for overall skill and variety it would have to be jimi... it was close decision tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Floyd (and Zep, Hendrix). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

not a big fan of either,
    but would lean towards jimi.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Seppelin.Hendrix was overhyped crap.

In my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

should i laugh now or later?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Zepplin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Way too close to call. I love both equally but for different reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Most people seem to forget that Jimi's career was effectively only three years. What he achieved in that space of time is nothing short of amazing. Imagine if Zep never got to make IV, Houses Of The Holy, Physical Graffiti, etc.

Jimi was only getting started. I couldn't choose him over Zep or Zep over him, they both made music which has given me so much happiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

To Disagree with just about everybody I liked Hendrix better...could float away to his music where as Zeppelins was more of a kicker...Whole lotta love!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭IamtheKing

It would depend what mood I'm in....
    Chilling out ( :cool: )- Jimmy Hendrix
    Wired( :D )-Led Zeppelin
    Both awesome though...
    I absolutely LOVE Whole Lotta Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

When you say Hendrix are you only refering to Jimi Hendrix? If so then it's somewhat unfair comparing one guy to a whole band!
    If I were comparing Hendrix to Page I'd say Jimi any day. The Jimi Hendrix Experience to Zep? Probably Zep by a nose.

Now if this was Hendrix versus Rory Gallagher... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

jimi was a genius but you cant really compare.If you hadnt heard either & you wanted to rock out i think you would opt for lz maybe its more structured or accesible i cant put my finger on it.
    Call me cynical but Ive often wondered what type of tripe jimi wouldve been releasing had he lived through the 1980s....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

hendrix by a mile

i really cant stand plants voice on zepplin songs...personally i think it just ruins some awesome riffs - whole lotta love, black dog etc etc
    he's got a nice voice for blues, i have some blues covers they did which i love, but on zepplin records i cant stand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Jimi Hendrix, hands down, an innovator.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Ok, current count best as I can figure it:

Jimi Hendrix: (9 votes)
    I am Man
    sovtek
    Lemming
    kleefarr
    ExoduS 18.11
    -AlcoholicA-
    Magnolia_Fan
    pyure
    Blub2k4

Led Zeppelin: (14 votes)
    Blisterman
    Giblet
    asphalt-cushion
    Ivan
    toffo
    mp3guy
    rasher_b2
    GaRtH_V
    RicardoSmith
    im_not_ok
    dregin
    Zulu
    Gyck
    Kingsize

Undecided: (3 votes)
    Doctor J
    It wasn't me!
    IamtheKing

And if by chance of fate ... as I started this thread, Voodoo Child started playing on winamp. Nobody else has ever come close to creating a song like this .....

To all the LZ fans (of which I count myself, although I bow to Jimi) consider what would have happened had Jimi not risen to prominence in the late 60's ...... what would the rock music landscape look like now? Where would Zeppelin, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, etc etc have been?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Undecided? Me? Not at all. I said I couldn't pick one above the other.

Advertisement