Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband

• 09-12-2004 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am finally getting broadband in, however since I am using Windows 98, I have been told to get an ethernet card for my PC (done and working fine)

My question is there - what kind of firewall software should I be going for - is there any decent free stuff out there or should I spend some cash on protecting my machine (not an issue)

I am just completely clueless about firewalls and need some pointers please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Zone Alarm is a popular free one, but most anti-virus packages ( you *do* have anti-virus?) include a firewall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I use Zone Alarm from http://www.zonelabs.com and I've never had a problem with it,blocks any would be hackers and prompts you before any program on your computer tries to access the net(you can set it to remeber certain progs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

zonealarm do a free version which is more than adequite for most people's needs.

they do a comparison of all their different products features, and a link to the free downloadable version here: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/comparison.jsp?lid=ho_za

should do you for starters until you get to know your needs and maybe decide on something else (or just got for the pro version).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I used to use zonealarm but found it too inflexible. Sygate personal is free and allows you to setup more rules such as if you wanted to redirect ports to hide common ones etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i have Kerio Personal Firewall.. it works grand althou it requires little effort to setup rules and filters if connected to a LAN... paid version comes with ad blocker, script checker, etc... i used to run ZoneAlarm but it crashed a lot... dunno why so I turn to Kerio...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

That's a bit of a misleading subject...

Most firewalls nowdays protect against attacks on Windows 2000/XP based OSs more than anything else, whether from viruses or programs "accidentally" installed on the system by the user .
    In all honesty, I'd seriously consider upgrading your OS first - e.g. get XP and use it's inbuilt firewall for protection against most virus/worm-based attacks.
    Once you've upgrade, then think about proper security.

Having a dailup connection is no excuse for having no security in place. In the same way, having broadband shouldn't mean having to pile on the barriers...

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The NTL modem has ethernet and usb ports. So you didn't need the ethernet card, but its good to have one anyway.

The firewall in Windows XP is rubbish. The free ones are much better, so why would you use the Windows XP one? First thing I do is turn off the windows one and install a free firewall. I never had a problem with Zone Alarm. I use sme of the other ones from time to time aswell. I also run Anti Virus, Anti Spyware and Adware apps.

Once you are behind a firewall does it really make much difference what OS you are running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Zone Alarm F'wall + AVG A'virus - both free, both way up there for features, for security and for ease of configuration & use. Also now that you've installed an Ethernet card, I'd seriously consider slapping a router between your NTL box & your PC, for added security (+ "wireless" if your PC is a laptop/you also have a laptop & want to browse/email around the house/garden as I do). No need for more (yet) I don't think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭roryodonnell

I used to use zonealarm but found it too inflexible. Sygate personal is free and allows you to setup more rules such as if you wanted to redirect ports to hide common ones etc.

I've tried Kerio and Zone Alarm (I think an older version) wasn't terribly impressed with the interface. They all to more or less the same thing. I preferred the sygate one. Like golf clubs, the main differences are cosmetic.

Recommending http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

how do turn off the firewall that comes with win xp?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The firewall settings are in the CONTROL PANEL, under SECURITY SETTINGS.

G'luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

cheers but found it a different way. just right click on the network connection icon on the system tray and select Firewall from the options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

GaRtH_V wrote:
    I use Zone Alarm from http://www.zonelabs.com and I've never had a problem with it,blocks any would be hackers and prompts you before any program on your computer tries to access the net(you can set it to remeber certain progs :)
    God I hate that pop-up in zonealarm, crashed my PC/games so many times >.<

Advertisement