Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISP Recommendations

• 10-12-2004 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

My 2 month eircom Broadband trial is up and i have to get an isp sorted.

Firsty im not going with eircom because of their ridiculous d/l caps.
    maybe thinking along the lines of the esat bt plus package with the 8 gig cap but again that doesnt really get my juices flowing considering i know im gonna d/l 15+ gigs per month. and i havent seen many threads on esat and was wondering do they throtle connections?

Its mainly for downloading and online gaming. I cant get IBB cause im in palmerstown n it aint covered, or ntl, i seen threads on netsource and digiweb so im not too sure about them becase i may aswell use dial up if there only getting 5kb/s on torrents.

So if anyone wants to post up past experiences or recommendations id appreciate it, is esat my only option........
    nice one lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I am with UTV. Find them good in general, their 16GB package is 45 euro I believe. I have the 8Gb package. They give you an option when you hit your limit - shut it off for rest of month or pay the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

If you wait for the new year, there will be some more DSL options that could well be worth waiting for :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

If you wait for the new year, there will be some more DSL options that could well be worth waiting for :)
    what do you mean?

id be interested in any information.
    pm me if you wish i can keep a secret .

Not really a secret, a few providers out there are currently beta testing and unbundling eircom exchanges, to offer a direct, non eircom dsl service (bar the local tail,m which eircom still need to install, but you dont have to pay them the line rental)

Expect some nice adsl and sdsl products in the new year at nice prices :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i havent heard anything about it.
    do you have any ideas of what might be available,
    will there be speed increases, cap increases or price drops?

and will this only affect people on exchanges that currently dont have broadband available?

sorry for all the questions but i dont want to miss out on something really good :)

• Advertisement

No concrete news yet on prices, caps, or otherwise.

Exchanges unbundled will be Dublin, Cork, Galway and spreading from there.
    It will be a -real- alternative to Eircom, in the same way Esats unbundled service is.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭voakesy

yeah but my trial is up b4 then n i really dont wanna be back on dial up. theres not many services available in my area anyways so i think esat is my only option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Call Esat/IOL and say you want to avail of their 3-month free trial and then see what the landscape looks like after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

Any more news on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

deepspeed wrote:
    Any more news on this?

Avoid digiweb. They're evil P2P throttlers. Also hated by CyberGhost! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

IOL wont give you a free trial if you have already had one from eircom.
    Although eircom will give a trial to anyone unless they had eircom before. and utv will give a trial to anyone who hasnt had utv before as far as i know.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

IOL wont give you a free trial if you have already had one from eircom.
    Although eircom will give a trial to anyone unless they had eircom before. and utv will give a trial to anyone who hasnt had utv before as far as i know.

Is it not the case that there is only one free trial available per line? And once you have had it with any isp thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

UTV makes you switch to their phone service as well if you want their BB.

Advertisement