Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your first anime movie that impressed u?

Options
  • 10-12-2004 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

What was your first anime movie that really caught ur interest/impressed u?

Mine was dominion tank police, i loved the stories and the music and style of the whoe thing, though its a little dated by today I still love it...........that and the legand of the overfiend! :D

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Laputa Castle in the Sky. Still my favourite :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Ghost in the shell!

what a piece of art!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

Mononoke Hime on a big screen in the cinema ... wooof :D

The first anime that I saw and I can really remember was Akira.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Doomed Megapolis and 3x3 eyes on Channel 4 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Doomed Megapolis and 3x3 eyes

Love those series :D

First anime I ever saw was 'Akira', but a local video store used to rent all the Manga Entertainment movies/series so there was always lots to choose from -- 'Fist of The North Star'...oooh it's 18s, let's rent that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Akira or Spirited Away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was 3x3 eyes when Channel 4 showed it. Was into anything gorey at the time and tht film more than satisfied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Was 3x3 eyes when Channel 4 showed it. Was into anything gorey at the time and tht film more than satisfied.

The gore was definitely a lot of the initial appeal of anime. 'Fist of the North Star' with its exploding heads was brilliant back in the day when cartoons on TV just couldn't satisfy with regards gore. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Macross + impressed me no end when I first saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

First anime movie I remember is Akira... damn that's a good movie. GitS is a good movie too. I haven't seen the 2nd one, is it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Back in the good old 80's when I loved watching films like Legend, The Dark Crystal and the like, there was also some great animated films that I absolutely loved, like The Last Unicorn, The Flight Of Dragons, and there was also Miyazaki's Castle In The Sky, which was probably the first anime I saw that I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Like alot of other people, it was GITS, though I remember seeing "ads" for Akira and GITS in Synicate Wars on the PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

has to be Evangelion for me also :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I certainly hope nobody saw the Eva movies before the series 0_o .
    Sure, it wouldn't make any sense at all; the only stuff you'd get would be the explosions :P .

The thread title does say movies after all :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Sadly enough I have to say my first was Ghost in the Shell, too.
    Looking back now, however, I'd have to say its pretty **** by comparison to some of the lesser mainstream movies.

Oh and whats the obsession with Akira?
    Ok, I get it. The bike scenes are pretty cool. The animation is great...
    But wtf is with the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

My first anime movie.....Ninja Scroll I think. First actual Anime I ever watched was one of the Dragonball ones, thats what got me hooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

CuLT wrote:
    I certainly hope nobody saw the Eva movies before the series 0_o .
    Sure, it wouldn't make any sense at all; the only stuff you'd get would be the explosions :P .

It doesn't make much sense with the series as it is. Even with the Red Cross book to fill in osme of the details. That being said I do own the DVD boxset and the EoE movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Ivan wrote:
    Oh and whats the obsession with Akira?
    Ok, I get it. The bike scenes are pretty cool. The animation is great...
    But wtf is with the story?

If you read the Manga's it explains it alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

yeah akira was the first anime i saw and it impressed the hell out of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Akira is the first one I remember.
    I used to stay up late to watch anime on Channel 4 when I was younger but I can't recall any of the films really.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Dominion Tank Police was my first Manga, I love the first animated Street Fighter and Ghost in the Shell.

Devil Man, Cyber City OEDO and Doomed Megalopolis in Ch4 were gret too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

akira was the first for me.....the animation was fantastic..i was in awe. ..and the music aswell..i still listen to the soundtrack...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I saw Akira some time in the early 90's, it blew me away, I'd never seen anything like it.
    Actually I'm pretty sure it was the first time I'd seen blood, guts, tits and cursing in an animated feature :eek:
    I actually bought Akira on DVD last year, but to my dissapointment - it was using some 'new and improved' voice acting and cleaned up the swear-words... which really took the edge off the piece as a whole, made it seem less serious somehow. :/
    I mean you can have guts squirting out all over the place, but you can't say f*ck?!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

3X3 eyes, was the first manga that really impressed me, like retr0gamer the first (and last) time I seen it was when Channel 4 was showing manga at some obscure hour on saturday nights, had to stay up for either 3 or 4 saturday nights in a row to see it all!! Next to that my all time favorite is Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, can't wait for the sequil to be released over here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Lydesia

Ghost in the shell. I read the brilliant manga first.
    They evangelion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senbotsu

The first one I seen and started my love of Anime and my all time fave, was Akira, I seen it at 2am on Channel 4 and it's been my all time fave anime flick since.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Spirited Away.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

Toss up between either 'Street Fighter The Animated Movie' or 'Spriggan', cant be sure which?!

But spriggan really blew me away!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

CuLT wrote:
    Laputa Castle in the Sky. Still my favourite :) .

aye either that or Gatcheman ( better know as Battle of the Planets).

but laputa i saw when i was really ill during crimbo one year .. only thing i can remember from that year =)

Advertisement