Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using 3G phone to surf net on laptop?

Options
  • 10-12-2004 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Is it possible to use a 3G phone connected to a laptop via Bluetooth to for internet access?
    Currently I use a Sony Z600 as a Bluetooth modem when I'm stuck,
    But the speed is crap- about 44kbps.
    I think 3G is something like 380kbps, would Vodafone limit this kind of use,
    Or would they be delighted to see someone piling lots of MB's onto their bill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

it is possible - been using a 6630 out and about with my Mac and with a good signal it's been pretty speedy... but still pretty pricey

as for the actual speed... watch for the wording used by the operators e.g. data rates of up to 384kbps... really meaning anywhere below 384kbps, so your mileage will vary

for reference here are some details about Vodafone's 3G Service for connectivity via the handset called "3G Modem"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Thanks for the link.
    How do you find the 6630? have my eye on a sony V800, due late Jan. as an upgrade.. but I might purchase in the meantime. :)

Advertisement