Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Gunsmiths ....?

Options
  • 10-12-2004 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A friend of mine has a very old Winchester DB side by side hammer shotgun.
    He needs some barrel work done ..

I haven't seen the gun myself , but I have been told the problem may be heavy barrel pitting ... May need re-barrelling for all i know.

As it's old and a bit special (Like me) ...:p

Are there any really good careful gunsmiths around up to doing this type of work..?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bernard93

Hi jaycee,

The only person i know in Tony in The Gun Gallery in Drogheda

041-9842225.... hes kinda expensive for what ever he does, but it will save you shipping to the U.K....

Hope this helps

bernard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Thanks Bernard...

I presume you or friends have found his work good..?

I'll pass on the information (Not my Gun)

jaycee,

Got some stuff done, just small bits and pieces!

over all work very good

whatever you do if your looking for a pistol dont go there!

he deals with Ardee sports and they are pushing the cz pistols (shot 2 in prague last week end not great stick to a glock 17)

he can be very dear!

bernard

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

He Is "Ardee Sports"

he deals with Ardee sports and they are pushing the cz pistols

Hmmm... Ok.!

BTW ..what kind of prices are they charging for these CZ's they'r pushing ..?
    Which CZ's (Models etc..).. There are quite a few .

• Advertisement

What I meant was that selling pistols is great, but that doesn’t mean you have to ripped of in buying one!

He has sold some CZ 75 and 75 D (compact) in 9mm at the moment, there is nothing in stock at this time in the shop so you don’t get a chance to have a look and feel at what you’re buying, there retailing at around € 700-800…..

What they are is a berretta 9mm type pistol, I shot one in Prague last week and there not great, the trigger is really heavy and recoil is noticeable in comparison to a glock 9mm or even a glock .45!

There is a dealer in the north that have glock 17 s and h&k s for around £300- £400, which are much better!

at least you have options ;)

you don’t get a chance to have a look and feel at what you’re buying
    For that kind of money I guess you really would want to at least handle the item..and preferably have a choice to compare it against.

Are they just "Out of Stock" ..or is this their standard way of doing business...?

im not really sure, i think its either Ardee sports just dont have them in stock or not handing them over to gun gallery until the buyer gets his license for pistol?

bernard

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

What all southern dealers are selling at the moment is serial numbers , none of them have been let bring in the pistols yet at least none higher than .22,In relation to bernards experience with the cz I think it must have been a poorly set up gun or something was seriously wrong , Cz pistols have generally ok triggers straight from the box and recoil in a cz is fine in 9mm as it is a nice heavy pistol and very controllable , I am biased because I own a cz85 but anyone who has shot much pistol would tell you a glock 45 is a pig to shoot , its a fine carry gun if you are a cop etc but a few mags through a 45 glock is enough , it kicks hard and quick follow ups are almost impossible . Personally I think 40 s and w is enough in a glock , the glock fans will come out of the woodwork now , but I know I can shoot 5-6 hundred rounds through my cz in a day very enjoyably and that you will not do with a glock 45, now a nice 1911 like Les has is a different story completely ........ also in relation to glock triggers it depends on the model ,standard ones are roughly around 5.5 pounds , ny1 is around 7-8 pound and ny2 is 12 pound , I have fired a glock with an ny2 trigger set up and its a beast , forget it , I would rather a wheelgun at least you have some chance of firing the thing with some degree of accuracy, standard glocks are alright but Im no glock fan, on the plus side you can put them in a dishwasher at night which I cant do with mine ............

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Lads, before you make a decision talk to some of the N.I.dealers, also visit one of the various pistol clubs, you can shoot most of the pistols already discussed and if the club does not have one on as a club gun then one of the club members will oblige. If anyone is interested in a club visit PM me and I will fill you in with the various details, and for the record Col Jeff Cooper rates two pistols 1911 and the CZ75!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

les45 wrote:
    for the record Col Jeff Cooper rates two pistols 1911 and the CZ75!!
    Ah, but what does he rate them for? :D

Seriously, it would be a good idea for anyone looking to get a target pistol to actually pick one or two types up physically and see how they fit to their hands. Grips can be modified to fit better, but things like rake angles and overall size are less easy to fix than the shape of the grip. The same obviously applies to rifles - had I tried the Anschutz 2002CA and the FWB P70 before buying, I might have gone with the P70 purely because the largest pistol grip on the 2002CA is slightly too small for my hand and I've had to build it up to compensate, whereas the P70's grip was large enough from the start.

Thanks Guys ..

Some great info there which I have passed on,
    and some really interesting stuff too...

The idea to try one in a pistol club hadn't occured to me ..
    seems an obvious thing to do though since so much on how a gun "fits" you.

It will be most likely late January before I get around to serious looking, so I have some time to be choosy.
    I was a little surprised that the CZ range wouldn't be considered better .
    These are the same people who build the CZ range of rifles , previously known as Brno . I have one in 22Lr and it's a sweet little gun .

I think (Under Licence ? ) they build copies ..or used to of the Beretta 92 ,
    and the BAP .. An EX-Army chap I know said his sidearm was CZ stamped BAP.

That may, or may not be; a recommendation .. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

I think (Under Licence ? ) they build copies ..or used to of the Beretta 92 ,
    and the BAP .. An EX-Army chap I know said his sidearm was CZ stamped BAP.

That may, or may not be; a recommendation ..

CZ did build a FN P35 hipower[correct name] during the 70&80s when FN was having quality control and sales problems.In the VIP protection world the CZ is considerd a if not THE professional gun ,next to the FN[which is still favourd by the old school UK BGs].Due to the fact that CZ was being made behind the iron curtain in the 80s.CZ did a deal with Tangilfio[sic] of Italy to make their products in the West.So the CZ the Tangilifo or the FN are fine guns.Never heard of CZ making a copy of the Bretta 92.

You do either love or hate the Glock,with most folks it is the DAO trigger that puts them off it. and I agree a 45 sub compact Glock HURTS if you have big hands to fire it.Rather the paraordance P10 or P12 myself.For REAL pain try the Glock in compact 357 SIG. INMO the Glock is a 9mm designed for robustness.I love the 1911 design as well in 45, never found one that works well in the "oddball" cals that are built for target or ISPC raceguns without very expensive tuning and tweaking. But I feel the Glock will work when the ol 45 will just go blah.The Glock just works fine when it is out of the box.Unless you want a GI spec 45,you gotta stick depending on the model decent sights,ambidex saftey and slide release if you are a left hooker,proably a tighter barrel bushing at the least,adding another couple of hundred quid onto the inital price.

Advertisement