Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive Mapping Names in XP - I want to see the letters

• 10-12-2004 1:09pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In 3.x / 9x and NT shared drives were mapped by letter eg X:

In XP mapped drives are displayed as
    Sharename on 'Server Description (Servername)' (letter:)

I want to have the letter first, then the Sharename, then maybe show the Servername and only if absolutley necessary show the server description.

Or if not possible then I really want to remove the server description . And no removing it from the server is NOT an option as it contains useful info.

Anyone got any ideas - this is really confusing for end users

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

right click on the drive and select properties, change the label to the drive letter, its not pretty but it would do, it will give them E: ( E: ) for example

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ok renamed drive and went looking through the reg. - it's not pretty

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\##192.168.0.1#D$]
    "BaseClass"="Drive"
    "_CommentFromDesktopINI"=""
    "_LabelFromDesktopINI"=""
    "_LabelFromReg"="D$ FixMe"

I could use Reg.exe from reskit and some unicode util - but it ain't going to work in a logon script

BTW: Mountpoints / Netsh / %windir%/system32/drivers/etc
    Is it me or are M$ using opensource in their TCPIP stack ?

[edit] found this - most definitley not pretty
    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4600/rh4600.htm
    When you map a network drive, My Computer shows:

Windows 2000 share name on 'computer name' (DriveLetter:)
    Windows XP share name on 'computer description' (computer name) (DriveLetter:)
    It refers to two mad batch files that use reg.exe and I'm not going to bother as it's too much work - probably easier to manually rename all drive mappings on the network save the reg file and upload it for each user..

RANT - why do they keep changing the user interface - I still reckon most admin tasks take an extra click or menu more every second version of windows /RANT

Advertisement