Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you play PC games through your TV?

Options
  • 10-12-2004 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭

I've got an s-video cable going from my graphics card to my widescreen TV and pro evolution soccer is a great experience on it.

One question though, for those of you who play PC games through your TV:

How do you manage FPS games like Doom, Half Life 2 etc where you need to use a keyboard and mouse? (I was thinking of buying a wireless keyboard and mouse but not sure how I'd be able to use the mouse effectively from the sofa for example.)

Sorry if this seem a silly question. Would be interested to hear how other people handle these games...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

would the picture not be of lower quality on your TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

would the picture not be of lower quality on your TV?
    Yeah, I tried using my TV for playing games once, but the quality is too bad, you cant read things on the screen like HP etc. Good for watching DVD's tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

playing on TV Sux balls man.

But the best solution for your question would probably going with a Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

As you said, wireless keyboard and mouse is what you need.. actually in my case i just used a wireless keyboard as my mouse was long and close enough to work.

Yes picture is MUCH lower quality... however since its a bigger screen it makes up for it in some ways... FPS are excellent on a TV.. i dont bether these days as the refresh rate is too crap and i dont want to **** up my eyes too much.. computer screens are bad enough.

Get yourself one of them big 30" LCD's for €1699 (lidl)
    Or a plasma or a projector. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only use it for emulators. Give them a great fuzzy look just like in arcades. If you want to appreciate new games a monitor is the best way. Or a HDTV :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

My TV is a fairly old one, doesnt have a s-video port.

Went looking for s-video to scart adapter, could only find one and it was 50 quid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You should be able to find one for about €10 max. Mabye what you say was a s-video to scart converter, these convert the signal and cost about €50.

I hoping to start play pc games on my projector when it arrives :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You should be able to find one for about €10 max. Mabye what you say was a s-video to scart converter, these convert the signal and cost about €50.

I hoping to start play pc games on my projector when it arrives :D

A RGB Scart to Svideo convertor is indeed about £50 and well worth it..

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Ave

damn, was hoping it was just dixons being expensive :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Matt Simis wrote:
    A RGB Scart to Svideo convertor is indeed about £50 and well worth it..

Matt

€10 in powerr city with 5 m cable and 5 m phonos all in one box.

Car games and such are good in tv out but Emulators, FBA+ SF2+ 2x Saitek Wireless p3000 =:D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

I picked up a 5 meter s-video cable in peats for 15 euros. I saw s-video to scart cables in there as well, and in maplins.

Picture quality is definitely much lower through the TV but then if you've ever had a PS2 or Xbox you'll be well used to that. As I said, pro evo soccer 4 is good through the TV.

One big advantage of an s-video cable is watching movies on your TV, saving you a fortune on CD-Rs and DVD-Rs.

Saruman: what surface do you use for the mouse?

Advertisement