Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pirates! Anyone played it?

Options
  • 10-12-2004 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Anyone played this yet? Was thinking of getting Vampires2 but considering some of the negative press concerning the bugs I might just hold off. Now I see Pirates for sale and while I haven't played the past incarnation of the game the entire idea sounds pretty cool and it has had some cool reviews.

Just wondered if anyone has played it yet and do u think I should get it.

Cheers,

CL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I haven't played it but have it on order from sendit.com for a very reasonable 18stg. PC Zone gave it a good write up and a score of 88% I think last issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yeah.... I'm kinda torn between getting a game like pirates which is new and different and Vampires2 which despite the bugs is supposedly a good game as well.....

knowing me I'll prolly just buy both and then be bitching about spending the money on em....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I found it very enjoyable, but it gets repetitive quickly once you've done everything. If you could rent PC games I'd recommend that because its a lot of fun but very short lived I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

it's unbelievably repetitive and pretty shallow. I was disappointed with it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ye, It is great, and brings back a lot of memories, but the travelling can get annoying, and things do get repetative.

If your just going to play this, then it wont last very long, if your playing it in bursts between other games it could be a lot of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's very much the same as the original, which I still play, only with updated graphics and sound. I quite like it. It's a damn sight prettier than the original's 16-colour glory and MIDI music. :) The ship and land combat is much more interesting and fun (how the wind affects each ship is very well worked out, and makes choosing direction of attack very important), but I'm a bit disappointed with the swordfights, they're still ok, but it's just not quite the same, I think. The romancing the governer's daughter is much improved, with extra missions and a nice distraction in the dancing bits. It's way too easy if you start as an apprentice or even journeyman, you'd want to play it on the higher difficulty levels from the start to get a proper challenge.

I'd seriously recommend you at least rent it to try out. If you've never played Pirates! before, you're missing out on a classic. It's cheesy swashbuckling high adventure shenanigans at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

got it... played it....l. I definitely see it as a game thats I'll play every now and then rather than non stop. It definitely on the repetitive side and definitely too easy on the lower levels.....

Advertisement