Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeples nights starting...

Options
  • 10-12-2004 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

he's 7months old.
    signs of teething...
    and for the last 7 days in a row, he sleeps for the most of 15 - 30 mins. then he wakes for 3 - 4 hours before crashing out again. for 15 - 30 mins..

is there anything i can do to help him sleep? he's very cranky over it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

bump**
    any help on this as its getting worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Each kid we had diff so some things that worked from worst to easiest.

patience
    walking the floors
    patience
    walking the floors rocking
    pateince
    being in direct view of baby position bed if possible into babys view
    patience
    dozol
    paralink
    best drug is herbal granules other 2 above work but granules the best.
    Better soother , teething ring

Teeth are being slowly rammed tru his gums , it would hurt so patience is needed, did i say patience?
    Usually once you figure out how to numb the pain for th 1st one , its get easy , dont figure it out and say goodbye to sleep :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

I know I'm late posting this for U Mike, but I doubt your lad has all his teeth at this stage. Cute lad by the way.

Our little girl is going through the same thing, the rear molars are cutting through. Her cheeks are fairly swollen & high red in colour.

We use dozol to numb the pain - Calpol makes our kids hyper...

Teething rings - keep them in the fridge (nice & cool on the teeth!) although there's a shopping bag we have with a wooden handle - she cann't get enough of it!!

Bongella - great stuff. Rub a blob on her gums & she settles down handily enough.

Our eldest used to love his gums being massaged.

There's a product called teetha, some people swear by it

Finally, if none of that works & your walked out of it - bring him for a drive to settle him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

If you can rotate the nights with your partner who gets up. For us these teething nights only last a little while and then his normal pattern will return and then it starts again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

back in the day Mike, I used calpol when she got bad - she used to get a temp
    also, there are toys that are especially for putting in your fridge, nice and cold on the gum, she used to chew the hell out of those!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

TEEGEL

If I could meet the person that invented it i'd kiss them and cry happy tears of thanks.

It comes in a little pink tube, smells of aniseed and is applied to the gums and it
    works damn near instantly. you have to ask the chemist for it and make sure that they dont give you the shampoo that has the same name.
    it will wear off eventually but combined with a childs painkiller it gives the time for the medicine to work and for the baby to settle and hopfullly sleep.

Stroking the edge of the babys ears can help too.
    If the baby is still fretting try some soothing music, mine at the ages of 4 and 6 still calm down and get sleepy when they hear certain classical track , great for car journeys :)

Calpol and teetha we used. We also have a few lullaby tapes and a Tomy noise machine, waves, jungle etc. All help to distract until they gat back to sleep.

Of course we've walked and rocked him for hours too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Don't have too many tips on the sleeping as luckily for me both mine were and still are great sleepers :) . Some things that spring to mind though would be to have a bedtime routine - say bath with lavender drops, bottle and cuddles and maybe a book and then to bed. Give him the same cuddly toy each night too. If he does wake and isn't crying maybe only whimpering or babbling don't go into him he'll prob go back to sleep himself. If he seems distressed just comfort him but try not to take him up unless of course he's really crying and upset. Often when Cian would wake and give a little whimper I'd just hold his hand and whisper comforting things and he'd go back to sleep.

The teething - all of the above are great for teething ie Calpol, bonjella and teetha. I would recommend Nurofen for Children as the best I've tried. Its also brilliant for sore throats and earaches. Another thing to watch out for is a temperature/fever with the teething - I bought a temperature strip in boots which is really handy. You just put it on the babies forhead for 15 seconds and it tells you whether the child has a normal, low fever or high fever. The Nurofen brings the temp down fairly fast. A high temperature can be frightening when you don't realise what it is but try not to panic if it happens and get the Nurofen into him asap. Teething rings that you can cool in the fridge are great for cooling down the gums. Poor little pets go through so much pain getting the teeth and then they all fall out when they are 6 or 7. I remember when Nat got her first tooth she was only 6 weeks and her little gum was bleeding after it cut through.

Theres plenty of books out there too on sleeping routines etc and rollercoaster.ie has a whole forum on sleeping.

last few nights were the worst.
    what i ended up doing was a dose of calpol and dozol?
    and then vics on his back and shoulders. he slept for a good 12 and a half hours. it was a miracle. he was in a great mood for the whole day after waking up. he was smiling for the whole day after a great nights sleep!
    poor kid. he needed it so badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Normally use Dozol about half to an hour before bed, to give it time to kick in. Then use Bonjela at bedtime and if needed during the night. A reasonably cold room also seems to help.

Would second Kids Nurofen as excellent for fevers.

• Advertisement

Mike - I don't think you should put vic rub directly onto the baby skin, it may cause a rash ( corect me if I'm wrong people!) we put it on the outer vest.

If he's "all bunged up" then put vic in the bath & run the shower on hot. Our bathroom is pretty small with a bath/shower & it steams up pretty good. Change clothes sfter steaming though - dampness!

Would third nurafen! - used it first time this weekend - dozol would not kick in at all -our 2 1/2 yr old ran 104 - there's a horrible virus over here, takes a while to shake off, I heard a lot of kids off school with it.

We used Paralink (not sure on spelling) supository in the middle of Sat night - worked fantastic, he hated it going in though. A bit too fretfull for all involved, I hope we never have to use it again. but kept his temp down till 2pm next day.... then it shot right up to 104 again. We took him to the doc for the second time - he told us to use nurafen junior it's working so far!

Be carefull with paracetamol!!!!

Theres baby vic...

we were advised by a doc about vic's...
    so er yeah shud ave said.. its baby vic :-P

n1 -i didn't know there was baby vic - must get some!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭loz_the_boz

teetha sachets worked a treat with our daughter,

I should steer well clear of dozol thought - horror stories of having to wean kids off it !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

my nipper had us up all hours until we used Teetha, Herbal stuff i think. Bloody great though, knocked our fella out and soothed his pain. He is just about 2 now and we still us it on occasions before we touch paralink/nurofen etc...

It may work for any sleepless heads out there

Theres baby vic...

You can rub it on the skin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Alanna

We are going through the same thing with our 9 month old daughter. I live in the UK and we have this great stuff called Calgel, the same brand as calpol, but it's got lignocaine in it which is kind of like the stuff you get in the dentist and it works fairly immediately. It's really great because I can't bear to see the little mite in pain. If you know anyone coming back from the uk for Christmas ask them to get you some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

My little un would eat ice cubes. as many as 3 in 15 mins! Also had rings. She got temperature couple of times but overall she didn't seem to fair too bad,

but definitley worth trying the ice cubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Mike,

We had and sometimes still have the same problem (sleepless nights) with our 17 month.

I asked for help on this board and got the best advice which really did work. A lavender bath every night before going to bed and spray the room about 30 mins before bedtime with a lavender spray. (We got all of this lavendar stuff in Boots). Our lad slept from 23:00 to 04:00 which was a hell of a lot better than it was.

A few months ago, all 3 of us went to the doctor for the babies checkup and I asked his advice on the babies sleep patterns. (Don't forget our baby was 12 - 13 months old at this point and would still wake us up a few times during the night). The doctor told us that instead of us in control of the baby, that the baby was in control of us. We were NOT to jump to every cry and not to be giving a bottle everytime he cried. We have been doing this and using the advice about the lavendar we got here and it does seem to be working for our baby. But ask the doctor / nurse when you take your baby for a checkup - this may not be appropriate for you.

On the teathing front, Teetha worked for us. Baby was calm 3 mins after taking teetha.

Life is tough when you don't get the full nights sleep (I used to take a 30 min sleep at lunchtime in my office). Baby gets priority, but you must look after yourself and more importantly look after your partner as well and have that talk with the nurse / doctor during the next visit.

Best of luck to you all.

• Advertisement

Please check the dates on threads before replying this one is 5 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Get rid of the thread so...

This person only asked a question!

We do not delete old threads, we ask that people start a new one rather then digging up an old one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement