Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony HD Walkman...

Options
  • 10-12-2004 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got one of these or used one?
    I really need to upgrade from my faithful old MD player, and being a brand loyal Sony customer for years now I'm steering toward this.

Thing is it's a lot pricier than the equivalent iPod or Zen or other similar 20gig players. Now price doesn't concern me that much and I find Sony is usually worth paying the premium for, but I've read some stuff about the new walkman that give it a thumbs down due to it not supporting file formats as well as the other HD players do (something about needing to convert all mp3s, wmas, etc to Soy's own format prior to loading them onto the player).
    So is this true and if so is it likely to change to a more user friendly method?
    I've gotten used to having to do this when transferring files across from PC to MD but the prospect of having to do it with my entire library is a major turnoff...

Any help much appreciated. :D

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Wertz wrote:
    ...(something about needing to convert all mp3s, wmas, etc to Sony's own format prior to loading them onto the player).

True, all the Sony devices use the ATRAC format. I have a NetMD, and frankly, it's a pain in the arse converting the tracks.
    Go for something with direct MP3 support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Wertz wrote:
    Anyone got one of these or used one?
    I really need to upgrade from my faithful old MD player, and being a brand loyal Sony customer for years now I'm steering toward this.
    Any help much appreciated. :D

This might be worth a read!!! :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Samson wrote:
    True, all the Sony devices use the ATRAC format. I have a NetMD, and frankly, it's a pain in the arse converting the tracks.
    Go for something with direct MP3 support.
    TBH I got used to the conversion crap and didn't mind it so much, when it was only a few minidiscs I was transferring to/from, but when I intend to transfer my whole PC library AND 99% of my CD collection, then something with a drag and drop or equally easy UI would be my first choice. There is the argument that the transfer only needs to happen once, but I change/update my libraries that often that it would be an issue...

I'm intent on steering clear of the iPod for some of the reasons outlined in Greenman's link (thx for that btw) as well as the fact that the one I demoed had that same "tinniness" to the sound. Since I'm a big listener to mainly electronic bass-heavy tracks, low end performance is important.

Looks like I'll be waiting for a HD3 and/or a price cut, and stick to lugging round MDs for a few months yet.
    Thanks again for the input...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Surely if you've been using a netmd then you already have lots of music in ATRAC? anyway, doesnt the ipod use AAC or something. €60 isnt that big a price difference for something that is a fair bit smaller than the ipod and has 30 hours battery life instead of 12.

Stekelly wrote:
    Surely if you've been using a netmd then you already have lots of music in ATRAC? anyway, doesnt the ipod use AAC or something. €60 isnt that big a price difference for something that is a fair bit smaller than the ipod and has 30 hours battery life instead of 12.
    That's a fair point but when I transfer music across from mp3/wma/etc I just wipe the atrac file from the library when it's done (since I can't see the point in having the same music file in 2 differing formats, one of which I wouldn't use on the PC anyway).
    As for ripping from CDs, I just did that with SimpleBurner straight to MD instead of ripping then converting etc.
    I agree the sony is worth the extra for the battery and size, but if it's going to be a hassle (at least in it's HD-1 guise) then I can prolly hold off for a few months till they release the 2nd gen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

greenman wrote:

Did you have a look at that Wertz???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

greenman wrote:
    Did you have a look at that Wertz???

That is a review of Sony's HDD music player which combines all the disadvantages of a typical HDD player (delicate, high battery life, no interchangeable disks) with all the disadvantages of Sony's Mini-disk (horrible buggy slow software, minimum compatibility with other formats/manufacturers).

SONY are entirely to blame for MD being a niche product, if they had opened up the format so that it could be used openly and not just for their sh1tty atrac compression it would have had a reak chance to become widely used for music and data applications.

SONY are not a brand worth being loyal to imo. They are at the forefront of selling products to people full of unreasonable use restrictions in order to bolster their content division.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I had a read of the review linked above, in his conclusion he writes " if there was a way I could return this thing, I'd do it in a second "

That and the fact that player needs software to work on a computer would make me steer clear and I do tend to buy Sony's stuff.

John R wrote:
    That is a review of Sony's HDD music player which combines all the disadvantages of a typical HDD player (delicate, high battery life, no interchangeable disks) with all the disadvantages of Sony's Mini-disk (horrible buggy slow software, minimum compatibility with other formats/manufacturers).

SONY are entirely to blame for MD being a niche product, if they had opened up the format so that it could be used openly and not just for their sh1tty atrac compression it would have had a reak chance to become widely used for music and data applications.

SONY are not a brand worth being loyal to imo. They are at the forefront of selling products to people full of unreasonable use restrictions in order to bolster their content division.
    Yes Greenman, I read the whole thing. Pretty helpful if not what I wanted to hear ;)

To be fair to Sony and their attitude of keeping closed formats, it worked for them several times in the past most notably with the CD so why change the habits of a lifetime. However, trying to omit or in some way bypass MP3 which has arguably become the world's leading music format is foolhardy and probably not as wise a business decision as it might have seemed at the focus group.

Ah well, I'll steer clear for now. Sooner or later some company will come up with a drag and drop HDD player similar to USB mp3 players.
    All any of us customers want is a simple UI, good sound quality, large storage and a nice unit; is it really that much to ask?
    Looks like Apple have it wrapped up for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

You're not exactly Mr. current affairs, are you? the irivers are drag and drop usb and also act as storage, hence why they're so popular...where's Cormie when you need him?!

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote:
    Yes Greenman, I read the whole thing. Pretty helpful if not what I wanted to hear ;)

To be fair to Sony and their attitude of keeping closed formats, it worked for them several times in the past most notably with the CD so why change the habits of a lifetime. However, trying to omit or in some way bypass MP3 which has arguably become the world's leading music format is foolhardy and probably not as wise a business decision as it might have seemed at the focus group.

Ah well, I'll steer clear for now. Sooner or later some company will come up with a drag and drop HDD player similar to USB mp3 players.
    All any of us customers want is a simple UI, good sound quality, large storage and a nice unit; is it really that much to ask?
    Looks like Apple have it wrapped up for now...

The Nw-HD3 is in the shops at the end of the week, and itll play mp3's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Stekelly wrote:
    The Nw-HD3 is in the shops at the end of the week, and itll play mp3's

Ste just read the review of the NW-HD3 Greenman posted earlier in the thread.
    Steer well clear seems wise advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Wertz wrote:
    To be fair to Sony and their attitude of keeping closed formats, it worked for them several times in the past most notably with the CD so why change the habits of a lifetime.

It was Sony and Philips that came up with the Red Book standard.. the two largest consumer electronics manufacturers at the time... there was absolutely nothing closed about it.

John R wrote:
    Ste just read the review of the NW-HD3 Greenman posted earlier in the thread.
    Steer well clear seems wise advice.

Ive used the nwhd1 a fair bit and the only complaint id have is the lack of mp3 support but thats sorted, so id have no issues now. Its very small and battery life is even better than whati get out of my zentouch which is 2 1/2 times the size,

Fabritzo wrote:
    You're not exactly Mr. current affairs, are you? the irivers are drag and drop usb and also act as storage, hence why they're so popular...where's Cormie when you need him?!

No it appears not.
    I'm more interested in listening to the damn music than being up to the f**king minute with the latest player technology, hence why I asked my initial question.
    All you had to do was post that the iRiver has those features, not make a f**king song and dance about it... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Or you could have done some of your own research instead of waiting for somebody here to lead you by the hand.

Makaveli wrote:
    Or you could have done some of your own research instead of waiting for somebody here to lead you by the hand.

Sure I could, or I could ask people who I thought might have had some more relevant input than a faceless website that only wants to sell me the damn thing to begin with.
    As for being lead by the hand, I tend to want to know what it is I'm shelling out for before I buy it. Strange I know...

Advertisement