Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDE/and ATA in same PC?

Options
  • 10-12-2004 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

I got one of the Lidl 250Gb Internal HDD for storage, before I could fit it my old Siemens died.
    I had also bought a RAID controller card to allow the use of drives over 137gb.
    I replaced the Old PC with a Dell 8400 which comes with a 80 gb ATA HDD, I have installed the Card however it still does not recognise the new 250gb HDD
    What am I doing wrong?
    Is it related to the jumpers on the back of the 250gb drive which is currently set to cable select mode?
    I am running XP pro SP2 BTW.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Need more info

Which drive is IDE and which is SATA?

Is the controller card RAID only, or can you use it with a single drive? (most raid setups need minimum 2x drives)

Assumption - 80 GB is SATA, 250gb is IDE

250GB should be set at master or slave not CS

ensure drivers for controller card are installed properly - ensure raid setup is configured properly (usually an option on boot for this "to enter raid config press F2 blah blah")

that should do it really.... if the conroller card is raid only, you'll need a 2nd drive on it and configure it as 0 or 1 (better 1 if its storage I suppose)

You mightn't need the conroller card at all - does the 8400 not have IDE as well as SATA controllers?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

As above more info the better. The spec of the HDD and is it IDE or SATA.

1. Check the jumpers on the back of the HDD
    2. Make sure the BIOS is setup to detect a HDD
    3. Check all the wires are in the right place (SATA 1/2 and IDE Slave/Master) that the master HDD is the furthest on the ribbon and that it is in the right slot on the Mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks for the help so far mucho appreciated.

The Lidl HDD is a 250GB IDE made by western digital WD2500JB ATA/100 interface, 7200rpm 8mb cache 100Mb/s transfer speed 8,9ms search
    PC came with 80Gb HDD SATA
    Controller Card is Extreme I/O DM-8401R ATA133 RAID Controller Card
    The mobo only has 1 IDE slot and the CD/RW is hooked up to this.
    This is a bit of a physical issue as the distance from the CD to the HDD is long.
    I didn't get the driver with the card and had to download one from the net.
    I wonder can I run both HDD's from the card instead of ATA from mobo and IDE from card?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Card specs

* Support two IDE channels with 4 P-ATA hard disks (note : No ATAPI devices support )
    * Support Raid 0, 1, 0+1 and JBOD
    * Support PIO, DMA and Ultra DMA modes
    * 512 bytes FIFO for auto transfer per IDE channel to get a high performance
    * Support the Scatter/Gather function for the DMA/UDMA function
    * Maximum IDE data transfer rate up to 133Mbyte / Second
    * Support over 137GB Big drive with LBA addressing
    * Include one embedded CPU to handle the RAID function for reducing system loading and improving the system's ability
    * Compatible with PCI Local bus specification v2.2
    * Supports PCI power Management v1.0 to reduce power consumption
    * Supports the drivers for windows 98SE/Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000/XP and Linux v2.4.1.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

It looks like the simplest solution is set the 250gb to slave to the cdrom drives master - then you dont need the controller card - keep it for when you want to set up a raid array

You can get a longer IDE cable at any PC store for less than a tenner

• Advertisement
Advertisement