Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Westlink tollbridge Fúckers!!!!!

Options
  • 10-12-2004 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

WTF.. i repeat WTF!!!! :o

Bloody rant here!!!! Got a leaflet today with the new toll charges from the new year and its going from €1.50 to €1.80 for a car!!!! Feck sake that damn bridge was supposed to only be a toll bridge for 10 years when it first appeared and its still going and keeps being put up.. even when the euro came in the feckers put it up ABOVE the euro conversion to round it off.. b@satards...

Done suppose anyone wants to organise a blocade or some kind of protest or something... i would say trucks are being hit too so get them on our side!!!

At the moment i avoide the toll bridge unless i HAVE to use it but im considering avoiding completely now from the new year as €1.80 us just too much to cross a bridge and save 15 mins on going through chapelizod/castleknock!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Add the fact too that €1.80 is much more awkward to get together in coins than €1.50 was thus making the automatic coin bucket option less attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Typical of this country. Ill be avoiding it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Saruman wrote:
    Done suppose anyone wants to organise a blocade or some kind of protest or something...
    I hear they do that every morning. :p
    Saruman wrote:
    i would say trucks are being hit too so get them on our side!!!
    Except, well they have work to do.
    Saruman wrote:
    At the moment i avoide the toll bridge unless i HAVE to use it but im considering avoiding completely now from the new year as €1.80 us just too much to cross a bridge and save 15 mins on going through chapelizod/castleknock!!
    Well how much is your 15 minutes worth?

East Link will be going up also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Here's a little trick on how to avoid paying the toll fee. Drive up to the toll booth as usual. However, when none of the Westlink workers are watching, hop out of your car and quickly press the "shrink car to pocket size" button. When your car has shrunk, stick it in your pocket and casually stroll though the barrier. If anyone approaches you, just tell them that you do not have a car. If anyone enquires about the bulge in your pocket, just tell them that you're pleased to see them.

When safely on the other side and out of sight, bring the car back to full size, hop in and drive off. Keep saving the toll fees and then buy the one you love something extra special at Christmas.

Disclaimer: This may only work with cartoon cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Add the fact too that €1.80 is much more awkward to get together in coins than €1.50 was thus making the automatic coin bucket option less attractive.
    And lots of drivers who use the automatic lane will now throw in 2 euros as they won't be bothered fiddling around with coins to get 1.80 together. I wouldn't be surprised if picking an awkward amount like 1.80 was a deliberate ploy by NTR.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

It's hard to see how a 20% rise is justified, especially with inflation now under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Victor wrote:
    Except, well they have work to do.

Never seems to be a problem for the French truckers, they are apparently able to use their trucks to block roads for weeks at a time no bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You just KNOW it will be €2 by the end of next year!! Look they already make a profit... who knows how many users there are a day? I dont think it would be too much of a stretch to say 100,000 a day.. that may cover all the toll bridges east - west and the M1 too.. BUT anyway assuming 100,000 cars use the westlink (only) today they get €150000 for one day.. not bad... now with the increase thats an extra €30k a day!! there is no justification for it.

I notice motorbikes have not gone up.. probably so they dont all do what some of them do now.. just go in beside a truck and drive through.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

To make it worse, not all vehicles are cars. A high percentage are Vans and Trucks. It costs €3 for a van on the West Link and €5 and bloody 20 cent for a truck over 4 axles! Where did they get the 20 cent from?

Factor this into the equation and you will find that the profits soar!

As for the motorbikes ducking on the inside of the trucks – is their life only worth 80 cent? This is so dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

It's really crap when you look at the percentage increase for each kind of vehicle. Cars are taking a major hit relatively more than anyother vehicle. Motorcycles have not gone up and I dont think vans and trucks got the full 20% increase either.

• Advertisement

Kazujo wrote:
    Cars are taking a major hit relatively more than anyother vehicle.
    Sshhh! It's a conspiracy to discourage non-essential car use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I only use the M50 occassionally,but it is becoming more like a car park than a motorway because of the crazy hold ups at the toll bridge !

Do you like it - 'hold ups' - ?! :D

'Daylight robbery' is another name for it ! :mad:

The toll bridge should be open, at the very least during peak hours, for motorists to pass through and pay NO toll.
    The govt could subsidise this money from their (vast!) profits/shares in the M50 Toll bridge.

This idea has been advocated by the AA's Conor Faughnan for years.

Silvera wrote:
    I only use the M50 occassionally,but it is becoming more like a car park than a motorway because of the crazy hold ups at the toll bridge !
    I though most of the delays were on the N4- Cookstown section these days.
    Silvera wrote:
    The toll bridge should be open, at the very least during peak hours, for motorists to pass through and pay NO toll.
    And then everyone would travel at peak time. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Silvera wrote:
    The govt could subsidise this money from their (vast!) profits/shares in the M50 Toll bridge.
    What shares does the Govt have in National Toll Roads plc?

RainyDay wrote:
    What shares does the Govt have in National Toll Roads plc?
    NTR have to pay a royalty. I think it's split between Fingal & South Dublin Co. Co. and the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Victor wrote:
    I though most of the delays were on the N4- Cookstown section

Nope.. i use it every day and there are hold ups at some of the main junctions but there is almost always a hold up at the toll bridge that once you get through you have plain sailing all the way to the next junction...

On another note i think all the "problem junctions" should have a lane * you need to be in, one thats got a barrier on it so if you dont get into the right lane then tough go to next junction and come back then. They do this in some european countries. Most of the traffic jams are phantom.. cause by one person breaking to try and get into a junction at the last possible moment and it filters all the way down the line of traffic till it has to stop.

*third lane like the one between ballymount and red cow. Come off ballymount and you can stay in the filter lane all the way to red cow. Only on that becomes walled/barred so if you miss it you cant force your way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

sounds like a great idea to me Saruman !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Isn't this called traffic management ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Victor wrote:
    I hear they do that every morning. :

ROFL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Here's a little trick on how to avoid paying the toll fee....

Brilliant :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

It is scandalous that they can put up the rates by 20% - who approves this? the government? an industry watchdog ot no-one?!
    Bet their pay rates for staff have not gone up by 20% but that their profits will!

Also check out www.ntr.ie - they post the financial results here. The results for the first half of 2004 show that the group profits rose by 62% (yep! thats SIXTY TWO PERCENT!) for the first half 2004 v 2003.
    They managed to increase the dividend by 10%.
    The grooup also incudes the Broadband and Windfarm operations - I wonder if they are creaming the profits from the toll bridges to fund their broadband business cos that is making losses.....
    Anyways the profit from toll operations went up by 35% (again THIRTY FIVE PERCENT!!!!)

Who should be lobbied against this rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I couldnt believe this when I seen the signs on the toll!

This will mean that Im paying them €18 a week at least for my car, I wouldnt mind if they put an extra lane in to reduce the congestion on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

I couldnt believe this when I seen the signs on the toll!

This will mean that Im paying them €18 a week at least for my car, I wouldnt mind if they put an extra lane in to reduce the congestion on it!

Instead you'll be paying ¬18 to park your car on the M50.....its just typical of this goverment to allow this hike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The public should intensly lobby their politicians to force our government into putting a compulsory purchase order on both of those bridges, and pay NTR a fair amount for the structures, then remove all the barriers and just have them as normal bridges.

Any political party taking on that line during the next election may find themselves quite popular indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

This will mean that Im paying them €18 a week at least for my car,

And if you have to do this 50 weeks a year thats 50*18 === !900! euro in tolls for one stretch of road.

HaHa - glad I dont live in Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

spockety wrote:
    The public should intensly lobby their politicians to force our government into putting a compulsory purchase order on both of those bridges, and pay NTR a fair amount for the structures, then remove all the barriers and just have them as normal bridges.
    Is this really the top priority for Govt spending in your mind? If the Govt has spare cash available, why not spend it on improving the public transport system, or even schools or hospitals. Nationalising the toll-bridge would be a long way down my list of priorities.
    spockety wrote:
    Any political party taking on that line during the next election may find themselves quite popular indeed.
    Do you want a repeat of 1977? Fianna Fail bought their way into power with a series of outrages promises (no road tax, no rates) that were paid for with taxpayers money. They bankrupted the country, drove us into huge debt, and it took 10-20 years to recover. Don't fall for populist promises - it's easy to make promises when you can pay for them with public money.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

RainyDay wrote:
    Do you want a repeat of 1977? Fianna Fail bought their way into power with a series of outrages promises
    Reminds me of the last general election!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I don't follow the thread divergeance: why ask for the Gvt to buy the bridge when lobbying against the 20% would suffice?

If the "profits figures" alleged earlier in the thread are accurate,

and the Gvt (who stands to cream so more itself if prices go up, as I'd imagine their portion to be a percentage) gets a strong enough hint of serious grumbling/possible blockade (let's dream altogether now, but my French DNA is hard to suppress...will probably be first in line to block... must resist :D),

then that might prod them to address the situation - as I'd hate to imagine the backlash they'd take from the Dublin business comunity as their commuting employees all show late/can't get to work, and lost revenue/profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

The NRA were on the last word on today fm yesterday, the reason they gave for the increase is to pay for extending the motorway to 3 lanes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Boggle wrote:
    And if you have to do this 50 weeks a year thats 50*18 === !900! euro in tolls for one stretch of road.

...And this is after you paid your "Road Tax" :mad:

Advertisement